Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:48 PM

79 posts, read 204,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'm astounded how elitist some people are. Apparently citizenship confers corruption, entitlement, and inefficiency. Do you remember that the free market--that some love so much--also applies to the job market. If the R's didn't need the immigrants to demagogue, they would bash these nativists with anti-business featherbedding and entitlement mentality.

It's un-American (and UNPATRIOTIC) that a vision of noble class called citizens is perpetuating in this egalitarian republic. The obsession with birthplaces belongs in monarchical Britain NOT in democratic America. In the America I remember there was no bureaucracy that regulated the pursuit of happiness. Now you can't get your foot in the door without going through the bureaucracy of the USCIS--that's not limited government, that's the antithesis of it! We have been surveilled on our telephones and gathered intelligence from expired passports. How much more surveillance do we need to be subjected to from our government?

Immigration wasn't an issue in '04 but in '06 when the R's knew the Democratic revolution started undoing their "Contract with America" and this year their party is in danger of collapsing. Gee I wonder why?
This is about as elitist as a post can get in my opinion. Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 01:53 PM

79 posts, read 204,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
I definitely agree with the last couple of posts. I live in Red Oak, Iowa. A town of about 6300 people. While the Hispanic population is rather small, most are employed here either at the plant that makes corn flour, or the local greenhouse. I used to work at the corn flour plant for a few months, and the Mexicans that work in there are mostly legals, and great people. Conversely, i have illegals living in the Apartments across the alley from my house. The one family is OK, although i tried to get their kids to stop throwing things at my dog when we had her tied outside. She is an Austrailian Shephard, and she loves kids. Although not THOSE kids (wonder why) anyway, we put up a fence in our backyard. Primarily so we could just let our dog out the back door, have food, water, and playtoys out there for her, and she's happy. Secondary we put it up so them kids wouldn'[t be able to taunt/ tease her. I definitely agree that employers are hiring illegals 1) to keep wages low, and 2) because Mexicans will work hard for little to no pay.

A great example i can think of from a news story i saw earlier in the year was some man that had been working in a restaraunt as a dishwasher for 11 years, and had saved nearly every penny, to the tune of $30,000 had plans to go back to Mexico, and buy siome land to tend with it. Unfortunately when he got to the airport, and customs searched his belongings, he was unaware he had to have special paperwork to have all of that money on him. He was suspected of being a drug runner, and customs took almost all of that money. Well, he went back where he was to start all over. A man like him i have no problem with, because he had a plan, it was just that it failed because he didn't have all the details in order. The ones i have a problem with are the ones who come here with their wives, and have children here in the US so they are allowed to stay here because their child is effectively an American citizen. Then they take the free benefits, and everything that was previously mentioned. If someone comes here the right way, legally, i am all for it.

Musicwriter, most of your observances are right on also. Except for the one where they are hard workers. In my experience, which includes where I am working at this moment. My only reason for having this job (I'm retired) is to make sure the people here will get a little work done. This has turned into a battle. I could take my camcorder and make a movie disproving that little statement about "hard working".

Last edited by keltec; 11-01-2008 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,594,977 times
Quote:
I'm astounded how elitist some people are. Apparently citizenship confers corruption, entitlement, and inefficiency. Do you remember that the free market--that some love so much--also applies to the job market. If the R's didn't need the immigrants to demagogue, they would bash these nativists with anti-business featherbedding and entitlement mentality.

It's un-American (and UNPATRIOTIC) that a vision of noble class called citizens is perpetuating in this egalitarian republic. The obsession with birthplaces belongs in monarchical Britain NOT in democratic America. In the America I remember there was no bureaucracy that regulated the pursuit of happiness. Now you can't get your foot in the door without going through the bureaucracy of the USCIS--that's not limited government, that's the antithesis of it! We have been surveilled on our telephones and gathered intelligence from expired passports. How much more surveillance do we need to be subjected to from our government?

Immigration wasn't an issue in '04 but in '06 when the R's knew the Democratic revolution started undoing their "Contract with America" and this year their party is in danger of collapsing. Gee I wonder why?
So, the united states had no border prior to 2004? The USA had no immigration laws prior to 2004? Good god, the utopia you imagine never existed -- not anywhere. Every nation on Earth has immigration laws, and they have immigration laws for a reason.
Let me ask you this ----- do you believe in living 'green'? If the environment is a concern to you, perhaps you can square the damage mass illegal immigration has done to the environment along the border. The trash left behind is an actual hazard for the wildlife. Also, one must take into account the limited financial as well as natural resources our country has. We can neither afford millions upon millions of uneducated and unskilled people nor can our infrastructure support them. I won't even go into the very real perils of overpopulation!
The US cannot 'save' the world. I wish we could, but we can't.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:38 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,535,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The US cannot 'save' the world. I wish we could, but we can't.
What a mouthful you have said there!! I truly believe its time we as a country focus on what is happening with the onslaught or invasion of illegals coming across our borders. For I fear if we do not that in a very short time we will no longer know this country as it was.

I'm tired of seeing my tax dollars sent all over the world, tired of hearing of trillions of dollars of deficits in our government. Tired of bailouts that line CEO's pockets. Tired of reading headlines where another oil company is posting record profits while I am paying record gas prices.

I see our country breeding a new generation of welfare recipitants, not only in illegals but in our own citizens. I personally have had people come to work for me, wanting to be paid in cash so it did not mess up their benefits.

I believe the USA still needs to have a presence world wide, especially in the fight on terrorism as that is important to keep them from attacking our our homeland.

I don't have the answers, I wish I did, but what is going now to me isn't working...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 PM

262 posts, read 1,021,165 times
Quote:

What planet were you living on in 2004? Illegal Immigration has been a hot topic of debate for my entire life, and it has certainly been a major issue since 9/11.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,535,418 times

YouTube - The Second American Revolution

If you have 5 minutes listen to this. I don't agree with all of it, but a lot of what is said makes sense.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
Default What happened

I am not at all impressed with the way that things are going in my hometown. Born and raised in a small community...it was good...I had the "good life". Now, in less than 20 years we have gone down the proverbial toilette. Our crime rate is up, we have gangs, around every corner there seems to be some type of trouble. The worst part of it is now we have Somalians and Sudanese. I guess it would not be so bad, but these people are filthy. They hike up there skirts and defecate just about everywhere...including the isles at our local Wal-Mart and then refuse to clean it up. They demand time to pray...that is fine...pray, but do not demand to get paid for the time that they spend away from their job. And this just tops the charts!!! They receive all types of government assistance because they are refugees. They receive aid for housing, food, medical and "God" knows what else even with the fact that they, both spouses, are gainfully employed. What a CROCK

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,604,436 times
Ignorant. There are millions of natural born Americans the sponge off the system but just because there are people doing it from Africa or Mexico it's worse? Give me a break.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 AM

94 posts, read 335,464 times
LaniKay you must live in Lexington?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,604,436 times
Wow. Reading back over some of this thread it's amazing the amount of ignorance and racism there is out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska