U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:58 PM

22 posts, read 84,456 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this board for a while and though there have been similar posts, I thought I would post a more recent one with specific requests. I just moved to Lincoln and am really excited to be here. In the last 8 years I've lived in NYC and eastern NC so I have varied experience in different types of communities and I have realistic expectations about what Lincoln has to offer. That being written, this is not a topic for haters. Please don't waste both of our time writing about how Lincoln sucks. One because it doesn't and two, I'm here, glad to be here and anyway, there's no turning back. So take this opportunity to brag about your little corner of the world.

I need recommendations for the following things. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated. If you can't recommend something but do have advice on who/what/where to stay away from, I'll take that as well. And if you have an address/cross street for anything, I'd love that too. Here goes:

Medical
Allergist
Dentist
Optometrist

Restaurants / Take Out / Food (specifically but not limited to)
Pizza (NY style)
Tex Mex
Chinese
Thai
Subs/Deli
Breakfast
Diner
Burgers
Steak
Ice Cream
Doughnuts
Regional Food / Snack
Gourmet Food Store
Grocery Store
Food Co-op
Produce
Bakery
Butcher / Meat

Entertainment
Art Museum / Gallery
Movie Theatre
Town Event
Alternative rock station
Modern/Pop station
Favorite place in town
Least favorite place in town

Misc.
Dry cleaners
Mechanic
Car wash
Cheapest gas
Furniture store
Hairstylist / Salon
Aenethestician / Spa
Manicure / Pedicure
Bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 PM

34 posts, read 414,298 times
Welcome to Lincoln. You'll find it's obviously much slower pace than NYC, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As far as medical, let me recommend Dr. Dean Dutter, a dentist off of 33rd & Pioneer. Very clean, upscale (for Lincoln) practice, and the most gentle dentist I've ever had. I can't speak to an allergist or optometrist.

Restaurants:

I'm not sure what exactly "NY style" pizza is, but from the other places i've lived (Las Vegas, Chicago), you'll find that Lincoln STINKS in terms of pizza. My favorite here is Ramos at 48th & Normal which is a local place, and there are a very few other local places, unfortunately most places here are the big chains.

For chinese, try Windchimes on 34th & Old Cheney for a little more upscale, or Zhangs on Coddington & A St. for a more local place that is a favorite around here.

Planet Sub is a pretty good sub place, but is of course a chain. Downtown Deli on 10th & O is a more local sub place, however i've had very very good there, and very bad as far as quality, its kinda hit and miss depending on whose working that day it seems. You probably won't find anything in terms of deli's here as you did in NYC.

For butcher, I find I get the best cuts of meat from Hy-Vee, however there is also a more local place called "Leon's" off of 30th (or so) & South Street that would probably more customize anything you would order to your needs.

Lincoln has a few nice options, but overall you are going to be disappointed in terms of differing styles of food coming from the east coast to here. Omaha is much more diverse in terms of food than Lincoln.

However a few other local places that are popular are The Mill in the Haymarket (coffee), Runza (fast food that is probably a level above your typical mcdonalds as far as quality), The Oven in the haymarket (indian food).

Most of the art stuff is going to be around the university, where you have the Lied Center for performing arts (12th & Q), the university art museum (can't think of the name off hand for some reason). We also have a movie theatre for indie type films, called Mary Riepma Ross on campus as well.

As far as town events, if you've been here 5 minutes, you already know about the Huskers. Quite the scene on Saturdays in the fall. I recommend, even if you can't get tickets or don't want to pay for them, at least go down to Stadium Drive on a gameday and soak up the atmosphere. There is July Jam in the summer (i think they still do it, i thought i saw something about them possibly cancelling it) which is like a bunch of local bands, food, beer and they close off a few streets downtown. Ribfest comes through Lincoln in August if you're into that type of fare. Cornhusker State Games if you're into sports or outdoorsy things.

As far as radio, you'll find everyone seems to be switching formatting to classic rock around here. 104.1 the Blaze does alternative/modern rock type stuff, and 102.7 does pop rock, along with a few other stations.

If you're young(er), you might dig the downtown bar scene. Especially during the college year, tons of people downtown having fun. Alot of good bars. Try a fishbowl at Duffy's. It's kinda my favorite place in Lincoln, probably, other than Memorial Stadium on gameday. Haymarket park is a really nice place to catch a baseball game in the spring/summer too.

Least favorite part of town? Nothing that comes to mind off the top of my head.

For a good mechanic, check out John's Auto Service on 12th & Saunders. I've found they have never tried to rip me off or do anything extra that isn't required, and they do good work.

Furniture store if you're looking for biggest selection and cheapest prices go up to Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha, which i think is the biggest furn. store in the U.S.

TierOne Bank has the best service of a bank that i've found around here, and I've been to all of them pretty much.

Anyway, hope I've helped a little, i was just kinda randomly spouting things off their, sorry its not that organized.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 PM

TheMac, thanks for all good advice. Yeah, the pizza one is going to be tough and you're not the only one who doesn't know NY pizza. I've had to explain NY pizza to my new coworkers too. It's a thin crust, but not like a cracker-y crust and the slices are huge. I may just have to perfect my pizza making skills at home.

I'm surprised I haven't gotten more reponses. Maybe the long list is too daunting?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,631,823 times
Your list isn't too daunting, guessing Lincoln just isn't as represented on this board as say Omaha. I don't live there either, but I would suggest going to Lazlo's for burgers, HyVee for groceries and I would also suggest Tier One Bank.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
LNK

1 posts, read 3,482 times
I'll give it a stab!

Restaurants / Take Out / Food (specifically but not limited to)
Pizza (NY style) - Sorry kid, you're out of luck on that one. I'm from the east coast, too, so I know exactly what it is. Try Lazari's on O St. (btw. 14th & Cent. Mall) - or learn to love Yia Yia's across the street (nothing like NYC but has its own yummy style).

Tex Mex - La Paz on N. Cotner (a block or so off O).

Chinese - I haven't found good chinese food here. I haven't tried Windchimes but I've heard its nice. Instead, I can recommend excellent Vietnamese at Vung Tau (27th & y).

Thai - Thai House on N. 27th is tasty but a little heavy. Blue Orchid in the old Fed. bldg downtown (10th & P) is more upscale - beautiful atmosphere, fresh food.

Subs/Deli - Not much beyond the chains. But this is a good place to mention Maggi's vegetarian wraps in the Haymarket - sooo good, fresh, local.

Breakfast - Howard's Pantry on S. 48th (in Van Dorn Plaza). It looks like it hasn't changed in 30 years, and they make their own sausage.

Diner - Does Village Inn count?

Burgers - Not Culver's. Bleh.

Steak - The Steak House at 33rd & Cornhusker has a classic steakhouse atmosphere. For a fun road trip head out West O to Merle's in Emerald - I don't know the address but you don't have to make any turns so just keep driving until you see it. It looks like a dive bar from the outside (and a little bit on the inside, too) but they have friendly waitresses and good steak.

Ice Cream - Ivanna Cone in Haymarket if you like super premium. For a lighter ice cream and traditional Lincoln ritual visit UNL's Dairy Store on east campus (Holdredge & 37th). And the Shadowbrook Salad Company also has an ice cream/gelato counter that has some pretty delicious stuff in there.

Doughnuts - I have no idea.

Regional Food / Snack - A true local will tell you Val's pizza, Runza's, etc. I don't have an opinion on those. I can't figure out why native Nebraskans always serve cinnamon rolls with chili, but that is also popular. *shrug*

Gourmet Food Store - Ideal on S. 27th (about E) is the best. You can also get organic/specialty items at Open Harvest (16th & South).

Grocery Store - Super Saver is the cheapest and usually has the best variety of produce. Hy-Vee has the nicest stores, nicest employees and the best supermarket cakes. I think most Russ's suck. Which is weird, because they are owned by the Super Saver people.

Food Co-op - There's only one - Open Harvest - and it's good. Try one of the many Asian markets for great prices on stuff like basmati and jasmine rice, tofu, and coconut milk, wacky snacks and interesting produce - there are a lot of them along N. 27th St. and the area.

Produce - Farmer's markets in season. Otherwise, see above.

Bakery - For incredible, crusty fresh breads and luscious pastries there is no better than Le Quartier at 70th & O (Meridian Park). They have sandwiches and coffee, too.

Butcher / Meat - Hy-Vee's meat case looks the best, but I usually go for the cheaper Super Saver. They have real butchers, so you can ask for special orders, etc.

Entertainment
Art Museum / Gallery - Sheldon is truly world class and should be a regular stop. Do the downtown art crawl on the first friday of each month - the galleries are open from 5 - 8ish. In the Haymarket visit Modern Arts Midwest (above the Mill), Haydon Art Center (7th St), & Mission Arts (9th & O). The most dynamic local gallery is Tugboat, which will soon reopen above Duffy's at 14th & O.

Movie Theatre - The Ross shows indie movies we wouldn't otherwise see, and they also have free screenings during the week (for UNL film classes but they're open to the public - they have flyers there that list the movies). All the Douglas Theatres are pretty much the same as each other, and they're all pretty good.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 PM

LNK, you are a dream! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I'm so excited to check these places out. Let me know if you have any others. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:54 PM

98 posts, read 362,920 times
I can't figure out why native Nebraskans always serve cinnamon rolls with chili, but that is also popular. *shrug*

LMAOROF I don't have any Lincoln information as I live in Omaha, but couldn't resist commenting on the chili and cinnamon rolls comment....I have lived in NE my whole life and can't imagine eating chili w/o a cin roll. I think the reason we had them at home when I was growing up is that the sweet cin roll balanced out the spicy chili that my dad makes. Even our school lunch served cin rolls w/the chili. Have you tried it yet?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Ha ha! So, chili and cinnamon rolls isn't a normal combination?? Can any out-of-state chile aficionado verify this? This reminds me of the time when I was about 8 years old when I realized I couldn't order Dorothy Lynch salad dressing in California...oh the humanity!!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:21 AM

300 posts, read 1,053,143 times
Allergist - I was a patient of Dr. Semm. He was awesome and funny. He's at ENT in Bryan East.

Tex Mex - My favorite place is Mazatlins (sp? I know thats not right) just north of 70th and O. De Leon's is also AMAZING if you want faster food. They're open 24/7 (well except the location on Pine Lake) There's one on West O and one on North 27th. Mmm.. just thinking about it now makes me hungry for it!

Chinese - The best I have eaten in Lincoln and the best bang for your buck is The Great Wall. It's on 70th and Vine in that shopping center. It's awesome!! A good buffet is Jade Rivers near 40th and Old Cheney.

Subs/Deli - I love two places. M&N Sandwich shop on 27th and Randolph and Joni's out in Waverly. Joni's makes an awesome cheese steak hoagie!

Doughnuts - Lamar’s downtown. I'm not sure exactly where it's located, but it's north of O.

Ice Cream - LNK took my suggestions! Those places are both pretty good.

Steak - I really like Lone Star. It's a national chain, but it's pretty good.

Alternative rock stations - there's 104.1 the blaze and there are a few Omaha stations. Basically just scan the channels!! Haha!
Modern/Pop station - 106.3 is a good pop/r&b station as is 94.1 in Omaha.

Favorite place - Downtown (or in any bar and grill) on game day.

Least favorite place - Lincoln in the winter! Haha! jk

Cheapest gas - I normally find that gas on the north end of town in cheaper. Kwik Shop around 27th and Cornhusker is pretty good. You can get a discount card there (no charge) that will give you between .02 and .04 off a gallon.

HTH!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 AM

You guys are great. Thank you so much for the suggestions. Hopefully more Lincolners will see this and add their 2 cents.

And thanks for the heads up on the cinnamon rolls and chili. Never heard of it and never want to try it. But at least I won't make fun of the natives and their cinnamon rolls.

Also, I've been to the Great Wall on 70th and Vine and totally agree. They actually have halfway decent dumplings. Can't wait to try all the other recommendations. thanks again!

P.S. What does HTH mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska