U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you want the State Fair?
Grand Island 25 62.50%
Lincoln 15 37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:11 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,632,249 times

Advertisements

State fair topic is heating up again. Where do you want it, Grand Island or Lincoln?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM

I personally would like to see it come to Grand Island, just because I want to Western Nebraska to have something "state." I really never have gotten into the fair, so its not the biggest deal to me, but I would like to see it be successful. I also think a research park would be great for Lincoln and the University.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,532,652 times
I'm in the Omaha Metro area, but would really like to see it go to Grand Island... I think of the Panhandle and the SandHills part of the state and I think they would benefit greatly with the fair in GI... To me the success of the fair is its rural and agricultural roots.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,648,117 times
I agree. I grew up in northcentral Nebraska, lived in Lincoln for about 10 years, and now live in west Omaha.

I think the interests of all parties involved would be best served with the Fair in G.I. and the research park north of the U. Obviously, being someone who did research at the university I have a particular interest in the expansion of the university's research presence, but I think its something that could really help Lincoln take that leap into the 21st century. When you add it in with the haymarket expansion and the other projects around the downtown area its starting to appear that Lincoln is gaining a bit of progressive momentum.

Further, I think if the Fair were moved to G.I. you'd see a reinvigoration of the Fair. I would also add that I think people in Omaha and Lincoln tend to discount the number of people in the G.I. area and the fact that driving 60 miles is nothing for out-state Nebraskans. You would target populations from G.I., Kearney, and Hastings. This doesn't even include the numerous small towns in a 60 mile radius. As a result, you get a pretty large target population for the fair. Plus, the percentage of people that go to the fair will be much much higher in the G.I. area than the Lincoln area. The State Fair is just something that really resonates with people from out-state Nebraska...much more so than people from Omaha and Lincoln.

Lincolnites kind of take the fair for granted. That would not happen in G.I. I would also add that it is the STATE fair and not the Lincoln fair. Would it kill Lincolnites to travel west of the NW 48th street exit once in a while??

Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,345,980 times
Aside from the fact that Grand Island is barely even into central Nebraska, much less western, I would like to see a bit more going on for the state that's not right there in Omahanlincoln.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:30 AM

Wow, 8-0 so far, kinda suprising. If G.I. gets the fair, it will be interesting to see how Fonner evolves and how the state fair changes.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,868 times
I have never been to the state fair. However, if it were moved to Grand Island, I would be more apt to drive the hour and half than the 3 hours to Lincoln.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,170,671 times
I'm all for the move out of the Metro areas with some of the state functions myself.

State Fair Park has its memories and you might even say some traditions along with it. But the buildings are getting old, parking is a limited, especially when a football game is on. Moving it to GI I believe will revitalize the event and bring back the rural population again.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 PM

43 posts, read 124,282 times
i think it should be on 84th street

Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,194,948 times
I would rather it stay in Lincoln. It's much closer to most of the states population. I don't see it doing well in GI which is sad because attendance has been on the up the last few years. I most likely wouldn't go to the State Fiar in GI not out of spite but because the logistics of it wouldn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or