U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 18,870 times

Advertisements

I've been researching for jobs and browsing forums to see how the job prospects are after graduation and it looked pretty grim. Most students who did not place in the top 25% or so seem to have difficultly finding a job, even after passing the bar. Most of the data was from people in LA, NY, and Chicago. Hopefully this does not apply to IP positions. Luckily for you, a majority of the graduates that had a Ph.D. upon graduation seemed to get jobs that pay over 100k very easily. As for me, I will just have to be positive, work hard and try to get on the same boat as you!

As for the school environment, it seems to me that there are many student activities and events. Have you attended any of the events? I also heard about how they connect 1L students with 2L or 3L to help them throughout the first year. Is it really helpful for someone like myself coming from a different state? Are there any clubs/groups that you would recommend I join to help with my future career?

Regarding Callahan, my roommate was an Oakland Raiders fan and I was exposed to his not so great approach to coaching. I actually remember cringing a little when I found out that Nebraska had hired him as the head coach! But I am excited to finally have a team to support. I guess I know what I'll be doing every Sat starting this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,647,077 times
The top 25% cutoff is usually what is quoted for large "traditional law firms." It doesn't mean that you can't get a job...it just means it may not be at an elite firm. For example, the job placement for graduates from UNL is something like 98%, with the top 25% going to "big firms." Furthermore, those numbers do not apply to people in IP. Again, this is why I say its "good to be different." With an undegrad in a biotech field you'll have many more opportunities than your classmates with business administration or political science backgrounds. I'm not saying you should ignore your grades...its always a good idea to do your best, but your background will help to alleviate some of the grade pressure.

If I were you I would investigate IP positions and what is required to take the patent bar. In order to take the patent bar you have to have a science or engineering degree in a specified field. Its actually very cut and dry and he USPTO basically has a list of degrees and institutions that allow the coursework to qualify for the patent bar. If your degree qualifies for the patent bar then you're going to be in a different category than all of your classmates, provided you want to take the patent bar and use it professionally. There are times when Ph.D.'s are specifically sought, but I've seen many many positions for people with only undergrad science backgrounds. Typically, coming out of law school, IP and patent attorneys are better paid and in much higher demand than freshly minted "run-of-the-mill" attorneys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska