U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2020, 03:21 PM

46 posts, read 27,260 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at working on a project in Western Nebraska, around the North Platte and Ogalalla area.

This would require me to live in the area for 6-12 months possibly, particularly if my company enters into a formal JV. I won't have to visit this company's facilities daily, but I will have to be there 1-3x/week most likely.

I had been looking at possibly making the drive from NE Colorado, but that doesn't seem feasible.

Anyway, there's an old thread about North Platte on here that's not too flattering, but just wanted to ask if anyone has any insight into the lay of the land in 2020? Looks like there's a Dunkin and Starbucks in town, so at least I'll be able to get my coffee fix haha.

Fortunately, both EAR and LBF have daily flights to DEN, and EAR even has a direct flight to ORD.

How is North Platte doing these days? Is there foot traffic in the downtown area? Other than that, are there parts of town to avoid for a rental?

I've heard some good things about Kearney, but it would add another 1.5hrs to the commute when I do need to drive. Is Kearney noticeably nicer and does it have a better quality of life to make the drive worth it?

I spent the first 3-4yrs of my early career living in small towns (25-30k) in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. I've never really been this far west in the countryside; is the experience going to be much different the eastern part of the Midwest?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 05:33 PM

105 posts, read 148,749 times
My suggestion is please DO NOT move to North Platte. This is a dead horse town, period. You would be much better off in Kearney.
I know because I live here and unfortunately, because I'm retired, I can't get out of this town either.
Union Pacific has laid off several thousand people here. UP was a major employer here, not any more. A lot of young families have left. The jobs here are below minimum wage and mostly service jobs, but because of Covid, there is literally nothing here.
The city is a loss, local government is corrupt and goes nowhere.
Kearney is and has built itself up. It has seen the future needs and has apartments available. North Platte has old dilapidated housing and few apartments. The rents are high even though jobs are few.
So, my advice would be to pursue Kearney.
Another thing to consider, if you are young and single, you don't want to date in North Platte. A lot of the population is chemically dependant.
Sorry to sound harsh but I speak the truth and don't want to see you get stuck here with no way out.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:55 PM

9,253 posts, read 5,501,986 times
^^^Agree with the poster above. Kearney is much nicer than North Platte. I suspect Ogalalla is nicer, too.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:39 PM

Just a FYI. Ogallala is much smaller, less than 5,000. There is very little rental options available if any.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,087 posts, read 45,179,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
I'm looking at working on a project in Western Nebraska, around the North Platte and Ogalalla area.

I spent the first 3-4yrs of my early career living in small towns (25-30k) in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. I've never really been this far west in the countryside; is the experience going to be much different the eastern part of the Midwest?
Hopefully you found a spot.

If not... head to Paxton and enjoy frequent meals at Ole's. (Especially good if they do Brisket for a catering event and you can order the left-overs.) https://www.olesbiggame.com/

Find a farm stay with an empty bunkhouse and live quietly ever after. Pick up a snowmobile for winter fun and a motorcycle for summer fun. Take weekend trips to Rapid City, Ft Collins, Laramie, Sheridan.

Indulge at Carhenge, Devil's Tower, Custer State park, Valentine/ Lots of treasure in the region, but not much like a 25,000 - 50,000 population midwest town.

It is, what it is... enjoy learning about the culture and locals while you are there and then move on.

If you find a good companion to team up with for your adventures, they will be a 'keeper'.

Rural WY and ND have some real sweethearts. (they are there when you least expect to find them, friends first, not dating / partying)

Old 11-05-2020, 05:06 AM

2,688 posts, read 903,887 times
About forty years ago, I did a four-week construction job in Hastings. I was really impressed with the town, and remember saying that "This is a place I could see myself living in someday", even though I was only 21 at the time. Interestingly, I quit a job at the Kool-Aid factory in Chicago in order to take that construction gig, only to find out that Hastings was the town where Kool-Aid was originally invented - I thought the Kool Aid pitcher guy was stalking me, LOL.

One of the carpenters on the job told me, "A lot of folks travel to Kearney on the weekends for fun, that's where all the action is". Sounds like some things never change.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 14,793 times
I was in Kearney and Grand Island in August. Both towns seem to be doing well and adding new businesses & growing. Grand Island might have the edge on growth at this time. We stopped in North Platte on the way to Denver for a few minutes. The Starbucks was temporarily closed at the time. NP didn't look too lively. Definitely prefer Kearney. I may be partial because I went to college there

Old 11-15-2020, 02:42 PM

Just a FYI if people are coming across this forum. Sioux Falls SD and Omaha Nebraska are building Amazon distribution campuses. Dollar General is building a Distribution campus for their company in Blair, Nebraska.
Notice, nothing for North Platte. If you're looking to relocate, it's the Eastern part of Nebraska, Eastern South Dakota where the action is.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM

46 posts, read 27,260 times
Thanks for the input everyone. Unfortunately, this deal was a victim of covid- it fell through.

Kearney sounds it would been the best option, but moot point now. We'll see what happens in the next year.

Thanks again,

Eddy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska