Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:10 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times

Advertisements

After reading through the last few pages of the forum, I'm amazed that no one is talking about fuel prices and their effect. How are you coping with higher gasoline and diesel prices --- more carpooling, less driving, more fuel-efficient vehicles? Or are folks in Nebraska so affluent that a 50 percent increase in fuel prices just rolls off your backs? What are farmers doing as the prices of tractor fuel and fertilizer soar? Friends in Illinois tell me that farmers there aren't planting as much corn because of the high fertilizer requirements. Instead they're planting soybeans and, in some cases, wheat.

Here in Maine, the tourism industry is sweating bullets over the effect on their business. The number of RVs and campers on the highways is way down this weekend. And residents are already worried about how they'll heat their homes next winter with heating oil over $4 a gallon. (We don't have the natural gas pipeline infrastructure that Nebraska does.)

Meanwhile Mexico, our second or third-largest source of imported oil, reported this (courtesy of theoildrum.com):

Mexico's state-run oil company says output fell 9 percent to 2.87 million barrels a day in the first four months of the year, as production at its biggest oil field sagged.
Petroleos Mexicanos said Friday that output at its main Cantarell oil field dropped by 416,000 barrels a day, or 26 percent over the same period last year.
That decline helped sink exports to 1.48 million barrels a day, down 13 percent from the year-ago period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,790 times
Default Gas UGGGGHHHHH

I just dont go out as much and do most of my business on line or on the phone

Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 AM

21 posts, read 69,846 times
I'm retired...so don't drive on a daily basis. I also live fairly close to a new grocery store and drive a small car. I try to stay within my budget for fuel even if that means not completely filling the gas tank. I normally fill my tank twice a month.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
I know many folks that are chosing to do more local or regional vacations, instead of flying or driving a long ways.

The good news for Nebraska is that it was recently recognized as a very economical place to vacation: See related CD Thread.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:26 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times
The effect has been relatively small for me. While I'm not affluent, I have a Ford Focus that gets pretty good gas mileage. The biggest impact for me is that it lowers the money I have for going out to eat, etc. Luckily, I didn't buy an SUV so while it sucks to pay $40 to fill my tank, that's nothing compared to what a lot of people pay. Plus it helps that I only work 10 miles from my home.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I haven't put gas in my chevy S10 truck in almost 3 months. Obviously I drive very little. I guess its not affecting me very much other than food and whatever else is being affected by gas prices. What is affecting me the most is listening to the nonstop complaining from people here in Portland about the gas prices. Most of them could walk, or take all this transit but I guess they rather drive and complain.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
Wish I could say the say, its beginning to put a burr under my saddle if you catch my drift here. Probably what I should be doin is gettin the saddle out more and riding the horse.

But when you live out where I do and its 25 miles one way to about anything and I put on I would say an average of 100 miles a day, its hittin me where it hurts. We will be backin off clearing some cedars this year from pastures due to price of diesel for sure. Lookin for a small pick up that we can drive to check cows in instead of the big'un. Makes it tough when you are used to pullin the horse trailer around with a horse or two in back to check cattle with. Can't always get to were you need to be with a vehicle and atv's haven't been the answer in the past either.

As for travel plans, we stayed put this Memorial weekend. But other than that we will make the usual treks to cattle shows and what not this year and pay the price.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
Wish I could say the say, its beginning to put a burr under my saddle if you catch my drift here. Probably what I should be doin is gettin the saddle out more and riding the horse.

But when you live out where I do and its 25 miles one way to about anything and I put on I would say an average of 100 miles a day, its hittin me where it hurts. We will be backin off clearing some cedars this year from pastures due to price of diesel for sure. Lookin for a small pick up that we can drive to check cows in instead of the big'un. Makes it tough when you are used to pullin the horse trailer around with a horse or two in back to check cattle with. Can't always get to were you need to be with a vehicle and atv's haven't been the answer in the past either.

As for travel plans, we stayed put this Memorial weekend. But other than that we will make the usual treks to cattle shows and what not this year and pay the price.
I was out by Chadron earlier in the month and several folks told me they were starting to rely again more on horses. One for his operation thought it was going to be cheaper to get a young hired hand (high school or college student) and an extra horse if they cut back on fuel.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
We are seriously having to look at what pastures we will use this year also. With one partial of land being 90 miles one way to it, checking on cattle is going to get costly. We need to use it to keep our herd at the level it is at this time or over graze other piecies of pasture which is not an option. Or cut back on herd size. I guess time will tell.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
We are seriously having to look at what pastures we will use this year also. With one partial of land being 90 miles one way to it, checking on cattle is going to get costly. We need to use it to keep our herd at the level it is at this time or over graze other piecies of pasture which is not an option. Or cut back on herd size. I guess time will tell.
Was just talking to someone this morning that didn't understand the vastness of the ranches in the central-western portion of the state... once it was pointed out, they made the comment about the high fuel price and how much beef costs could go up because of how far you all need to drive to do the basics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska