U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 PM

98 posts, read 362,982 times

Advertisements

My husband is from Minden. and yes tpabes, Kearney is only about 20-30 minutes away. Grand Island is about 45 minutes from Minden and North Platte is a little over 100 miles west of Minden. Minden itself has good schools, library, pool (very small), and several churches to choose, 4H, and other activites for children to get involved with. The overall health care, probably not so good, but as many others have mentioned, close enough to Kearney, GI, etc for good health care.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Nebraska!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM

15 posts, read 32,590 times
Default OH NO!! Change location.....

My hubby just found Ogallala and Big Mac lake!!! You guys have been so helpful, I have to ask you what you know about that area? North Platte included. Small towns like the others we discussed too. Thanks everyone and sorry.

Last edited by yankeegirlforever; 02-22-2008 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM

15 posts, read 32,590 times
Default Weather?

From what I've found that area looks to be pretty dry and windy. We are SICK of brown grass and trees!!! That is all we see here in TX from July-March or April. We are DESPERATE to see the pretty GREEN we all remember so fondly!! Also, is there still a Walmart warehouse in N. Platte?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,632,671 times
Yes there is a Walmart warehouse in North Platte, right off the interstate on the east edge of town. It can be very brown, obvisouly, during winter (although this one has been more white) but spring will be wet and green, parts of summer can dry (hopefully not drought) but a timely thunderstorm will green things up. In town, even when it is dry, it will be pretty green with lawns, plants, full trees etc.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:26 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,346,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirlforever View Post
From what I've found that area looks to be pretty dry and windy. We are SICK of brown grass and trees!!! That is all we see here in TX from July-March or April. We are DESPERATE to see the pretty GREEN we all remember so fondly!! Also, is there still a Walmart warehouse in N. Platte?
Look at a map of NE. Draw a line from Hastings up to O'Neill. Anywhere west of that line is going to get less rain than the eastern 1/3 of Nebraska. Ie, anything west of that line is mostly likely going to be relatively dry (ie, "semi-arid") and rather windy, especially from early summer to late winter.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 12,572 times
Smile Two resources

For any type of climate events look up the city on: city-data.com

For an aerial look at the cities, get: google earth , it's free and the easiest way to get is serch for :google earth or Google Earth

Have Fun!!

Remember if you are close to the interstate, you can get to almost anywhere you need to go in Nebraska quickly. Most major hospitals are on the I-80 route.

Periodicals to explore: Nebraskalife magazine or Nebraskaland

Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM

370 posts, read 1,160,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirlforever View Post
My hubby just found Ogallala and Big Mac lake!!! You guys have been so helpful, I have to ask you what you know about that area? North Platte included. Small towns like the others we discussed too. Thanks everyone and sorry.
Ogallala is a great town and Lake McConaughy is awesome. Even though it is less than half-full due to years of extended drought on western Ne and eastern WY, it is still NE's largest lake. Great multi-species fishing.

You would have to travel 50 miles east to NP to obtain your psych services, or 150 miles to Kearney or 125 west to Scottsbluff.

Housing in Ogallala is dirt cheap. Housing in North Platte is ridiculously overpriced. UPRR demand keeps prices high there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska