U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 12:35 PM

24 posts, read 14,304 times

Advertisements

Daughter lives in NE and is sending us real estate listings to give us an idea of values; we hope to move in the coming year. She likes York and says it's low crime, low poverty, lots of historic homes, a college etc etc. Also a prison. Not sure how concerned to be about that?

Anybody here on the NE forums that is from there, currently lives there or knows somebody who does?

Thanks for any information!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 05:18 PM

729 posts, read 271,618 times
Unfortunately, I don't have any first-hand information for you, but I did some research on York in the past after hearing about a job opportunity there. It looked like a very nice community, for a small town on the plains. I believe the prison is the state women's prison.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:33 PM

24 posts, read 14,304 times
Thank you for the information. I appreciate it!

Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,097 posts, read 45,179,135 times
My cousin (recent retiree) is a 40+ yr York resident and active in the community and churches.
They live within a block of the College.

Pretty nice town with very strong family 'values' and community support.

My dad and friends worked out of nearby Henderson, NE (a Mennoite farming community)
(For newcomers, York might be better to integrate into local society.)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Hender...2026%2C%202020.

http://www.city-data.com/city/York-Nebraska.html

Old 01-01-2021, 06:16 PM

17,057 posts, read 22,369,836 times
Until last March, I would visit friends in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area twice a year. I have stayed the night at York a few times at the Yorkshire Motel, maybe a 1/4 mile north of I-80. And had dinner and breakfast at the Country Kitchen, a block north of the motel. Seems like a nice town, met a fair amount of friendly folks.

I did a search on City Data for more info, couldn't come up with anything. I pulled up Realtor.Com, saw 79 homes for sale. Lots of older homes in the 60K-130K range. IMO it's worth a look see.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,831 times
My wife is from York as she grew up there. It's a nice small town. Low crime, friendly people, reasonable housing costs, and good schools. Lincoln is only 45 minutes away if you want more dining, shopping, and entertainment options as well. Be sure to check out Chances R restaurant and bar if you get a chance. Very good food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska