Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 28,663 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I live close to the Quad Cities in Iowa and will be taking a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming this summer to visit relatives. My question is, which route, if either, is better/worse? I have traveled the stretch of I-80 several years ago when I visited Utah. Wasn't anything to see really. Is Highway 20 any less boring? The travel times and distances aren't much different so I am leaning towards taking 20. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
I would take I80 just because of the services available. Gas stations, restaurants, motels, shopping are easy to find along I80. Highway 20 just doesn't have much, so if you have car trouble or need something special you may not be able to find it.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
20 will take you a LONG time (But you can see Car Henge!, and Ft Laramie) I did it weekly on a trucking route, LOTS of small towns (with cops) so take it ez and enjoy the back country. I drove DINOSAURS and never broke down while in Rural NE. But I got LOTS of speeding tickets and many more warnings.

I would do a loop / different way each direction (and drive a LOT of it at night).

while in NE (on 80)... Don't miss Pioneer Village, (discount admission with camping or motel) Hot Cakes are great!; and Ole's Big Game Cafe if you have a chance + Cabela's in Sidney

While in WY on 80... DON'T miss Vedauwoo and Snowy Range (Centennial - Saratoga, WY ...Hobo Hot Springs pool (free))

If you get to YNP... do the Beartooth!

Search "Scenic Byways" for neat road trips.

While with relatives... take their raft from Jackson Dam down to Jackson (at dawn) . Animals & vistas are spectacular, probably my BEST trip ever! (and I have had a LOT of wonderful trips worldwide. Rigth up there with Switzerland and Italian Alps / Dolomites for pristine view.) On the river for 4 hrs... we saw NO - ONE!!! That is saying a LOT for the Tetons...

Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Oh, take 20!
20 across Iowa is pretty boring, though you can stop in Fort Dodge at the historic site - it's right near the highway.

But in Nebraska, 20 gets more and more interesting as you go further west. The part between Valentine and the border is a really interesting drive. Not much traffic on it, either.

In fact, if you're not in a super hurry, just west of Sioux City bounce up from 20 and take 12 west across the top of the state near the Missouri River. It's a really nice scenic drive. You'll hit 20 again at Valentine, so it's really not out of your way, and it may even be a little bit of a shortcut.

If you're not in a hurry there's rarely any good reason to take one of the freeways; they're always the most boring route.

But if you DO take 80, be sure get off at Minden and spend a day at the Pioneer Village there. It's great Americana.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
While (if) on 80 in NE, the Windmill State Rec Area (fee area) is a great rest area / picnic spot (near Gibbon... / Next exit from Minden), (2) exits east of Kearney)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska