U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,938,124 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I feel about this.
Kearney Hub - $3M Insurance: City will pay state’s portion to move interchange forward
Kearney Hub - Johnson: Now is perfect time to build
I am really glad for Kearney, this project needs to be done to relieve some traffic of 2nd avenue, give the city a second exit to I-80, give the city a development corridor, and also help access to the industrial park, Cabela's, airport and the Archway. I'm glad they decided not to mess with the state anymore and do what is best for there city and also build it before cost got to be too much.

At the same time, I feel they are kind of getting screwed. The legislature overide the veto, so now there is going to be a gas tax increase to create more money for the department of roads. Also in the article in the Journal Star it stated that 15 million will be taken out of the reserve for "federally earmarked projects," which the Kearney project is one of those projects. Now this was yesterday and Kearney announced their decision today, so they obiviously felt that the state still wasn't going to pay their $3 million till much later.
JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - News - Politics (http://www.lincolnjournalstar.com/articles/2008/04/07/news/politics/doc47fa522919d83733660511.txt - broken link)

I'm glad for Kearney, this will be a good project for the city, but I'm sad they have to pay for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,631,371 times
I agree that a second exit to Kearney is needed. I have read about this issue in the past few years and think it would make sense. If a city like Kearney was in South Dakota, it would definitely have a second exit and possibly a thrid one. Cities that are adjacent to the interstate like Kearney over 5,000 people in South Dakota generally have two or more exits.

I have been by Kearney a number of times (at least once a year) on my way to Colorado and think it is rediculous to have a city of about 30,000 with one exit. The congestion for the size of the city is bad and another exit will take pressure off of the main road and help with traffic and future growth of the city.

I agree with tpabes that it is unfortunate that the city has to take matters into its own hands due to state slowpoking around on getting in a much-needed exit for Kearney.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,164,190 times
I cannot find where it says which road would become the new exit. I was actually born in Kearney so my family goes down there to see old friends. I remember my parents' friend saying that a second exit was planned west of Kearney, but it'd be years before that happened.

Kearney's needed a second exit for years. I'd bet a third one would really help too. I can't get over how much the hospital itself has expanded.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM

4,178 posts, read 10,283,842 times
Boy do I sympathize. Or, empathize. State and even Federal Governments seem to have blinders on when it comes to growth; it always seems like that by the time the legislators and bureaucrats get off the stick, what they build is already 10-20 years out of date.

What we did was not raise taxes, but to demand that developers near the interstate who wanted to develop not only had to donate the land for the interstate, but put money into its development. This will benefit them in the long run, with the development corridor being established right though their commercial planning, and will ensure that they will have people on the interstate coming to their businesses. Over $1 million has been set aside by these businesses already on top of the land donation.

Never let government get in the way of progress! LOL

Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I cannot find where it says which road would become the new exit. I was actually born in Kearney so my family goes down there to see old friends. I remember my parents' friend saying that a second exit was planned west of Kearney, but it'd be years before that happened.

Kearney's needed a second exit for years. I'd bet a third one would really help too. I can't get over how much the hospital itself has expanded.
Yes, it will be an exit about 3 miles east of the 2nd avenue one. In the really long range plans, Kearney does want another exit for the west end of the city, but that is a long, long, long way off. The hospital is actually another reason for building the interchange and bypass. They were concerned about emergency vechicles traveling a congested 2nd avenue.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,041,949 times
Default what!!

How can a city of about 30,000 have just one exit off the interstate?

There should be three, at least!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Boy do I sympathize. Or, empathize. State and even Federal Governments seem to have blinders on when it comes to growth; it always seems like that by the time the legislators and bureaucrats get off the stick, what they build is already 10-20 years out of date.

What we did was not raise taxes, but to demand that developers near the interstate who wanted to develop not only had to donate the land for the interstate, but put money into its development. This will benefit them in the long run, with the development corridor being established right though their commercial planning, and will ensure that they will have people on the interstate coming to their businesses. Over $1 million has been set aside by these businesses already on top of the land donation.

Never let government get in the way of progress! LOL
Very good insight. The idea provide insight and is very forward-thinking in my opinion. It will take cooperation from the business community, city, and citizens to make this happen. It is possible, but will be a challenge that will be worthwhile in the long run for the community.

It always puzzles me why a city of 30,000 has one exit. I can understand if it is a toll road and generally exits are limited on toll roads from a practicality standpoint. Grand Island was the same way (even though it was 5 or so miles off I-80) until the Locust St. interchange was put in. I have used the new exit in the past few years when going through Grand Island and find it to be handy and nice to avoid some of the truck traffic on US 281.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 AM

The thing about Grand Island is that it actually sits a little ways off the interstate while Kearney sits on it. Actually you could give G.I. a third exit if you count the Hwy 2 interchange. Westbound it is signed Grand Island, but eastbound it is signed Phillips. It is a couple miles east of town. You could also argue the Minden exit is an exit for east Kearney, as if you go north on Hwy 10 to Hwy 30, you are about 3 miles east of Kearney. When the new bypass is built, that will become the new Hwy 10.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 AM

tpabes, I forgot about the Highway 2 exit, which you are right on that one. I have been using the Locust Street exit and find it convenient, but trying to get to Locust St. south from US 30 can be a pain in downtown Grand Island and wish that there was a more direct way in downtown, but I have watch the signs more carefully. Locust St. south is nice due to a number of gas stations and eating places on the route and less truck traffic than US 281.

I enjoy stopping in Kearney and have stayed overnight once. I do not care for the congestion on 2nd St. and can agree with the others' support for a second exit. I think that it would be good for passer-bys in the long run with additional services and easier access to the museum over the interestate. The traffic on I-80 and local traffic may warrant additional gas stations, motels, and eating places. I think it will also be a boost to the museum.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:40 PM

It will be interesting to see what would be developed out by the new exit and also the whole corridor. It really is a terrific opportunity.

Chris, if you ever want to bypass downtown, and don't need gas or food, you can go south on Shady Bend Rd (it is the first stoplight as you are coming into Grand Island on westbound Hwy 30) and take it south clear to Hwy 34. Take 34 east to Locust (Wal-mart is on the corner) and go south to I-80. Shady Bend only has 1 stoplight and it has a higher speed limit, although you chance getting stopped by a train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska