U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:37 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,993 times

Advertisements

Nebrgirl - Well, We close on the house the end of May, so I am back in SC getting ready for the move. Sigh. And going crazy - the seller and I email at least twice a week, and she tells me that the tulips are coming up, about the weather they are getting, everything. Argh!!! LOL She gave me the past four months of copies of the Valentine newspaper; so I have been reading them and so has hubby, soaking up the attitude and culture of the area.

Thanks for the heads-up about Merriman; we went thru but have not stopped yet. And yes the bank... good grief. There is nothing you can say that expresses the skill and patience that had to go into that frieze. And totally unexpected! The attention to art and beauty is so meticulous in the Sandhills; everyone has a talent and uses it for the benefit of the community. Lovely.

Can't wait to be there for sure! Stay in touch, you might be forced to return... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,732 times
Just as a point of clarification, unlike the Platte which is indeed fueled by snow-pack, the Niobrara is almost exclusively spring-fed. And while it does originate in extreme eastern Wyoming, it is Nebraska's river as it's primarily fed by Nebraska's springs.

DH grew up on a ranch in Sioux county, just east of the Wyoming line and the Niobrara ran through several of their pastures. As a kid he could never understand the reverance Nebraska seems to have for that river.
Geez, he could step across it, afterall! It was nothing but a glorified creek. lol He was a little older when he finally saw it up in Cherry county.

And I should hope to describe it as well as Granny. We lived on a ranch that straddled the Niobrara south of Kilgore. Our house sat about a quarter mile from the river. All those trees, the cool, the bluffs... Without a doubt, it was my favorite house.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,993 times
LOL that reminds me of the first time I saw the Rio Grande in NM. It was a creek, too! I thought, "Wow, photographers must have to lay down in the dirt to get the pictures of those "bluffs" to look real!" Turned out later I was really wrong about it! LOL

Well, we won't be close to the river in Cody, but close enough. Which is ok too - I like water being close but not in my backyard - it can become problematic between bugs, snakes, and flooding...
plus the Corps of Engineers get knots in their tails when they think something might have been a wetland, once.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
LOL that reminds me of the first time I saw the Rio Grande in NM. It was a creek, too! I thought, "Wow, photographers must have to lay down in the dirt to get the pictures of those "bluffs" to look real!" Turned out later I was really wrong about it! LOL

Well, we won't be close to the river in Cody, but close enough. Which is ok too - I like water being close but not in my backyard - it can become problematic between bugs, snakes, and flooding...
plus the Corps of Engineers get knots in their tails when they think something might have been a wetland, once.

Reminds me of this dream I had last night, somebody was filming a giant anaconda that had the width of a house and the length of probably 5 city blocks, and the funny thing was that the anaconda was in the backyard of somebody's house, a backyard that had several ponds and was really green, but anyway when the anaconda went by coming through the yard out from behind some trees and then out of the yard through other trees, and there a kid was skiing off of the back end of it, lol...

I know this dream has no significance in this discussion, but I couldn't help but to type if after reading your last responce SCG

Old 04-30-2008, 03:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,629,294 times
Well, you may call it a dream, but that would be a nightmare for me. I hate snakes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska