U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,531,902 times

Advertisements

On Highway 20, anywhere from Bassett west... agree with all of the suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 32,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
The smaller the town, the more difficult employment may become for you, especially wanting to work within that town. Tpabes gave you a couple more good suggestions. Ainsworth would probably fit what you are looking for also but the size of town may be too big for you also.

Cold seems to be really important to you. The panhandle area of our state will see some moderate temps during the winter due to be so close to the front range. Example you may see some days that hit 50 or close to it. But it will definately cool down again at night and the area will also see sub-zero temps for days on end also.

Small town also seems quite important to you along with isolation. Your work skills come into the equation and have a bearing on where you can settle down I think. If isolation is something you want, have you ever given ranch work a thought? Housing is usually furnished in most cases, and you will find yourself isolated for sure on some ranches. A trip once every two weeks into town for the necessities if you plan right is all that is needed. And during the winter on a ranch, you will find cold.
Now that sounds like a good idea. What kind of knowlage do I need to work on a ranch? I didn't think they took in just anyone. I thought it was a family thing. It's not like I plan on spending the rest of my life there.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,345,311 times
It depends upon the job what skills are required.

Knowledge of livestock, equipment, etc. is usually required, but not always. Some places are willing to train if you're willing to work. (And work you will! lol) And no, you don't have to marry the place. That's only if you're really lucky.

Here're a couple of ag. papers to get an idea of what's out there.
The Fence Post
Midwest Messenger

Be forewarned, ranch hands, despite the long hours and often miserable working conditions don't get paid worth beans. Though housing and utilities are almost always included.
And if you have no experience, you can pretty much bet you'll end up on a place that is on the low end of an already low pay scale, working for someone who is less than pleasant. But it's a good way to learn the trade.

--Erin
(a cowboy's wife)

Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Well, I'm content with poor pay. I will have to train i guess, but I am always willing to learn. And I'll be there for as long as I need to get me to the next place and then some.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,170,343 times
ItsMeFred covered your question to me about ranch work. It can be some tough work, but if you can get on fixing some fence, you will get your isolation, believe me. Also sometimes in the Sparks, Ne area (east of Valentine) the canoe outfitters need seasonal drivers for their businesses.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Could you explain that job?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:52 AM

The canoe/tubing outfitters in that area hire seasonal summer help. It would consist of shuttling clients to and from Niobrara River start and stop points for canoeing on the river back to their cabins or camp sites. Also help getting canoes/tubes shuttled back and forth.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

That doesn't sound bad at all.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:05 AM

If you are interested in seeing if any of those guys need help, best hurry as their busy season is upon them.

Valentine, Nebraska A complete guide to Americas Heart City

Above site will direct you to some of them in the area.

To those of you who are viewing this post also, if you haven't taken a trip down the Niobrara ever before or its been a few years you don't know what you are missing. I have been on this river in snow storms to some of the hottest days summer has to offer. Its awesome to say the least. The falls along the river, the tranquility of the float itself, and the awesome scenery along the way. It is a very reasonable trip, if you are into camping, Smith Falls State Park will take care of you and you will enjoy the time. If roughing it isn't your style, there are plenty of other places to stay, just check out the above site. And if you are into a do it yourself trip, give me a shout, I will help where I can with info and certain falls along the river you don't want to miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska