Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM

212 posts, read 901,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraksa View Post
I have to agree with some individuals on this. We moved to Nebraska in March for my husbands job, to say the least it was not a good decision for our family. I believe if your not use to the mid west kind of weather and so fourth you really need to do some serious research before you move. I was in total shock on how much tags are for license plates and how high property taxes are for houses that are around $100,000. Everyone says the houses are so cheap but then the hit you with the property taxes. We are originally from Colorado where the houses may be alittle more but you can get more house for your money because the property taxes are so low. I have to admit our experience here will last a lifetime but the cost of taxes and the extremely high humidity isn't for us. I can say tho the people have been very friendly for the most part. I haven't really run into to many who have been rude. Good luck to you for moving here. I don't know where you are originally from but it was such a culture shock to us. We are getting out and I'm sure everyone is saying good riddance.
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in Nebraska. I live in Nebraska, and I have to say it is probably my least favorite of the states in the U.S.
I have been to Colorado many times on vacation, and really liked it. You are right about the weather. Even after living here for awhile, I dread winter. The rest of the year isn't bad as far as the weather goes. Summer can be miserable. Last week we had temperatures over 100 degrees with more than 70% humidity.

Last edited by alligatorboy; 08-05-2008 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 PM

300 posts, read 1,178,951 times
Yet today here in Lincoln it only reached into the very low 80's. I love how the weather changes here. It's a nice break from the summer heat to have a whole week of 80's. It happens in winter too. You'll get the miserable 0's and then for a week, you'll get a break and it will be 30 and sunny out. It's nice!

Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,344 times
I have lived in Lincoln sense January of 2015. The town is beautiful and artsy in places. College students give it a bit of flare. Bars and churchs are about even here few clubs, old man pubs. Fair to good library. I stay in 68510 area. I'll be honest I was surprised at the high amount of homeless people, beggars and drug addicts. I feel safe but then again I did just move from the Chicago area working taxi 6pm to 6am. A female friend of mine was followed by a homeless man when she decided to walk over to my house. Its was only four blocks she was walking. People have not been nice. I'm a social person Im reasonably well kept Im 24 and I go to college for cosmetology\barbering. I've had over 300 happy clients so I know its not me. The town is just not super friendly. Over all I give the town a c+. If your highly skilled or know the right people you can get a job. Its has the small town vibe about it as in its not what you know its who you know and how deep your pockets are sadly. I hope in time I can change this review to say my experience has changed. But its now may '15 and I haven't seen much that makes me things any better of the town.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 5,344 times
Saw someone commented about the humidity in wish there was more humidity this place is to dry its painful. And ya taxes are a bit more than I was expecting also didn't think about mentioning.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatamidoinghere View Post
I have lived in Lincoln for eight years now, and I hate it. The people are NOT friendly, so be prepared. And the weather is the worst I've ever seen.
What do you mean the people are not friendly? Do you mean they are not chatty with strangers in a grocery store line? Or do you mean most people are rude and unkind? How about co-workers? Are they unfriendly and generally unpleasant people to be around? Your statement came thru with lots of passion. I'd be interested in hearing about your people experience in Lincoln.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 PM

217 posts, read 208,274 times
The problem with Lincoln is that the majority of the population is obsessed with Cornhusker football. Even if you are apathetic towards college football your apathy will turn to resentment because that's all people talk about.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:00 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,925,015 times
Phat Jack's BBQ for the win !!

Phat Jack's BBQ | Serving award winning Kansas City Style Competitive BBQ in Lincoln, Nebraska

Old 05-16-2015, 06:42 PM

84 posts, read 138,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
The problem with Lincoln is that the majority of the population is obsessed with Cornhusker football. Even if you are apathetic towards college football your apathy will turn to resentment because that's all people talk about.
Lincoln will always be a huge college football town, because of the five national championships. However, I have conversations with other Lincolnites about a wide variety of topics, not just football. We talk about everything from astronomy to computer programming. Lincoln is a college town, after all. You just have to meet the right people.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Very strange post

Old 05-20-2015, 08:33 AM

72 posts, read 106,927 times
I have lived in Lincoln before for over a year but I've also spent a considerable amount of time there when I didn't live there. Not a big fan of Lincoln, although it's gotten better in recent years with the Haymarket area. People are correct by saying it's not a friendly city. But it's not that bad either. Being from Nebraska, people overall are more quiet and reserved. I don't like the layout of the city because all the nice shopping options are on the far south and southeast side, far from downtown and even further from the north side. No matter where you live in Lincoln, you'll always be far from something you want to go to.

I like that Lincoln is quiet and relaxing and lacks a lot of ghetto problems bigger cities have. But Lincoln is kinda dull and there's hardly any late night dining options! Everything closed at 10. When I lived there in 2008 the only places I could think of that were open overnight was IHOP and the Highway 2 Diner.

Lincoln is a good place to go to college. There's things I miss about it but I doubt I will ever move back to Lincoln or Nebraska in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska