Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,129 times

Advertisements

There is a movement out right now called "Stamp Out PTSD" which is a petition to create a new postage stamp that raises funds to help Veterans living with Post Traumatic Stress.

For Example, The Breast Cancer Awareness Stamp raised over $90 million dolllars since it was created, just think about how that money could help our Veterans!

Contact your friends and ask them sign it too! This is a great way America can show our Veterans that we care! Hurry, the petition closes November 27,2015.

Add your name today at: www.StampOutPtsd.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 12:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,045,208 times
I'm a vet and I haven't gotten a penny from either the government or from charities aside from the GI bill which I was owed after exiting service. I'm not sure I would want any. Vets are just like anyone else when they leave service: you go to work and you try to raise your family the best you can.

I'm also aware that MANY charities which claim to support veterans are huge scams (Wounded Warrior Project for example) which squander the vast majority of donations and while they bill themselves as "non"-profit....they are quite profitable for the operators and managers.

So just be careful where you put your money folks. Make sure to do your research on ANY organization which you may come across (including this one).

Old 11-21-2015, 02:01 PM

4,850 posts, read 6,875,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I'm a vet and I haven't gotten a penny from either the government or from charities aside from the GI bill which I was owed after exiting service. I'm not sure I would want any. Vets are just like anyone else when they leave service: you go to work and you try to raise your family the best you can.

I'm also aware that MANY charities which claim to support veterans are huge scams (Wounded Warrior Project for example) which squander the vast majority of donations and while they bill themselves as "non"-profit....they are quite profitable for the operators and managers.

So just be careful where you put your money folks. Make sure to do your research on ANY organization which you may come across (including this one).

I agree with your post. I hate myself for having become as cynical as I have over the years. The number of "charities" that have materialized over the last 10 years that are all too often scams sickens me. All too many of these charities where hardly any of the money goes where it's supposed to are aimed at our veterans.

My mother died a year ago. She was in her 90's. During the last 5-10 years of her life her life was made miserable by the volumes of mail and the constant phone calls by all these organizations. She made the mistake of giving $ 5 here and $ 10 there during this time thinking the money was going to help worthy causes, thus she hit every mailing list and phone re-dialing boiler room operation in the country. So many of these organizations are obviously corrupt to most of us, but they know how to target a sucker.

Two watchdog sites that do help in determining if there is any legitimacy are www.charitynavigator.org and http://give.org/charity-reviews/national/

Neither site is perfect, but they are guidelines.

If a charity isn't listed, you can request the sites to begin a review.

This "Stamp Out PTSD" group I hope is legit. SOME money I'm sure gets through to the people it's supposed to help, but what %?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,045,208 times
Here's the kicker jmgg,

Lets say a guy is wounded while in service. You get treated. Any complications from those wounds are covered....for the rest of your life. Any country owes that to it's service members, current and former.

If a guy loses an arm or a leg (or two or three or four), or a kidney, or anything....I totally support paying that guy money for the rest of his life. He should not only be comfortable, but well taken care of.

Those who have PTSD? OK. Where's my check? If you're a charity....how about throwing me a bone? Otherwise I already have 100% FREE counseling as an option for the rest of my life. It's already a no-questions-asked deal.

So who are these organizations helping? No one. The government already takes care of what people are legitimately owed. If anything we already have too many scum suckers clogging up the "disability" rolls when they have no legitimate claim to it and which any insurance organization in the private sector would fully investigate. But our government does not investigate, and rarely ever rescinds.

This is why we have so many "oh my back hurts" guys walking (and running) around on the taxpayer dime living it up. A former manager of mine clearly making a 6 figure salary was faking disability. He had absolutely zero health issues, but it's EASY to do. All he did was say that his knees hurt. And a former colleague in a company similar to my current one, but who I worked along side of, went on the disability dole soon after being fired (poor performance) and now claims he cannot work. This guy is 24 or 25. Then he bought a truck, and with the months worth of back pay splurged on an ATV. Please tell me why a supposedly "disabled" guy is allowed to buy an ATV with taxpayer money!

But the charities are the worst. Let me know when they start building houses and backing up loans for those of us willing to work for it. They should put their money where there pamphlets and their "about us" section are. A lot of us who've returned from IQ/AFG came home to the worst economy in generations and to a housing environment with soaring rents and where the banks were allowed to hold foreclosures off the market, thus increasing prices or at least not allowing them to drop to affordable levels.

I can deal with the war trauma. It's knowing that my economic opportunities going forward will be only half that of my parent's generation is what's really going to hurt. Where's my welfare? Oh, I guess I'm not broke enough, drugged up enough, tatted up enough, or poppin' out kids enough. Where's my charity? Oh yeah....it's in the pockets of the people who own those charities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska