Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,770 times

Advertisements

My mother's relatives are from McCook, NE. My grandfather was murdered and left to die on a dirt road outside of McCook, ( case never solved) so I don't care much for that town. I like the idea of the plains and open country. The Sandhills are breathtaking. Outsiders aren't very welcome who come in with an attitude, especially McCook. I just met a neighbor here in MO who was run out of town with threats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 AM

45 posts, read 94,074 times
Since I moved to Dallas I have missed the wonderful Nebraska way of life. Sometimes I think that Nebraskans live to work, go to church and talk about Husker Football. There's a large group of Nebraskans who still get together to watch the Huskers when they are on TV. I miss Valentinos Pizza, Runza and The Henry Doorly Zoo. I also miss the state museum and all the exercise trails we had in Lincoln. It now amazes me how extensive they are. There's nothing like it in suburban Dallas. The fact is Lincoln and Omaha are both gems. Of course you can't forget towns like Kearney, Nebraska City, Chadron or Scottsbluff. They are all pure Americana. Last but not least, there was not a better place to come to after I married my wife. The friendliness of Nebraskans was something she didn't expect coming from a city of three million people.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:18 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward08 View Post
Since I moved to Dallas I have missed the wonderful Nebraska way of life. Sometimes I think that Nebraskans live to work, go to church and talk about Husker Football. There's a large group of Nebraskans who still get together to watch the Huskers when they are on TV. I miss Valentinos Pizza, Runza and The Henry Doorly Zoo. I also miss the state museum and all the exercise trails we had in Lincoln. It now amazes me how extensive they are. There's nothing like it in suburban Dallas. The fact is Lincoln and Omaha are both gems. Of course you can't forget towns like Kearney, Nebraska City, Chadron or Scottsbluff. They are all pure Americana. Last but not least, there was not a better place to come to after I married my wife. The friendliness of Nebraskans was something she didn't expect coming from a city of three million people.
I am not big into the Huskers(I actually don't care at all,I watch Major League Baseball and soccer). I do go to church as often as I can.

I haven't tried a runza, but I hear it's good. If I ever get up to Lincoln,NE, I'll give one a try.

As for friendliness, I have never been to Nebraska, so if I do get there on a trip, I will see.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

61 posts, read 183,200 times
What I like about Omaha is that its like one big neighborhood, you could practically drive from one side to another through them. Almost anyone can keep their head above water financially. People are corteous, but also mind their own business. Nothing is a rush, dinner and a movie here, concert there, church or bar take your pick, walk your dog, go swimming, volunteering isn't hard, its easy, and everyone can get home in time for a homecooked meal and the lastest episode of whatever on the same Cox cable box everyone has. I think that makes getting up and going to work easier. You get to spend a lot of time with friends and family. The best memories I have are from spontaneus amusement with friends, I think thats true for a lot of us. And every one listens to the same classic rock on the radio. Theres an omaha mentality thats hard to define, we share some subconcious collective of little things that all of us have experienced in our ways. Everyone has a old tree in their yard too, haha.

I think that sums it up pretty good. Anyone else know what I mean? Thats my midtown life experience.

Last edited by MR.JEFFY; 01-22-2009 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
that is so nice to hear. My husband visited a few weeks ago and got that vibe too. He thinks we will love it there. Good to hear!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,198,201 times
In case you haven't noticed in the gay threads I've started, Nebraskans can be quite hateful towards the gay community, if not completely ignorant about gay issues and the community.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM

61 posts, read 183,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
In case you haven't noticed in the gay threads I've started, Nebraskans can be quite hateful towards the gay community, if not completely ignorant about gay issues and the community.
Are there issues in the community? I don't ever hear anything about them. I've never heard of a gay community in Omaha. I don't even know what the gay community does publicly. I never hear about hatefulness either. I guess i'm ignorant but how would I involve myself in a different lifestyle? I have no reason to be a part of it because i'm not gay or have met any gays. That does sound like I separate myself from gays because i'm not gay, but what I mean is that I wouldn't go to a gay bar beause I need to have a gay friend to be accepting of gays, but if I met a gay person anywhere that was a cool person I would have no problem being a friend. All I can do is be a voice for civil rights or something, but like I said I don't notice anything of issues, its not out loud here.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4hm View Post
My mother's relatives are from McCook, NE. My grandfather was murdered and left to die on a dirt road outside of McCook, ( case never solved) so I don't care much for that town. I like the idea of the plains and open country. The Sandhills are breathtaking. Outsiders aren't very welcome who come in with an attitude, especially McCook. I just met a neighbor here in MO who was run out of town with threats...
Call you tell me why this is?

I have sort of the traveler in me. I might stop in Nebraska.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.JEFFY View Post
Are there issues in the community? I don't ever hear anything about them. I've never heard of a gay community in Omaha. I don't even know what the gay community does publicly. I never hear about hatefulness either. I guess i'm ignorant but how would I involve myself in a different lifestyle? I have no reason to be a part of it because i'm not gay or have met any gays. That does sound like I separate myself from gays because i'm not gay, but what I mean is that I wouldn't go to a gay bar beause I need to have a gay friend to be accepting of gays, but if I met a gay person anywhere that was a cool person I would have no problem being a friend. All I can do is be a voice for civil rights or something, but like I said I don't notice anything of issues, its not out loud here.

Have you ever left your house? If you have, you have met many gay people.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:24 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Well she just displayed typical Nebraskan ignorance and unacceptance of others. She really is turning into a real Nebraskan. Good for her.
This is an example of how the world is turning upside down. So, you are chastising SCGranny because you feel she will be unaccepting of others who will not do their share, be lazy, etc??? I have no more words for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska