U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 PM

211 posts, read 907,814 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this may sound *crazy,* but my spouse and I want to move out of Ohio. Can't stand it. (by the way . . . I'm sorry if I inconvenienced anyone . . . I accidentally posted this to a previous thread - - oops).

Our first choice has always been to move *South,* but I've read some nice things about Nebraska. Can any lifer's give me some insight on some things such as:

1.) Lincoln or Omaha?
2.) Cost of Housing?
3.) Taxes
4.) School System
5.) Medical Care Facilities (how advanced); state-of-the art? . . . I'm not insinuating that they aren't up-to-date, but when you move from an area with the Cleveland Clinic, other systems look shy. I have a daughter that has a medical condition.
6.) Job Market (in general)

Weather is about the only thing that has deterred me. I have cold / snow now . . . that was the only reason to move south.

I've been on the government's site . . no offense . . . sometimes it's better to hear from actual Nebraskan's than a gov. Website full of stats.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 04:47 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,653,733 times
To qualify my comments, I grew up in a small town in Nebraska, lived in Lincoln for about 10 years, and have been living in Omaha for the last 6 months.

1) Lincoln or Omaha. This is a tough one. I really like both cities. Ultimately, it kind of depends on your preference. Omaha has more of a metro feel to it and Lincoln has more of a small city feel to it. They are both up and coming and I wouldn't hesitate advising you to live in either one of them. Ultimately, it depends on your preference and the type of job(s) you're looking for.

2) Cost of Housing. I won't go into any detailed analysis, but housing is very cheap here, relative to the rest of the country...especially the south. Honestly, for what one would spend on an average house, in say Phoenix, one could practically live in mansion in Omaha or Lincoln.

3) Taxes. Taxes are a bit high in Nebraska. However, when you factor in the lower housing prices you end up paying much less to live in Nebraska than you would in most places in the U.S. I don't recall the article link, but Omaha ranked #1 in disposable income in the U.S. Meaning at the end of the month, after everything is paid, you simply have more money left over living in Omaha.

4) Schooling. Schools are excellent in Omaha and Lincoln and the rest of the state for that matter. That is part of the reason are taxes are a bit higher...we spend quite a bit on education.

5) Medical Facilities. Actually, Omaha and Lincoln have remarkably good medical facilities and I'm talking on an international scale. Omaha, in particular, is excellent. UNMC (University of Nebraska Medical Center) is one of the top research hospitals in the U.S. and has quite a reputation. People from all around the world and U.S. come to UNMC for treatment. Definitely top notch.

6) Job Market. Generally, I think its pretty good. I would almost describe Omaha as "booming." Its really an up and coming city which seems to be doing a good job of focusing its future on the "new economy." Lincoln is good too, but with Omaha having about 3 times the population its no surprise that Omaha's job market is more robust. I don't remember the actual stats, but Omaha is home to a number of fortune 500 and fortune 100 companies. In fact, and take this stat with a grain of salt, but Omaha (reportedly) has the largest number of fortune 500 companies per capita.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 01-31-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM

189 posts, read 159,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonempty View Post
Ok, I know this may sound *crazy,* but my spouse and I want to move out of Ohio. Can't stand it. (by the way . . . I'm sorry if I inconvenienced anyone . . . I accidentally posted this to a previous thread - - oops).

Our first choice has always been to move *South,* but I've read some nice things about Nebraska. Can any lifer's give me some insight on some things such as:

1.) Lincoln or Omaha?
2.) Cost of Housing?
3.) Taxes
4.) School System
5.) Medical Care Facilities (how advanced); state-of-the art? . . . I'm not insinuating that they aren't up-to-date, but when you move from an area with the Cleveland Clinic, other systems look shy. I have a daughter that has a medical condition.
6.) Job Market (in general)

Weather is about the only thing that has deterred me. I have cold / snow now . . . that was the only reason to move south.

I've been on the government's site . . no offense . . . sometimes it's better to hear from actual Nebraskan's than a gov. Website full of stats.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!!
You live in Ohio?
Run far. Run Fast. Run faster. Run Farther.
(I'd be slammed if that was posted in an Ohio thread.)
BTDT, after a rough winter here in 78, family was leaving with or without me. Just my luck wife was from Dayton. We were there 2 years, ugh. Appealed to me as much as Jersey. So many people I knew from Ohio left! All 7 of my wife's sibs, many friends, etc. Seems only Cinci or Cleveland folks are 'loyal'
There but for the grace of God.... Nah, my kids did not like it there either.
...Climate- Well, Omaha is still in the midwest. If you moved South, you might actually miss cooler weather. And ha we ended up in -20 weather in Ohio that year, with a couple big blizzards. Don't happen all the time. Nebraska has had some dry winters and almost no snow also.
...Job prospects- good, from what I see. Several pages of help wanted in either Lincoln or Omaha.
...School systems- very good, discussed in recent topics
...Medical Care- I am no expert, have been in Omaha less than a year. But the hospital systems are huge in Omaha and there are TWO quality med schools/ affiliated with hospitals.
...Taxes- um I have a different opinion than others., I just have to pay the taxes and shut up. Seiously, the Income Tax is less here, Sales Tax is about the same as Ohio. Except restaurant meals are taxed here. 7.5% currently
...Housing- very reasonable. The property tax millage rate may be higher than your area.
....Read as much as you can on all the threads, balance it all out to see if it works for you!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,642,380 times
Not much to add, except that we probably get less snow, if you live near Cleveland. You can check out the Omaha World Herald or Lincoln Journal Star to see what is going on. Also alot of people do commute between the cities, if you wanted to live in one and work in the other.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 PM

211 posts, read 907,814 times
Thanks to the above that replied! That was quick!

I'm in a burb of Cleveland. Grew up here; moved away for four years to Indy; back again. Needless to say, it has been less than desireable.

Our tax rate is 7.5% as well. However, I own my own business and I am getting killed in taxes. The City of Cleveland has become a major joke. The politicians and the ghettos have run it to the ground. Schools are awful (which is why everyone moves to the suburbs). Most of our friends have moved to NC. Besides my family, we have no reason to stay here (parent's are aging which is a care concern though).

Statewise . . . taxing "Taft" killed our State. Everything on a State and local level is becoming too PC. We are done. Cleveland in particular is NOT what it used to be. It is literally dying (I'm so sad to say).

We love the four seasons, but prefer a milder winter. Frankly, I'm tired of being depressed from Dec. through March.

I've heard good things about NE.

Thank you everyone!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 PM

116 posts, read 306,907 times
I hate to say this, but you're not really going to find a milder winter in Nebraska, unless you want a dryer one. There's less snow but the cold can be bitter.

I'd seriously check out Oklahoma! Do ALL the "O" states. lol

Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
I hate to say this, but you're not really going to find a milder winter in Nebraska, unless you want a dryer one. There's less snow but the cold can be bitter.

I'd seriously check out Oklahoma! Do ALL the "O" states. lol
How dare you mention Oklahoma on this board No one wants to live in the SOONER state

If you liked Oklahoma idea, also look into Southwest Missouri (Missouri is somewhat tax friendly, at least compared to Nebraska).

But deep down we know you want to live in Nebraska over those states

Old 02-03-2008, 05:38 PM

116 posts, read 306,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
How dare you mention Oklahoma on this board No one wants to live in the SOONER state

If you liked Oklahoma idea, also look into Southwest Missouri (Missouri is somewhat tax friendly, at least compared to Nebraska).

But deep down we know you want to live in Nebraska over those states
Uh, that would be a big NO for about 10 reasons, but thanks for the offer. lol

If I ever did live in Nebraska again I wouldn't live anywhere but Omaha. And even then you'd have to force me.

and OMAHA brings us back to the whole O theme! "OH" my gOd!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
Uh, that would be a big NO for about 10 reasons, but thanks for the offer. lol

If I ever did live in Nebraska again I wouldn't live anywhere but Omaha. And even then you'd have to force me.

and OMAHA brings us back to the whole O theme! "OH" my gOd!
I was refering to the OP wants to live in Nebraska over those other states, should have wrote clearer. Just wanted to give you some guff for mentioning a state with a rival football team. I totally undertand why you don't want to be here with your experience. No biggie

Last edited by tpabes; 02-03-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,180,707 times
Omaha is a nice city and is easy to get around, relative to other cities in my opinions. Most of Omaha is safe and most of it is clean and well-planned. I have been down there on a number of occasions. If I moved outside of South Dakota, I would consider Omaha. Lincoln is one of the few larger Nebraska cities I have not been to. I would like to visit Lincoln in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska