U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM

29 posts, read 66,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
do you think this only happens with Mexicans? You think this is unreasonable. Well it happens more than you know and it is not unreasonable. My boss (one of them) was here for many years on an entrepreneur visa. He had to show a good income and prove he was supporting himself to get pemanent residency. but first he had to return to his country (I won't mention the country but it is an ally of ours) He returned to his country, started the proceedure and is still waiting to return to America. That was 3 years ago. In the meanwhile he and his partner get to see each other a few times a year. We have no idea how long before he will be able to return to our country. By the way, if he was married he could live her legally, so I am wondering what part of your story isn't matching up..????

Obviously I disagree with you about hiding and being here illegally, no the system isn't perfect but breaking the law isn't the answer. You say your son in law and daughter gave up good paying jobs to return to Mexico. To each of us, good paying jobs can mean something different. Obviously he was living here illegally before he met her and working for a company that hired illegals. I have my doubt about how great a job this was. You also mentioned she spent 4 hours in a car as she wasn't allowed inside, is that the fault on America or Mexico?

Sorry I am not showing a lot of sympathy and yes, it is sad, but this does not make breaking the law correct.

Nita
First, I don't lie. Let's get that straight at the get go. She didn't wait in a car, she waited on a hot bench across the street with other families. Some passers by threw ice at them. Whether it was to be kind is another story. It may be the US embassy, but it's in Mexico. As for my story matching up, my daughter married her husband legally. She has his legal name. She was legally working and he wasn't but they reported this on the Visa form which may be why he has to wait the ten years.

Second, I feel as sorry for those who come from other countries as I do those right next door. Something needs to change to allow those who've been productive, law abiding immigrants the chance to stay here. I do understand there are too many crossing the border so I see both sides. I can't help my son in law, but those who are already here who've held down a job, gave to their communities and tried to learn English should be allowed the chance for amnesty and yes, they should pay a fine for crossing illegally along with paying all back taxes due.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM

29 posts, read 66,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Building a fence will not work. Deporting 12 million illegals will not work. I think that more time needs to be spent helping the impoverished in Mexico. Help the Mexican government make their country a better place for their people. If you are a teacher and have a student that is falling behind, you don't build a wall around him or make him leave, you help that student deal with the issues that are making him a poor student.
Thank you. I totally agree.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM

47,374 posts, read 37,409,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuge51 View Post
First, I don't lie. Let's get that straight at the get go. She didn't wait in a car, she waited on a hot bench across the street with other families. Some passers by threw ice at them. Whether it was to be kind is another story. It may be the US embassy, but it's in Mexico. As for my story matching up, my daughter married her husband legally. She has his legal name. She was legally working and he wasn't but they reported this on the Visa form which may be why he has to wait the ten years.

Second, I feel as sorry for those who come from other countries as I do those right next door. Something needs to change to allow those who've been productive, law abiding immigrants the chance to stay here. I do understand there are too many crossing the border so I see both sides. I can't help my son in law, but those who are already here who've held down a job, gave to their communities and tried to learn English should be allowed the chance for amnesty and yes, they should pay a fine for crossing illegally along with paying all back taxes due.
I certainly never meant to indicate she married him illegally, but he was her illegally prior to their marriage, that was my point. If you have read what I posted before I answered your response, I said those who are here should be given a chance to stay if they meet certain requirements. You mention he was not legally working, I do feel sorry for your daughter and her husband, but he was her illegally and not working legally. This has to be stopped.

Nita

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 PM

79 posts, read 124,904 times
Quote:
Thank you. I totally agree.
Agree with what? Stupidity? First, you better understand that Mexico has absolutely no desire to help their own people at all. The people who run Mexico are corrupt and it runs all the way down to the peons of the nation. The elite in Mexico pay NO TAXES at all. The reasoning behind this is, they create jobs so they should not have to pay taxes. The world's wealthiest man is a Mexican, yes it's true. He is a telecomunications mogul and has worldwide companies but resides in Mexico because he can live there tax free. Instead of taking care of and improving their nation, the prefer to dump their poor and illiterate upon The United States of America. I give to the poor and contribute time and labor to many organizations personally. I also contribute to organizations that are trying to stop the ILLEGAL ENTRY of mexicans into our nation. When it's not a crime, I'll look the other way. Until then ILLEGAL ENTRY is a CRIME against every person in the USA. They take jobs, spread diseases and raise the crime level in ABSOLUTELY EVERY community they move into. The statistics prove every single issue I mention. TB was all but eradicated in the USA until illegals massively started ILLEGALLY ENTERING the USA. Now TB has become a serious health issue once again. Mexico does NOT enoculate their citizenry at all so disease and illnesses run rampant within their society.

Please do some research before spouting out emotionally.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,180,837 times
Default Free Everything for Illegal Mexicans

Quote:
I believe those who are here and already working (haven't met a lazy Hispanic yet!) should be granted the right to citizenship. As for having lots of babies, many Hispanics are Catholic, not trying to milk any system. Also, Hispanics are very family oriented...we could learn from them!
When the meat packing plants were raided last year around Christmas, it was devastating. Those poor little kids went home to no parents, no Christmas, no home. Are you aware that when many Hispanics buy a home, they pay cash? Cash they earned here in the US? And when he is deported, what do you think happens to that home? That vehicle?
It's not the Hispanics who are milking anyone and it's not the Hispanics who took flight lessons and entered huge airplanes with the sole purpose of killing Americans. All they want to do is work. If you've ever been to Mexico, you'd know why.
Yes, but we have to give them free medical care and education for all those kids that they can't support. They are clogging our hospitals with outpatient care for problems a family doctor would be able to solve if they had one! They lack education (most only went to 2nd grade) and are barely able to read Spanish. How are they ever going to learn English? I've been to Mexico and see the shacks they live in, 10 people to a 6x6 foot room. Do we want to continue to import MORE poverty into this country?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM

2,716 posts, read 4,406,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do we want to continue to import MORE poverty into this country?
Nah, we have enough now I would say.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM

471 posts, read 719,356 times
Do you seriously think that building a wall for billions and billions of dollars and deporting people back to Mexico is going to stop illegal imagration. I have a feeling that it will just cost taxpayers even more money to a problem being adressed in the incorect fashion. Why don't we just spend all of those billions of dollars on building schools, hospitals, and police stations in Mexico? Use it to help get rid of the warlords and drug smugglers. Make it so the Mexican people don't need to cross the border illegaly. Is it just me that thinks that the best way to fix this is at the source?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM

2,716 posts, read 4,406,350 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think that building a wall for billions and billions of dollars and deporting people back to Mexico is going to stop illegal imagration. I have a feeling that it will just cost taxpayers even more money to a problem being adressed in the incorect fashion. Why don't we just spend all of those billions of dollars on building schools, hospitals, and police stations in Mexico? Use it to help get rid of the warlords and drug smugglers. Make it so the Mexican people don't need to cross the border illegaly. Is it just me that thinks that the best way to fix this is at the source?
I agree with some of that. What I don't get is why in the hell the US fed emerging markets so heavily such as China and India yet largely ignored our southern neighbors.

I just do not understand the mentality of the US gov't sometimes.

Investment into Mexico would have dramatically improved the quality of life on both sides of the border in regards to immigration, economics, the drug war, and would have made the region much more significant than it is today.

I think previous administrations (several of them) blew a huge opportunity to establish the North American and Latin regions as economic power houses via local trade.

The only thing America has done is make itself financially vulnerable to the LAST countries they needed to. An unrecoverable trade deficit/debt would not have happened had we been smart and work more closely with Mexico.

I could go on forever on why the state of Mexican affairs and economics is so closely linked to the US, but I would be going off topic, I suppose.

I have to add this also: Its not the Mexicans fault, it's completely our fault.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM

47,374 posts, read 37,409,759 times
Quote:
So you want us to open the borders to anyone and everyone that wants to come here, is that what you are saying? What about those from other countries than Mexico, those who have waited their turn, do you open the borders to them as well or give special treatment to Mexicans only? Sorry, some of what you say may be true, but no, we don't just open everything up...

I think the only answer and it isn't as simple as I am making it is: tho allow those who are here for a certain amount of time (10 years, 5, I don't know) who have been gainfully employed to stay if they apply for citizenship, learn English and have never committed any crime regardless of how minor it may have been. Everyone else goes back and starts a process just like those from other countries.

In the meanwhile a worker program is needed, most people agree with that. But to open the borders or to allow everyone that is here illegally to stay is crazy..Where do you draw the line? We have enough people here legally that don't or can't work or who are working poor that get government assistance..

I do agree we could invest more in Mexico and less in countries all over the world..
Nita

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM

471 posts, read 719,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So you want us to open the borders to anyone and everyone that wants to come here, is that what you are saying? What about those from other countries than Mexico, those who have waited their turn, do you open the borders to them as well or give special treatment to Mexicans only? Sorry, some of what you say may be true, but no, we don't just open everything up...

Nita
I did not say that we sould open the borders. I do think that we should have imagration restrictions. My point was that we should try to fix the problem, not slap a billion dollar band aid on it. If the Mexican peoples quality of life were improved then they would have no need to come here illegaly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska