U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times

Advertisements

We were in GI a few weeks ago and I liked it. We found a nice restaurant that was reasonably priced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,232 times
Ga. Peach,

Ann Coulter and Michael Savage. If that is your idea of political commentary then you need to pull your head out of the sand. That is not politics...that's nothing more than idiots trying to scare people into listening to them. They are disgusting...in the worst way. And before you go off on some sort of "liberal militant" rant...I'm a republican...but unfortunately for you I'm a free thinking one.

I also read books. Just looked at my library and see that I've read 12 books on Washington, 6 on Jefferson, 5 on Franklin, 4 on Lincoln, and about another 500 miscellaneous books. I also read a lot of Samuel Clements growing up. But you need to expose yourself to thoughts and ideas from other people and groups of people...you can't just read a book about the 1700's and then extrapolate that to 2008. I bet you're one to denounce the idea of islam and evolution...but have you ever read the Quran or the Origin of Species??

Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 AM

116 posts, read 306,367 times
And Grand Island is boring, IMHO.

Peach have you checked out Kearney? It's a pretty cool town.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 AM

17 posts, read 61,300 times
Greetings, all.
(Attempting to humor a depressing situation, here)
I know of a nice Jewish family in Cedar County selling their house if you're interested, Georgiapeach.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM

116 posts, read 306,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
All I know is that Grand Island and Hall County has a large concentration of Hispanics compared with almost any other county in the state. The ag industry employes a lot of people in Grand Island and surrounding towns like Lexington.

So what are the implications of this "concentration of Hispanics?" Is this a "negative?" Of course you don't mean to imply a large Hispanic population equals "bad" do you?

Last edited by ColeSD; 01-04-2008 at 02:17 AM.. Reason: added a sentence.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 AM

13 posts, read 29,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
We're from PA and traveled through NE on our way back from visiting Yellowstone. At Pioneer Village I was real nice and polite to the lady who I was trying to buy a Nebraska t-shirt from. She was really rude to me and I could never understand why. Now I think I do. After we got home we talked about the places we would want to visit again, on Nebraska the best rating we could come up with was neutral, nothing positive. We figured we probably wouldn't visit again.

I had the rather unfortunate experience of working at a McDonald's my first two years of college in Houston.

Was I always "Miss Perky Pants?" No. I was making very little money, smelled like French Fries, and was waiting on very hungry people who would argue with me about whether or not their coupons for a free apple pie had expired!

Perhaps the person waiting on you was in the same boat: selling TShirts to tourists to make her way through school, or maybe she had a bad day.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 AM

189 posts, read 158,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy99 View Post
Greetings, all.
(Attempting to humor a depressing situation, here)
I know of a nice Jewish family in Cedar County selling their house if you're interested, Georgiapeach.

Welcome back Amy99.
I thought some of those posts sounded like your description of Cedar County/ NE NEBR., wondered if you'd see the irony.
Bonus- its a little farther North than SW NE, maybe a little colder and more snow. Gee do you think anyone would notice a pickup rolling around with snow chains there?
...You never did say what your least favorite town is, but county instead, though.
..I really can't add any towns in Nebraska to the list yet. When I took the transfer to NE I very reluctantly moved to Omaha, knew little of it but dislike big cities. I have now found even a city the size of Omaha can be friendly and easy to live in.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:46 AM

13 posts, read 29,518 times
Default What a writer on vacation does in her spare time...

Is sign up for CityData forums!

I read a few of the threads from earlier on, but the last few pages really caught my eye, and I'll relate why.

I work for a media outlet out of Sioux City. I took a photog with me to a small town in Nebraska, did my interviews, blah blah blah, and was hit on by one of the residents. What can I say... I'm cute.

The guy who hit on me was an older gentleman, and he was just a total character and I found myself talking to him more and more. He had the faint smell of beer on his breath, and the smell of cigar and Old Spice on his jacket. He reminded me of my grandfather. And because of the beer, he probably would've hit on me even if I looked like his twin brother.

He was entertaining, interesting, and a great storyteller. Later in the conversation as my colleague was off shooting some footage, he very nonchalantly asked if the photographer was my boyfriend.

I said "no," and thought nothing of it, and was told how cheap it was to live in this town, and that it had a great school, blah blah blah. Basically trying to "lure" me there. Not in a bad way, mind you, but extolling the virtues of the town. It sounded like a somewhat practiced 'sales pitch,' but it's common for small towns to do that to get more residents as their populations decline.

I mentioned to my photographer, who was looking to buy a place and settle somewhere permanently, rather than rent in The Dunes that they had houses for sale there, and he said "cool," and walked away to shoot something else. Though I knew realistically that my colleague was a "city boy" and would never think of living in such a small community, I did it as a point of being polite and respectful to this gentleman, as in validating it was a great place to live, and I'll tell others the same, blah blah blah.

The older gentleman I was talking to suddenly had a change in affect. A few minutes later after some small talk about the possible ethanol plant in Elk Point SD and the rising price of gas and cottage cheese, he whispered very softly that the town probably wouldn't be very welcoming of my photographer friend because he happens to be an African American.

His exact words were "I don't think the Colored fella would get along here."

I don't know if this older gentleman was trying to relate his own ethnic biases, or if he was truly and politely telling me that my friend really wouldn't be welcome. My internal question about this seemingly rather nice man's intention bugs me to this day. And I also don't think his use of the word "Colored" had racist implications because of this man's age.

But he added later in the conversation this question: "You're not Jewish, are 'ya?" He then pointed to a house and said "There's a Jewish family..." and I suddenly became uncomfortable, and reached for my cell phone and told him I had a silent ring and needed to answer it. He looked at me incredulously, as I found out later there's really no cell service in this town because of the bluffs.

And this is why the latter part of this thread really caught my attention.

I'm going to play Janet Charlton and/or Michael Musto for a second here:
Pourquoi Non? If you speak a little French you'll figure it out. And yes, il est en Cedar. (Forgive me for probably totally butchering a beautiful language.)

Take the story for what it's worth, as it was my first and only time ever visiting this town, and it may have just been the drunken ramblings of a talkative, friendly, and amorous old man. Or, he could've been genuinely relating a cultural norm of the attitudes of this particular community. But I'll add that this is the only time someone actually verbalized something like this to me, and I'm trained to get information out of people for a living. In an era of "political correctness" even if someone had these biases, or just their neighbors, it would never be spoken of because of possible social ostracism, blah blah blah.

I'm choosing to believe this was a kind, caring, wonderful, grandfatherly man who was trying to get me to warn (and I'm hesitant to use the word "warn" because it may imply something that's not really there)my friend rather than the other choice. I'm also choosing to believe that the old man was Jewish himself and was looking for a nice Jewish girl, which sparked that second question.

I told the whole story to my colleague in the car on our way back to Sioux City. I simply asked "Is this town racist?" and he replied "Yes. Everybody knows that."

I don't by any means think it's the worst place in Nebraska because I was only there the one time, and it seemed rather charming, actually, and as much as I love South Sioux the property taxes are ridiculous (that's actually my only gripe about South Sioux), but since they are, it's my current "I hate this place" town, but I can certainly see why minorities wouldn't be accepted in the aforementioned town if what was told to me was really something other than the drunken ramblings of a talkative old amorous man.

Would I ever move to that town? No. Do I think it's the worst place in Nebraska? I don't think that either, but I'm also a cute white Catholic girl from East Texas. From the perspective of someone who has their kid made fun of for using a wheelchair or being Mexican, and all the other stuff I've read on this thread about Cedar, I can see why someone would label it as the worst place in Nebraska.

And in a strange way I really hope it is in fact the same town everyone is talking about because I'm an optimistic person and am hoping that this kind of bigotry (or what seems to be bigotry) really is limited to a very small geographical area.

There's so many nuances and such that go missing in a textual format rather than visual, so thanks for indulging a rather long post. I write, hence, I ramble. My English professors HATED me! lol

Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 AM

20,786 posts, read 35,818,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
So what are the implications of this "concentration of Hispanics?" Is this a "negative?" Of course you don't mean to imply a large Hispanic population equals "bad" do you?
I did not say it was bad. The demographics of Hall County are obviously much different than most counties in NE. One striking example is the large percentage of the population that is under age 18. In the rural Great Plains where the commercial agriculture industries are dominant you will see more hispanics. That is just a fact. I will reserve the discussion of illegal immigration concerning the rural Great Plains to the immigration sub-forum.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM

86,876 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxlandLoisLane View Post
I had the rather unfortunate experience of working at a McDonald's my first two years of college in Houston.

Was I always "Miss Perky Pants?" No. I was making very little money, smelled like French Fries, and was waiting on very hungry people who would argue with me about whether or not their coupons for a free apple pie had expired!

Perhaps the person waiting on you was in the same boat: selling TShirts to tourists to make her way through school, or maybe she had a bad day.
I'm sorry to break this to you, but there is no excuse for poor customer service, no matter how little money you are making, how tired you are, etc. That is something that was taught to me in Fundamentals of Nursing. I work in a dr's office, and a lot of our work is PR. A bad customer service experience can color your opinion of an entire business or town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or