Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 12,835 times

Advertisements

hi there everyone it's nice to be here

so the gist of it is that I'm a 33 years old man (single and loving it), and I was just offered 250K a year to take a job in Lincoln. I've never been there, but from what I've gathered online it looks like an amazing town to live in.
I know that 250k a year is a respectable income is any part of the country, but I want to specifically know what I can expect in regard to living in lincoln.

my circumstances:

1. I'm interested in saving most of my salary
2. I'm planning to buy a single family house (2-3 bedrooms)
3. I don't drink, smoke or have any kind of nightlife.
4. I don't have any debts
5. I cook all my meals at home but use the best ingredients available (not talking about novelty foods here, but I buy mostly from farmers market)

anyways what do you think about this? what can I expect here?

also, I have a question just for fun. let's say I'm going to spend 100-150k a year. how good of a life (materially of course) can I expect? like can I go to the spa every 14-15 days? be part of a country club? go to a good restaurant for 3-4 meals a week. you know just pamper myself.

sorry if the question sounds a little idiotic, most of my life I've lived in the most expensive cities in the world (Dubai, Tokyo, new york, Milan) so I don't really have a good idea of how much money 250k really is.

many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,881,005 times
You'll have no trouble living a very nice lifestyle on that salary while banking half your income. You'll easily be able to afford a nice house (and some acreage, if you want it) and will be able to eat out regularly. The bigger question is whether after spending your life in large cities like Tokyo and New York City you'll enjoy the more leisurely life in Lincoln. Given that salary, I'd certainly give it a try!

Old 05-20-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You'll have no trouble living a very nice lifestyle on that salary while banking half your income. You'll easily be able to afford a nice house (and some acreage, if you want it) and will be able to eat out regularly. The bigger question is whether after spending your life in large cities like Tokyo and New York City you'll enjoy the more leisurely life in Lincoln. Given that salary, I'd certainly give it a try!
hey there
thank you for the answer

actually, the small-ish town lifestyle is what appeals to me. it may be wrong for a 33 years old to want to "get away from it all" but I've been in a VERY high-stress industry since I was 21 (finance, specifically sales and trading for the first few years and after that High-frequency trading) I'm talking about working 80-100 hours a week in an environment which a small mistakes will translate to loss of at least a few hundred thousands.

that's why I'm looking forward to living the somewhat slow life in a house with my very own back yard and spare room and whatnot. my last place was a one bedroom apartment in manhattan and I barely had any room or time to do anything.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,881,005 times
You will find Lincoln a paradise, then! You can buy an extremely nice house for $250k, and a palace or some significant acreage for $500, unlike the coast where owning a delapidated shack costs 10x your annual income. And between Lincoln and Omaha (which is just an hour's drive away) there are enough things to do to keep you busy on the weekends. I think you'll like it.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
You'll have no problem doing what you want.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 PM

thank you for the encouraging reply guys
really appreciate it

Old 05-21-2017, 12:02 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,210,605 times
You're gonna have a tough time on only $250K but thankfully Buffett lives
nearby in Omaha, he can give you some tips.
Or just buy some Berkshirehathaway stock and sitback and relax

Just kidding...you'll do ok

Old 05-22-2017, 10:21 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,532,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful guy View Post
hi there everyone it's nice to be here

so the gist of it is that I'm a 33 years old man (single and loving it), and I was just offered 250K a year to take a job in Lincoln. I've never been there, but from what I've gathered online it looks like an amazing town to live in.
I know that 250k a year is a respectable income is any part of the country, but I want to specifically know what I can expect in regard to living in lincoln.

my circumstances:

1. I'm interested in saving most of my salary
2. I'm planning to buy a single family house (2-3 bedrooms)
3. I don't drink, smoke or have any kind of nightlife.
4. I don't have any debts
5. I cook all my meals at home but use the best ingredients available (not talking about novelty foods here, but I buy mostly from farmers market)

anyways what do you think about this? what can I expect here?

also, I have a question just for fun. let's say I'm going to spend 100-150k a year. how good of a life (materially of course) can I expect? like can I go to the spa every 14-15 days? be part of a country club? go to a good restaurant for 3-4 meals a week. you know just pamper myself.

sorry if the question sounds a little idiotic, most of my life I've lived in the most expensive cities in the world (Dubai, Tokyo, new york, Milan) so I don't really have a good idea of how much money 250k really is.

many thanks
If you make $250,000 a year, and you live modestly as far as housing goes, you'll have enough money left over, you'll be able do just about anything you want to do and go anyplace you want to go. You can join any country club you want and hob-nob with other high income people. You can have the world by the tail. Just be very wise about it. If you do decide to get a place in the high rent district, that might put a damper on much "fun" money you have to do the things you like to do and go to the places you like to go. If you can live modestly and conservatively throughout your young and middle age years, and save and invest money wisely, you will probably be able to retire at a very young age. Maybe even before you're 50 years old, which isn't as far off as it seems that it is. If you can find a high income girl to share your life with, and combine your salaries, you would have it made then. You would probably be consirdered "rich". Maybe not filthy rich, but just "rich". Sort of "well-to-do", "new money", "loaded", etc. At your youtful age and just starting out and making 250k a year, you're very fortunate. To not have to worry about having enough money to pay your bills and still be able to do the things you like to do, it may not make a person happy, but it certainly will lower the stress level of an average person's day to day life. Good luck. I'll be rooting for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska