Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,773 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving out of State to get away from California. I'm 22 and so far I make 40k as a mortgage processor and am thinking of downsizing and going somewhere more conservative. I'm trying to go somewhere where making 3 or 4k a month can get you by and California has just gotten too expensive. I've looked at Nebraska/Dakotas,Arizona,Colorado and Minnesota.

I was wondering from which one is the best to pick to least expensive/weather/
So far I came up with either Nebraska or the Dakotas. Could you guys give me some insight to the culture and lifestyle there, do they like outsiders, any different law and your own personal view are appreciated. I'm not gonna mention my lifestyle because I don't want to tamper any suggestions. Thank you.

Sources Below:
Where Are The Best And Worst States To Retire? | Bankrate.com
https://www.homesnacks.net/these-are...merica-123067/
https://weather.com/maps/ustemperaturemap
https://www.google.com/search?source...2415j0j7&rct=j
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...mperatures.php
https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hbYXhsirJxM%3A
Here Is The Income Level At Which Money Won't Make You Any Happier In Each State | The Huffington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff101 View Post
I make 40k as a mortgage processor
Consider putting Des Moines on your list. This is a FIRE area (Finance, Insurance, Real Estate). The COL is reasonable, and you're within several hours of Twin Cities and Chicago.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:44 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Have you been to any of these states?

I'd stay in your neighborhood like NV or AZ. NE, Dakotas or MN weather will killl you coming from CA.

Is your desire to become a mortgage loan officer? Go to where the population is moving, CO, AZ, or NV. It'll keep you busy. And newcomers are needed.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:26 AM

149 posts, read 226,535 times
I have taken a long road from Northern CA to my now (and hopefully final) residence in Omaha, NE. I went to school in Tucson, AZ, lived and worked in Salt Lake City, UT, back to CA, down to Midland, TX, and now in Omaha, NE. As long as you acknowledge and mentally prepare for the weather that comes along with the midwest it's really not a problem. Just get a nice coat and some gloves and learn to drive in ice and snow if you don't already know and you will be just fine. The weather can get extreme in both directions with temps as low as -10 and over 100 with high humidity which can be miserable. But generally speaking it stays pretty reasonable in both directions.

If you are looking for a small town feel you can find that in any of the destinations you are mentioning. ND and SD have a lot more 'small town' type places which can be nice for a lot of reasons but can also be a struggle for a young single person for a lot of reasons too. I agree with the poster above, you should probably put Des Moines, IA on your radar as well.

I will make a pitch for Omaha, NE. While this is on the larger side of cities out this way there are many benefits that come along with that. There is a robust job market here and you have the downtown part of the city if you want to feel as though you are somewhere bigger than you are. There are many suburb type areas where it feels much smaller but they still offer everything you need and most things you want. Then you do have some commutable distance small town type outlying areas where you can make your living in the thick of Omaha but retreat to some space and solitude if you want to. In all of the above areas cost of living is pretty reasonable, property taxes as a percentage are much higher than CA but housing prices are much lower. If you look at housing prices and unemployment rates etc. this area just did not feel the '08 recession as bad as most parts of the country, which was of comfort to me in moving here. There is an airport in Omaha with a lot of cheap flights.

If I were you I would fly into Omaha and rent a car and just spend a week or two out this way if at all possible and see the lay of the land. You could do it fairly cheap if that was your goal as well. If you have any more specific questions I would be happy to answer them.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:18 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
If I were you I would fly into Omaha and rent a car and just spend a week or two out this way if at all possible and see the lay of the land.
Yes, Des Moines is a little less than two hours away, but watch the weather if you come out here before April: it can be hard getting around.

There's a lot to be said for Omaha! I weighed in because Ankeny, IA (8 miles north of Des Moines) is the second fastest growing city in the US, according to (Forbes? I'll have to look, but it was one of the business surveys). In any case, it's not hard for experienced employees to get work in banking/lending.

However, there's also a lot of growth in Omaha, and that's certainly true about being about to live near work but not feel like you're right in the middle of downtown. I have friends there, and I enjoy visiting them. There are lots of good restaurants.

In any case, do try to get out here for a visit while it is still winter. We've had an easy one, but you should know what you're in for. I grew up in Michigan, so I was ready for the ice and snow. However, if you dress properly and have a good attitude, you can learn to deal with it.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 PM

149 posts, read 226,535 times
I think if the OP just flew into Omaha it would be a great opportunity to see Omaha, DM, maybe even Cedar Rapids, head up to Minneapolis, west to Watertown or so, south to Sioux Falls or Sioux City and then cap it off in Omaha again. It would be a good tour of the 'Midwest area' and you'd see a lot of the bigger cities west of Chicago and a lot of the more rural areas between them as well. Wouldn't be any days with an insane amount of travel in that loop so you could spend some time and see the sights as you went along.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:58 AM

18 posts, read 28,133 times
I've lived in Nebraska most of my life and the weather isn't that bad unless you are outside working 12 hour shifts. I used to hate living in Nebraska because of the extreme winters then I started working indoors. Seriously the only time most people are outside is when they are walking from a heated building to their heated car.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,444 times
Lincoln could be a great choice for you. Being a college town, there are a lot of people living here from other states and even countries. Cost of living is very low and there are tons of job opportunities. If you'd like to see what kind of properties you could afford here, let me know and I can help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: