U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 108,762 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We made the move from Wichita, KS to Papillion, NE this past month and we are loving it. There is so much more do here than in Kansas. The people are 100% more polite and personalble as well.

Now we are wanting to find someplaces that we can take our younger childern to that won't involve lots of money during the summer time. My wife and I grew up swimming at the lake, public lakes mostly, and would like to see if there are any areas that we can swim and have fun with our little ones. I am not a big fan of the water parks since they are overpriced and usually very crowded.

Also we are looking to find public parks/playgrounds near or in Papillion that are fun for the family. We have seen many nice looking parks in Omaha, unfortunately there were also many old wierd men sitting in cars and on the benchs in most of the. Also lots of gang bangers sitting in the parking lots as well. It is a shame the area is so beautiful and these people make it look so unsafe. Any parks that you would recommend??

Thanks,
Moz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,520,118 times
Welcome... for that small town feel, be sure to go down to Papillion Days tonight, walk around, eat, listen to the free music, and watch the fireworks after dark. tomorrow be sure to return and watch the parade down 84th, eat more, listen to more music, see vendors, support local groups, tractor pull that night, more music. Sunday morning grab some pancakes at the morning feed. Great part of small town America and Papillion does it up right - starting tonight.
Schedule of events (http://www.egovlink.com/public_documents300/papillion/published_documents/Papillion%20Community%20Foundation/Documents/Schedule%20of%20events%20brochure%202008%20updated %206-12-08.pdf - broken link) 6/12-6/15

Off the commercial for the town I love and onto your question:

State Parks are a great starting point as you get to learn the area. One pass is good for all the parks for the entire calendar year. Some have lots to do and others are primative. Some have commerical swimming pools and some lake swimming (some both). Here are a few of the closest with links to a summary description.

Mahoney
Two Rivers
Schram Park
Louisville
Platte River
Arbor Lodge
Memphis
StageCoach
Fremont Lakes
and others... take a look at this map... and this one.

Stop by the Sarpy Tourism office at the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall just off I-80 Gretna exit - they'll have tons of information.

If the kids just want to just fish, head down to either Halleck Park (behind the Jr High and Dairy Queen) if they are smaller kids (the pond is stocked) or over to Walnut Creek just southwest of Highway 370 and 96th St. Both are City parks so no fees to get in. Park directory

Old 06-14-2008, 01:50 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,810,589 times
Default ..

Wow, good job Dave! There are many other lakes, but Dave really nailed the notable ones..

Old 06-14-2008, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 35,124 times
Would someone mind being more specific which places have lakes that allow for swimming? I am looking to do some more open water swims for training (with buddies of course) and am not interested in going to Lake Manawa. Thanks so much!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pttriathlete View Post
Would someone mind being more specific which places have lakes that allow for swimming? I am looking to do some more open water swims for training (with buddies of course) and am not interested in going to Lake Manawa. Thanks so much!
Check the links to each of the parks I mentioned... it takes you right to the state park website for that specific park and mentions they ammenities that specific park has including swimming if its available.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:19 PM

11 posts, read 108,762 times
Dave,

All I can say is WOW! That is exactly what we were looking for! And yes we did enjoy Papillion Days too. Ate all the good food, rode the rides and people watched two days in a row. What a great little town we have moved to.

The camping and swimming areas at the parks you mentioned look like wonderful places for us to take our kids. We appreciate your information and the warm welcome to the area!

Moz

Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMoving View Post
Dave,

All I can say is WOW! That is exactly what we were looking for! And yes we did enjoy Papillion Days too. Ate all the good food, rode the rides and people watched two days in a row. What a great little town we have moved to.

Moz
Be sure to go the the Amphitheatre tonight for a free concert starting at 7:30pm by the community band - they are good. The Amphitheatre is an outdoor sight by Walnut Creek park - not a better outdoor theatre in the region and accousitcs are great.

Go to Highway 370 (south side of town) and go west to 108th st and turn left (south)... you will go by the South High School on the left and the Buffalo farm on the right. Go about 1/2 mile south on 108th and you will see Sumtur Amphitheatre.

Bring lawn chairs.

At the concert I heard they will then give free tickets to a show on Wed at the high school stadium (right next to the Amphitheatre)... a traveling professional drum/buggle/marching group - apparently one of the top 2 or 3 in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or