Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times

Advertisements

Hello:

Ord is one of the towns in Nebraska that I've applied for work in.

As long as Ive got a grocery store, laundromat, apartment to live in, decent cable tv/internet/phone services and work close by, I'm a happy camper. I'm not much of a shopper, I'm more of a quiet, homebody type.

Even though I would consider myself a "big city boy" by nature of where I was born, lived and some of the palces I've worked....I much prefer a rural town/way of life. A Place where neighbors know everyone, and you feel safe. Kinda an old fashioned feeling I guess.

I've lived/worked in North Dakota, Mississippi, Florida, Connecticut, New Hampshire and SOuth Carolina. I may be a yankee, but that doesn't rule my life. I am very polite and can fit in/adjust to justabout any attitude or way of life in any town.

What can y'all tell me about Ord? I'm not concerned about weather. I can deal with cold and snow.

I'm looking for information on the town that only those who live in it or nearby might know.

I know Charter Cable provides internet/cable tv service with pretty reasonable prices. Nebraska Central Telephone Company provides phone/cable tv/internet service, but they are as little more expensive.

What grocery stores and shops are in Ord? How easy or hard is it to find a place to rent? How much would a 1 bedroom cost?

Let me know about this quant little town, whatever information you can share is appreciated!

if you'd like to Private Message me, please feel free...!

Last edited by ComputerUser000; 10-19-2007 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: correcting some grammar and spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
I don't have direct experience with Ord, but do know of folks who have lived or worked there. Just from what you describe it sounds like a great fit. Good Luck and welcome to Nebraska

Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 PM

I haven't actually moved to or been to Ord, I'm just doing some checking around incase I happen to get the job.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
Computergeek,

I grew up in a town about 20 miles from Ord. Since the area is rural, Ord was one of the places we went to get groceries, go to the doctor/hospital, dentist, movies theatre, and etc.

Ord is pretty nice little community. Since you are a "big city type" by practice, but prefer the rural area, I'm assuming you are aware of the small population of Ord. I don't actually know for sure anymore, but my guess is that its about 3000 people.

That said, it has all the basics: The last I knew it had 2 locally owned grocery stores, a few hardware stores, and a few small department stores. I know it has at least one pharmacy, and it may have two (but am not sure if the other is still open). It has a nice little hospital and has several GP clinics and dentist offices in the area. It has a one screen movie theatre, which reminds me more of the "good 'ol days". It has a nice golf course. It has several banks and, recently, has had an influx of the "fast food chains" that people have learned to rely on, but they are all isolated in one area on the edge of town.

I was just in Ord last year, as my wife was visiting for professional reasons with the local pharmacy. Its interesting because the pharmacy there is very unique in that it does "individual compounding". Which in short means they compound a lot of their drugs to tailor fit some of their patients...its actually pretty unique today and they get customers from all of the U.S. because of it.

All in all the thing about Ord is that nearly all of the business, save the fast food options, are locally owned and operated. Its almost a flashback to an earlier time and Ord is one of the few places that has been able to maintain that identity. Local grocers, local banks, local pharmacies (NO Walgreens), an etc.

Also, if you're an "outdoorsy type", keep in mind Burwell is only about a 15 minute drive away. They have another golf course and also are home to the Calamus Resevoir, which is a major Nebraska hotspot for outdoor water activities.

As far as what rentals cost, jeez that might be a tough one for me. But compared to what you're used to it will be RIDICULOUSLY cheap. In fact, it would probably be easier for you to rent a house, which would probably rent for maybe $400, obviously depending on what you're looking for. A one bedroom apartment would probably rent for $200 or $300...depending on availability and quality.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Matt:

Thank you very much for the information. By the way, you are more then welcome to call me Paul

yes, I'm aware of how "rural" Ord is and thatsmall population, but that's what attracts me to towns like Ord. My first job was in a town of 1550 people and an hour from any "major" town. Towns like this are just what I prefer, as it is quieter, slower pace of life, people are nice and low crime.

Wow, renting a house for $400? Shoot, that'd be plenty of room for me and my beagle dog, George! ( http://www.walkerbroadcasting.com/pauldogoutside.jpg is a picture of me and the dog )

It sounds like, with the grocery stores, doctors offices, department stores , fast food place and banks thatord has everything one really needs on a daily level to get by.

Thanks again!!
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Computergeek,

I grew up in a town about 20 miles from Ord. Since the area is rural, Ord was one of the places we went to get groceries, go to the doctor/hospital, dentist, movies theatre, and etc.

Ord is pretty nice little community. Since you are a "big city type" by practice, but prefer the rural area, I'm assuming you are aware of the small population of Ord. I don't actually know for sure anymore, but my guess is that its about 3000 people.

That said, it has all the basics: The last I knew it had 2 locally owned grocery stores, a few hardware stores, and a few small department stores. I know it has at least one pharmacy, and it may have two (but am not sure if the other is still open). It has a nice little hospital and has several GP clinics and dentist offices in the area. It has a one screen movie theatre, which reminds me more of the "good 'ol days". It has a nice golf course. It has several banks and, recently, has had an influx of the "fast food chains" that people have learned to rely on, but they are all isolated in one area on the edge of town.

I was just in Ord last year, as my wife was visiting for professional reasons with the local pharmacy. Its interesting because the pharmacy there is very unique in that it does "individual compounding". Which in short means they compound a lot of their drugs to tailor fit some of their patients...its actually pretty unique today and they get customers from all of the U.S. because of it.

All in all the thing about Ord is that nearly all of the business, save the fast food options, are locally owned and operated. Its almost a flashback to an earlier time and Ord is one of the few places that has been able to maintain that identity. Local grocers, local banks, local pharmacies (NO Walgreens), an etc.

Also, if you're an "outdoorsy type", keep in mind Burwell is only about a 15 minute drive away. They have another golf course and also are home to the Calamus Resevoir, which is a major Nebraska hotspot for outdoor water activities.

As far as what rentals cost, jeez that might be a tough one for me. But compared to what you're used to it will be RIDICULOUSLY cheap. In fact, it would probably be easier for you to rent a house, which would probably rent for maybe $400, obviously depending on what you're looking for. A one bedroom apartment would probably rent for $200 or $300...depending on availability and quality.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,478 times
It sounds to me that you'll definitely like Ord. Don't quote me on the rental price, but that is certainly the ballpark. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:07 PM

Yeah, I think if I got the job,. I'd definately like Ord.

The ONLY downside is the internet/phone/cable tv is a little expensive out there.

Charter offers cable tv and internet service, but not phone service.
Vonage or other VOIP providers don't have a local # in the area)
NCTC has no unlimited long distance and their high speed runs $50 to $100 a month

(I could just get a Grand Island Vonage #, as most of the calls Id make would be to out of area and 90 percent of anyone whod call me would be from "back east" anyways).

Does anyone else besides NCTC and Charter provide cable tv/internet/phone service out there? (Not Wildblue, either!)

Old 10-21-2007, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 22,812 times
Ord is great for seclusion and the countryside is beautiful! There are plenty of houses for sale right now, so may have to get ahold of a realtor and see if any are rentable, or they'll have listings for apts. Am sure you'll get a job once you relocate. I have family there. If you do relocate, IM me.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
Yeah, I think if I got the job,. I'd definately like Ord.

The ONLY downside is the internet/phone/cable tv is a little expensive out there.
But with the cheaper rents than you are used to that should more than offset the increase in telecomunication costs. Again, hope to see you in Nebraska. Good Luck.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnUSA View Post
Ord is great for seclusion and the countryside is beautiful! There are plenty of houses for sale right now, so may have to get ahold of a realtor and see if any are rentable, or they'll have listings for apts. Am sure you'll get a job once you relocate. I have family there. If you do relocate, IM me.
Dawn:

I would never relocate before I got a job. Hence why I applied for one in Ord and am waiting to hear about it. Who knows, they might not want to hire someone whos not local.. or they might not be able to find anyone local so I could stand a chance.

I wouldn't be buying a house at all, just renting ... and would settle for an apartment just as quickly as I'd rent a house, I have no real preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska