U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2019, 08:23 PM
 
272 posts, read 66,101 times
Reputation: 183

Advertisements

Driving though Nebraska in a Prius can be scary but I've done it. I've driven from Omaha on through to Colorado. Nebraska is very windy and a Prius is a light car so it can be a challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Reputation: 23407
There are many Prius drivers in NE and in MUCH worse windy Wyoming.

@3000# a Prius is nearly 2x heavier than my car (that grew up in WY, NE, CO) and still drives there just fine. 43 yrs later.

Watch the bridges and overpasses (especially in drifting snow and ice).

Prius has a very low center of gravity, so I have never seen one upside down in median after being blown over (as you see 50,000#+ semi trucks in WY.) I have driven commercially in NE for 40+ yrs, but have never seen a truck blown over in NE, but it could happen. I was in a wind blast in CA 3 yrs ago that toppled (9) Semi trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 AM
 
Location: In the house we finally own!
516 posts, read 256,017 times
Reputation: 2434
I lived in Colorado for most of my adult life, and have seen some killer winds. Once while going north on I-25 near Broomfield I saw it blow the shell off the back of a pickup and roll it like a tumbleweed down the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 PM
 
272 posts, read 66,101 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are many Prius drivers in NE and in MUCH worse windy Wyoming.

@3000# a Prius is nearly 2x heavier than my car (that grew up in WY, NE, CO) and still drives there just fine. 43 yrs later.

Watch the bridges and overpasses (especially in drifting snow and ice).

Prius has a very low center of gravity, so I have never seen one upside down in median after being blown over (as you see 50,000#+ semi trucks in WY.) I have driven commercially in NE for 40+ yrs, but have never seen a truck blown over in NE, but it could happen. I was in a wind blast in CA 3 yrs ago that toppled (9) Semi trucks.
Wyoming is much more windy than Nebraska? I haven't been to Wyoming as often as I've been to Nebraska but when I was there I don't remember it being super windy. I was in the area of Yellowstone Park, maybe it was the area I was in. I also drove through Wyoming and spent the night there when I was driving back from Reno. I took route 80 through Wyoming. From what I remember it wasn't particularly windy then either.

When I do go through Nebraska I take route 80. As I said earlier I drive a Prius and my car gets blown around on the road. Nebraska is windier than Kansas from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Iowa
46 posts, read 9,465 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Wyoming is much more windy than Nebraska? I haven't been to Wyoming as often as I've been to Nebraska but when I was there I don't remember it being super windy. I was in the area of Yellowstone Park, maybe it was the area I was in. I also drove through Wyoming and spent the night there when I was driving back from Reno. I took route 80 through Wyoming. From what I remember it wasn't particularly windy then either.

When I do go through Nebraska I take route 80. As I said earlier I drive a Prius and my car gets blown around on the road. Nebraska is windier than Kansas from my experience.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/cl...ename=wnd60b13

This supports the idea that Nebraska is windier than Wyoming - although the map isn't granular enough to capture windy spots such as mountain passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Alaska
5 posts, read 684 times
Reputation: 10
The main thing that everything was possible, you are well done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Reputation: 23407
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/cl...ename=wnd60b13

This supports the idea that Nebraska is windier than Wyoming - although the map isn't granular enough to capture windy spots such as mountain passes.
Usually 'averages', not peak gusts. Most of the prairie has constant wind (moderate). While living in NE I can remember months of wind. In Colorado... wind terror. Nights when the house shook. One morning our neighbor's new home was GONE, blown away. Furniture and insulation and clothes strewn across several miles of open field.

In hundreds of trips through NE, I have never seen a stretch of NE when semi-trucks were lying on their sides, (in fact I have never seen ONE blown over in NE, but probably has happened) but this is common in WY. (especially near Chugwater (I-25) and Elk Mtn (I-80)).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA16ivK6iDI

When moving across WY, we stopped at a rest area to use the bathroom, when we came out, our moving truck had blown across the parking lot (on the ice). Fortunately it hit the curb, so wasn't stuck, We got back in and kept driving.

Where we live now, we get frequent 80 mph winds and freezing rain. I drive a 1600# car, but have a 3,050# back-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 02:35 AM
 
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
10,489 posts, read 8,693,750 times
Reputation: 12142
I've driven through both states on I-80 several times, wall to wall, through high winds, driving snow and freezing cold, but never in a Prius. Both states can be tough to handle in bad weather. There are more gas stations and wayside towns in Nebraska on I-80, where you can turn in and spend a night until the bad weather subsides. I-90, which I've also driven, is more interesting and scenic if you're headed Northwest. Once you get through North Dakota, there are many places to turn in when the weather become troublesome. To the South, I-40 is better for weather, except during Tornado season, when I used to keep the radio tuned to stations with a lot of weather news in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. I have a lot of weather stories under my seatbelt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Iowa
46 posts, read 9,465 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Usually 'averages', not peak gusts. Most of the prairie has constant wind (moderate). While living in NE I can remember months of wind. In Colorado... wind terror. Nights when the house shook. One morning our neighbor's new home was GONE, blown away. Furniture and insulation and clothes strewn across several miles of open field.
Very true - and you can see this if you pick the peak gust maps, especially 50+mph.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/cli...ename=wnd63c13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 AM
 
272 posts, read 66,101 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In Colorado... wind terror.
I suppose Colorado can be very windy west of Denver, but not east of Denver where its very beautiful and which is the place to be if you're in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top