Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:32 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times

Advertisements

What do people think of living in Nebraska? I can see the city data forum on Nebraska is pretty small in comparison to city data forums for coastline states.

I do like to ask how many have moved from coastal or more progressive states i.e Washington, California, New York, NJ. New England to Nebraska and whether you liked your decision or not?

Do you feel you are more free in Nebraska compared to where you used to live?

And what are the annoyances of living in Nebraska?

How is the employment situation in Nebraska? I heard neighboring Iowa are desperately looking for new workers. Hence the joke if you are smiling we're hiring. Is that the case in Nebraska as well?
How is cost of living. I know that its definitely lower than most states I mentioned above. Of course some people would still point out that taxes or other fees are too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:21 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I do like to ask how many have moved from coastal or more progressive states i.e Washington, California, New York, NJ. New England to Nebraska and whether you liked your decision or not?
I did, and I'm perfectly happy with my decision.

Quote:
Do you feel you are more free in Nebraska compared to where you used to live?
Yes, in the sense that things are less crowded here. Other than that, I can't say it feels much different from the other places I've lived.

Quote:
And what are the annoyances of living in Nebraska?
For me it's the weather, hands down. The winter cold bothers me more than it used to (although on average the winters are getting warmer), and I hate the thunderstorms.

Quote:
How is the employment situation in Nebraska? I heard neighboring Iowa are desperately looking for new workers. Hence the joke if you are smiling we're hiring. Is that the case in Nebraska as well?
Yes, in the larger towns. It's a different story in the smaller, rural areas (just as it is in Iowa).

Quote:
How is cost of living. I know that its definitely lower than most states I mentioned above. Of course some people would still point out that taxes or other fees are too high.
Property taxes are high, but the cost of a house is lower than in the expensive coastal areas, so that probably evens things out. Overall the cost of living is moderate.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I did, and I'm perfectly happy with my decision.

Yes, in the sense that things are less crowded here. Other than that, I can't say it feels much different from the other places I've lived.

For me it's the weather, hands down. The winter cold bothers me more than it used to (although on average the winters are getting warmer), and I hate the thunderstorms.

Yes, in the larger towns. It's a different story in the smaller, rural areas (just as it is in Iowa).

Property taxes are high, but the cost of a house is lower than in the expensive coastal areas, so that probably evens things out. Overall the cost of living is moderate.
I am glad to finally hear from someone on this matter. It appears City Data is much quieter in the middle of the country compared to the coasts. Generally it appears its mostly progressives that use online forums more often.

Glad you mention its less crowded. Which means more freedom. I guess there is less of those crazy nonsense legislation that occurs elsewhere. And interestingly I heard Nebraska also doesn't embrace the other extremism that other rural states may embrace such as stand your ground laws.

Interestingly how property taxes are high. Though I guess probably not as bad as coastal areas particuarly how houses are cheaper. I find it interesting its how neighborhoring South Dakota is the state that wants nationwide Internet taxation and not some high tax state like NY or CA they recently took the 1992 fedreal court decision regarding out of state commerce to federal court and maybe it gone in their favor.

I heard that Nebraska gets heavy rain and big hailstones? Is hail damage an issue. While I know that there are tornados but these are less of a concern as the chances of being blown away by one in a vary spot is less than one in 1000 years.

I will be curious where are the best opportunities for job seekers aside from Omaha of course. What about those who want to work from a motorhome?

Old 08-13-2018, 04:19 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Glad you mention its less crowded. Which means more freedom. I guess there is less of those crazy nonsense legislation that occurs elsewhere. And interestingly I heard Nebraska also doesn't embrace the other extremism that other rural states may embrace such as stand your ground laws.
Nebraska is a bit schizophrenic in that regard. The Omaha/Lincoln area (where the majority of the population lives) is more moderate politically than the rest of the state, which is much more conservative. Someone from the coasts may find Omaha Ok, but the rest fo the state too conservative to be comfortable in long-term. As for crazy legislation and extremism: those are in the eye of the beholder. But the overall feeling I get (at least here in Omaha) is definitely "live and let live."

Quote:
Interestingly how property taxes are high. Though I guess probably not as bad as coastal areas particuarly how houses are cheaper.
Much of the central and upper Midwest has high property taxes. It often catches newcomers the region off-guard, because they're not expecting it in what are supposedly 'low cost of living" areas.

Quote:
I heard that Nebraska gets heavy rain and big hailstones?
Yes, along with very high winds.

Quote:
Is hail damage an issue.
Hail damage is a major issue, yes. Roofs rarely last longer than 10 years here; the hail sees to that. Here are some photos taken a few years ago from a town just north of Omaha, which shows how severe the hail damage can sometimes be: https://stormandsky.com/2014-6-3.html (The hail that hit Blair was baseball-sized.) But Nebraska is no worse than Kansas, Oklahoma, the Dakotas, or Iowa when it comes to severe weather; it's an issue everywhere on the Great Plains.

Quote:
I will be curious where are the best opportunities for job seekers aside from Omaha of course. What about those who want to work from a motorhome?
Best bets outside Omaha would be in Lincoln, Grand Island, and possibly Kearney, North Platte, and Scottsbluff. I can't help you as far as the specifics of working from a motorhome, but I will caution you that they are not safe in severe storms - so if you want to live in one, you need to have a safe place to go when the weather turns stormy.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Here are some photos taken a few years ago from a town just north of Omaha, which shows how severe the hail damage can sometimes be
looks like there was a firefight between the US Army and the Taliban

Old 08-18-2018, 01:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
My house was hit with baseball size hail a few years ago. Baseball hail is the largest hail I have had. Golf ball size hail is fairly normal here. I was inside the house when I was hit with the baseball size and I thought someone was hitting the side of my house with a sledge hammer. The sound was deafening.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
My house was hit with baseball size hail a few years ago. Baseball hail is the largest hail I have had. Golf ball size hail is fairly normal here. I was inside the house when I was hit with the baseball size and I thought someone was hitting the side of my house with a sledge hammer. The sound was deafening.
Just curious How often does this happen? Was there any damage to your house, car, or things in the yard/garden?
I guess it would be difficult for those staying in a camper, fifth wheel, or RV.
Also have you ever witnessed a tornado or encountered flash flooding?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Quote:
Just curious How often does this happen? Was there any damage to your house, car, or things in the yard/garden?
I guess it would be difficult for those staying in a camper, fifth wheel, or RV.
Also have you ever witnessed a tornado or encountered flash flooding?
I have never before had baseball size hail in my life of 65 years, however, I have been in several tornados, golf ball size hail, and damaging high winds of up to 90mph. Yes, I had damage to my house from the baseball size hail. All my neighbors and myself had roof damage and car damage.

As far as tornados, I was very near (2 miles) to an F5 tornado and maybe 8-10 lesser tornados. Every year we have at least 3-4 very bad weather events that cause trees down and/or power outages. Since I have about 150 trees on my property I never run out of fire wood.

As far as floods, I have been in several. It seems like every few years this area as had flooding. We live on the side of a hill and above flood levels, so we don't get any damage, but plenty of others get flooded out of their houses. In-fact, as I'm writing this we are under flash flood warnings. Omaha has power outages and street flooding right now.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 PM

I hope no windows were broken.
Did you actually get to see the F5 tornado?
Which part of Nebraska did you live close to?

I would guess heating bills would be very low if there is a lot of wood stoves around the interior and one is willing to cut the wood. These days eco nazis are cracking down on wood burning in different parts of the country. And utilities per kilowatt hour based on what I see is not bad in Nebraska compared to other parts of the country.

I guess its important to live on a higher part of the area. Or park a camper or motorhome at a higher area if one staying inside. To avoid being flooded.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
I hope no windows were broken.
Did you actually get to see the F5 tornado?
Which part of Nebraska did you live close to?

I would guess heating bills would be very low if there is a lot of wood stoves around the interior and one is willing to cut the wood. These days eco nazis are cracking down on wood burning in different parts of the country. And utilities per kilowatt hour based on what I see is not bad in Nebraska compared to other parts of the country.

I guess its important to live on a higher part of the area. Or park a camper or motorhome at a higher area if one staying inside. To avoid being flooded.
Are you a prepper looking to move from CA?

Do your research.

SD / ID may suit you better.

Though very nice... NE is NOT cheap!!! (nor forgiving... weather / people / conditions / legislation / CoL)

.. average monthly residential electricity bill in Nebraska is 6.54% less than the national average monthly bill of $107.
I pay ~ 1/2 the NE Electric rate (and am MUCH closer to CA... ) ID has Nuclear AND Geothermal (real geothermal as in HEAT from Earth, not some silly 'ground source heat pump' (geothermal (?))... )

Yes, it is ALWAYS a good idea to build on high ground (Floods),
Beware of tornadoes...
Tough to escape hail. ! Tho NE has far less LARGE SIZE damaging hail than Colorado. (but it can / will happen)
Both CO and NE have vicious Locust infestations! (Eat the paint / window screens off your house and car and every living thing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska