Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 06:56 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,605 times

Advertisements

A hood boy from the streets of west Omaha no less... that's hilarious... he's seen some things? I can see them all hanging out at the strip mall now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM

29 posts, read 131,618 times
Well, I haven't visited this site for awhile, but the thread sure has wound around many different subjects since I was last here. First I must say, I have many Hispanic friends that I wouldn't trade for all the world. And I wish I could learn spanish, but it has been to no avail.

I also have a Jewish friend that is one of my dearest friends. And I was quite surprised that his parents went to Omaha so they may worship. And he really isn't - for lack of a better word - a practicing Jew. But one way or the other, he is still very special to me.

I also have some very nice friends of "color" . And I asked one of my black friends what they prefered to be called, as I didn't want to offend them. They said they preferred to be called by their name!! How wonderful.

I also have some white aquaintances, that I try to run the other way before they see me. And yes, I am white.

My point here is - there is good and bad in every race. It isn't the race that makes them good or bad - it is the person inside!! Please tell me why we can't call everyone by their name, and not by color, race, or creed??

And I can't help but wonder what the Native American Indians think of all you??? You are all worried about who you let into our country? I wonder if they were calling us illegal aliens, and saying - I don't care if they come, but they should do it legally. Or did they say - There goes the neighborhood?? As the old saying goes - Why can't we all just get along.

Then you worry about who is and who isn't christian. Well, this makes me laugh, as it was some good christain group who brought over a bunch of Sudanese, and yet no one has complained of the Sudanese??? If you are going to hate different races - shouldn't you hate equally??

Maybe this is why the bullying is going on. They have to learn it somewhere. Maybe they have all heard how their parents put down any one who is different from them. Whether it be color, a handicap, or obesity, or just plain poor!! All I can say is - they had to learn it from someone.

I grew up in the country. And we mostly played outside all day, or were in school. And we only watched tv in the evening on the one channel black and white tv! We had chores to do on the ranch, there wasn't an Arby's or McDonalds even existed in our world. And we were to poor to eat at any restaurant. And as I have said so many times before, west of Valentine - the cows outnumber the people. And a steak from a corn fed heifer was way better than a McD's anyway!!

I don't know what all of this ... basically hate group talk ... has got to do with where is the best or worst place to live. I am with the one lady that said if you didn't like where you lived, why not try to do something to improve it - instead of trying to find some place called Utopia, that really doesn't exist, at least not until I go to meet my maker.

Well, I have had my say, and you can all chew on it for awhile and let me know what you think. But I don't check this very often, so don't expect any quick answers.

Have a good day, pardners! And let's all play nice in the meantime. Okay?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,474 times
City-Data Forum > What Is The Worst Town In Nebraska? (Omaha, Lincoln: homes, rent)

If we want to discuss race, religion, food service, or anything else..how about we move forums?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 PM

116 posts, read 340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepOnTopic---WORST TOWN View Post
City-Data Forum > What Is The Worst Town In Nebraska? (Omaha, Lincoln: homes, rent)

If we want to discuss race, religion, food service, or anything else..how about we move forums?
Thanks, I'm sure we all appreciate it.
How should we then define the worst town, and how should we relate our bad experiences? The very first post on this thread was specifically about food service.

Which bad experiences should we be allowed to talk about? My experience WAS about race. Should I say "The town was great in every way" and pretend it didn't happen?

We're talking about personal experiences, more painful for some of us than others. There are real people behind these screens, and some of us have gotten to know each other.

You're a person with a brand new account who I'm sensing hasn't read all the posts who decided just to abruptly give us a finger waving with a sanctimonious tone.

Furthermore: you didn't contribute. You didn't talk about a personal experience. You merely bitched at us. If you don't like this thread: DON'T READ IT.

And nothing you say from now on will elicit a response from many of us just because of the tone. I certainly won't.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,474 times
Default Actually

I did slog through all 38 pages of this topic. It went from what it was supposed to be, to people arguing about whether or not a food server should always be polite, to people discussing race issues. When I read the title I figured people would give their opinion on the worst town and why. And THEN a brief discussion from other people about that TOWN, not about the issue in general that occurs all over the world. Let's talk about the experience...not about the who argument in general. Do we really need pages about kids being bullied at school? That happens in EVERY school, and isn't town specific...and I don't think debating whether the kid or the parents should take charge is what this forum is designed for. I've been reading the city-data forums for a long time just never registered until I found this one about my home state had gone so far off topic.
I'm not being facetious....I'm just trying to read a forum about a topic.

As far as I'm concerned the worst town in Nebraska doesn't exist. I've been all over the state (originally from York), and each town has it's own perks. But compared to the rest of the country (I now live in florida, but have lived in CA as well as NY) any nebraska town is heaven.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:41 PM

30 posts, read 131,848 times
Boy, I wonder what would happen if they started a thread like this in CA! That's a scary thought! Or maybe even AZ.... I see some interesting threads on their too... and they get a little nasty regarding where to buy property!!!!! Hey, everyone has the right to their own opinoins, I suppose!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,253 times
Angry Ogallala gets my vote

Through a series of misadventures which began with 9/11, I now find myself
stranded in Ogallala, Nebraska. As the local folklore has it, I am not the first
wayfarer to be imprisoned here, unable to make enough money to escape.

After nearly a year in this miserable, godforsaken splotch of ignorant rednecks,
I am seriously considering throwing myself under the next express train.

I love opera, ballet, classical music, theater and the fine arts in general. And,
no, you dumb farmers, I'm not gay. I'm educated, cultured, sophisticated, and
hate the fact that there is no one here with whom I can share the joy I knew
at seeing Barishnikov dance. Only a few miles from here a young man was
tied to a barbed-wire fence and beaten to death for holding unpopular opinions.
I recently asked a co-worker (I work in a factory, since this town has no need of
a senior engineer) if he thought Obama would win the nomination, and he replied
"O-what-a?"

I've lived abroad. I even spent four years in a third-world country. But I've
never even been in a place where people are so hell-bent on ignoring the world
at large. Mention Iraq, and you get "Well, I dunno 'bout that'. Mention Bush and
lay down the facts about his lies, and you get "Well, he's the President". If you
can't talk bass fishing, high school sports or who died yesterday, you can't
carry on a conversation in this hellhole that goes by the name of Ogallala.

Fortunately this town (like the entire state) is dying. The downturn in the
economy (thank you George and his rich banker buddies) will sound the death knell for many stilted, unprepared, head-in-the-sand rural communities. When ethanol becomes an evil rather than a godsend, these whining farmers who claim they can't live on twenty times the net income I make will get their comeuppance,
and Nebraska will become the Dust Bowl it so richly deserves to be.

The state legislature is busy making laws to keep young people in the state, to
prevent the "brain drain". Well, guys, all I can say is that anybody with a
three-digit IQ, an ounce of gumption and five dollars has already left this "land
of losers" and the rest of us are saving up.

There's a beautiful, fascinating, mind-bending world out there, and I'm gonna
get back to it (or catch the next Union Pacific express, face-first), 'cause I can't
live here. Living here isn't living. It's just hiding. It's ignorance. It's stupidity.
It's cowardice. It's like living with Neanderthals cowering in a cave.

I've been around the world, and Ogallala is the worst place I've ever been.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM

189 posts, read 219,382 times
Somebody had a bad day.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Huh...
I like goin' ta Ogallala 'cause it's the big city, dontcha know!
And ballet? Why that's that funny dancin' in tights that ya see on PBS sometimes, ain't it?

Us'n here in the "land of losers" are pretty prouda are 2 digit IQs. Gotta have some waya makin' the newcomers feel superior. Why, it's a wonder we can even turn our computers on!!

What a goober. lol

Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
Man this thread never goes away, it comes back every week. We must be some horrible state Thats fine because aparently everyone is going to be happy if we become a dust bowl and the state dies. We are after all a splotch of ignorant rednecks, dumb farmers, low IQ, and neanderthals.

I hope your post was out of frustration and not your personal attitude. Best of luck getting out of here, Nebraska isn't for everyone and is no utopia, but the name calling and Nebraska bashing makes you no different than the person who called you gay for liking ballet and opera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska