Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 PM

189 posts, read 219,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
By the way, if Amy is keeping up with this, I would kill to find out what town we're talking about but in a private message. The town I'm talking about really is that small and I don't want to make the nice people there feel bad, if that makes sense.
Cole,
I don't know if Amy's keeping up with the thread either. She did privately email me, convinced me her Jewish friends were indeed slandered in that town. She didn't tell me what town, I asked, but understood why she didn't name the town, same as you haven't yet.
...R/E Alchoholics- I have not heard of that statistic before either about Cedar County. Can't speak for every town, but Laurel has only 2 bars left, neither is usually full. I have some relatives there that do drink alot, and some that never will, guess it balances out. But when I lived near there years ago, I drank so much, thought I was also an alchoholic. Boredom, stress relief, youth, name the excuse....
...I lived in Hartington for awhile also. At that time, it was still very clannish, about 3-4 families ran the town. But I did not get a negative opinion of the town.
...It would have been hard for me to stay in the town you speak of if my family were slandered also. Alas, it may be generations before hispanics are seen as Americans vs all 'illegals'. Don't feel bad about kids being asked if they speak Spanish, though. Bilingual in any 2 languages is a plus, and easier for kids.
... Reminds me when my daughter eloped. She called me with the 'bad news'(well, he's Mexican,Dad) So what ! He can't speak a word of Spanish, family has been in USA about 100 years. And is a military officer. He's American as I am, if not more. I have a European surname, he has a Spanish surname.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:25 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
Cole,
At that time, it was still very clannish, about 3-4 families ran the town.
Having lived all over the state, the above could be said of any number of communities. That's just a small town for you.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Having lived all over the state, the above could be said of any number of communities. That's just a small town for you.
In many states, as well.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
And when my son is called "illegal" by his classmates, I absolutely WILL take it personally. He can't even speak Spanish!

Just how old is your son and why are you so bothered by what his classmates say? Kids will pick on anyone who is a little bit different. It will stop if your son handles the situation correctly. If these other kids know they can get a reaction the teasing will continue. After a few days if they cannot get a reaction from him they will find another target. Just make sure your son doesn't become a part of the problem when the bullies find a "new" kid to pick on.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 PM

116 posts, read 340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
And when my son is called "illegal" by his classmates, I absolutely WILL take it personally. He can't even speak Spanish!

Just how old is your son and why are you so bothered by what his classmates say? Kids will pick on anyone who is a little bit different. It will stop if your son handles the situation correctly. If these other kids know they can get a reaction the teasing will continue. After a few days if they cannot get a reaction from him they will find another target. Just make sure your son doesn't become a part of the problem when the bullies find a "new" kid to pick on.
(insert eye roll) Try to keep up with the thread. Thanks for the parenting advice, Dr. Spock.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 PM

(insert eye roll) Try to keep up with the thread. Thanks for the parenting advice, Dr. Spock.

Anytime ColeSD. I will send you my bill.

GL2

Old 01-01-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Just how old is your son and why are you so bothered by what his classmates say
Because he is the child's father! No one likes to see their kid picked on!

Quote:
It will stop if your son handles the situation correctly.
Why should the burden be on the son? The teachers/staff at the school should have disciplined the other kids for their inappropriate behavior.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Why should the burden be on the son? The teachers/staff at the school should have disciplined the other kids for their inappropriate behavior.

IF the incident took place in front of a teacher yes, then the teacher should have handled the situation. However if you really want to make it tough for your kid to be accepted by his peers, get adults involved. Isn't part of growing up learning how to handle difficult situations?

GL2

Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

IF the incident took place in front of a teacher yes, then the teacher should have handled the situation. However if you really want to make it tough for your kid to be accepted by his peers, get adults involved. Isn't part of growing up learning how to handle difficult situations?

GL2
The teachers are the adults. Not every situation lends itself to being worked out among the kids. We're not talking about sharing toys here. Most of the bullying literature recommends getting adults involved. There have been many situations where a kid just puts up with it, and years, sometimes decades later, an adult says "if only I had known". Education is a process of teaching. I am presuming this is a fairly young kid we are talking about, too.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,118 times
I agree with PittNurse on the prior two posts. Parents, teachers, school administration need to be involved if a child is getting bullied, escpecially if it a racial slur. Why should the kid get ridiculed for something that he cannot change (his race)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska