Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times

Advertisements

After living about 98% percent of my life here and in many parts of the state, I would say that Nebraskans (more so outside of the Omaha/Lincoln areas) are self righteous, holier than thou, conservative snobs.

Everyone here thinks their **** doesn't stink just because they were lucky enough to be from Nebraska. They don't like change and are BEYOND socially conservative. Especially away from the cities I find more people to be heavy drinkers even before legal age because they have nothing better to do.

Nebraskans will accept you if you're a white, christian, conservative. Like I said this doesn't hold true for Lincoln or Omaha areas because they are used to being around people different from themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 AM

438 posts, read 1,508,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyle View Post
We are moving to Nebraska in February.

The very first thing I will be doing is hanging up my LSU flag. WOOO HOOO. I don't care if I do get beat up. Geaux Tigers is right!
Yeah! Another Tiger fan! I think we may be as fanatical as Cornhusker fans.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Well, we live on a bunch of flat land, which we use to raise corn and cows. When the cows are fat we take them to the big city cow towns Lincoln and Omaha. During the winter those not in the cow towns of Lincoln and Omaha we sit in our sod houses and dream about cable tv and the internet. Course Lincoln and Omaha are like those wild west towns in the movies with lots of shootouts. On Sundays we take the covered wagons into town for church. Saturdays are for football, as this is the only thing, other than corn and cows, that we do. Of course this is not when we are running from natives or buffalo or dealing with our daily bouts with tornadoes or blizzards.
Sounds a lot like us Cajuns. We all have webbed feet to swim through the bayous. For fun we wrestle alligators. After wrestling, we shoot and eat the alligator. We all live on houses raised on stilts, of course located deep within the swamp. We sound exactly like the guy from "Waterboy" when we try to speak English. Cars are not popular, but fanboats are. Our food is so spicy we can actually breathe fire. We eat everything that moves in the swamp. We also throw the best hurricane parties!

Last edited by momlady530; 01-26-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Thats' great Hey, your airboat will work great on the Missouri

Old 01-26-2008, 07:49 AM

tpabes, I could try to use my airboat on land to hunt those wild buffalo. I bet cow-tipping would be much more fun that way.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
I bet cow-tipping would be much more fun that way.
So would snipe hunting.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 AM

7 posts, read 38,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
Yeah! Another Tiger fan! I think we may be as fanatical as Cornhusker fans.
I am going to have to disagree there.. I dont think anyone is more fanatical than Tiger fans.

Are you moving from LA to NE ?

My entire close and extended family is still in the Baton Rouge area. I am the only one that has left the state.

I do miss it and am thrilled to be going back for a week long visit next week.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Hmmmmmm, sounds like DTO is just another Liberal that's out of his element. But thank you, the more Conservative Nebraska is, the more and more I like it!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:24 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
After living about 98% percent of my life here and in many parts of the state, I would say that Nebraskans (more so outside of the Omaha/Lincoln areas) are self righteous, holier than thou, conservative snobs.

Everyone here thinks their **** doesn't stink just because they were lucky enough to be from Nebraska. They don't like change and are BEYOND socially conservative. Especially away from the cities I find more people to be heavy drinkers even before legal age because they have nothing better to do.

Nebraskans will accept you if you're a white, christian, conservative. Like I said this doesn't hold true for Lincoln or Omaha areas because they are used to being around people different from themselves.
Interesting. I am a somewhat of a progressive thinker who is liberal in some areas and I do not find Nebraskans to fit your stereotype. There are many Nebraskans, rural and urban, who are sincere and decent people. Yes, they may be conservative, christian, and white, but they are not snobs and are down-to-earth people. If you treat them with respect, most are likely to return the respect. If you come off with a preconceived judgment toward the rural folk, they can sense it and will let you know.

With the younger people having drinking problems, the problem is also common in larger cities such as Lincoln and Omaha. I would not be surpised that it happens all of the time in a college city such as Lincoln and in Omaha, but it may be more hidden because they are larger towns where the small town concept of "everyone knowing everyone else's business" does not apply. I think that the "everyone knowing everyone else's" business in small towns can be a pain at times but it has its benefits. People in smaller towns often look after each other and pull together in hard times, which is often harder to find in larger cities. I live in a small town and am aware of how small towns operate. If someone is sick with cancer for example, it is common for members of the community to pull together and to help. This concept helps deter crime and odd behavior and that is why crime tends to be lower in the small towns when compared to cities.

Nebraskans are a proud and decent people overall. Yes, the people have their problems like everyone else. But they have their positive qualities also.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 35,397 times
how are nebraskans with foreigns/immigrants (hard-working and USA loving ones)? not too welcoming? thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska