U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,376,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Many people in Lincoln and Omaha don't even acknowledge the rest of Nebraska. And that's OK with most of us outside of Lincoln and Omaha.

Your math is a little off, there would be about 630,000 without the Lincoln and Omaha metro areas (State: 1.7 M, Omaha metro: 829K, Lincoln 241K, 2006 estimates, rounded for simplicity).

Again, where is the problem? That's why I choose to live here!
My grandparents live on a farm near Plainview, NE, (Pierce County, north of Norfolk) and I love it up there, its so peaceful, quiet, and secluded. My grandparents say with the way things are going with the American Economy we may need that farm one day to grow our own food, though I wouldn't entirely mind, its so beautiful up there, I actually prefer it to Omaha at times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 PM

212 posts, read 874,174 times
I am from Lincoln, Nebraska. There isn't really much to see outside of Lincoln and the Omaha-Papillion area. We have a joke here in Nebraska that there are more cows than people. I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,161,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
I am from Lincoln, Nebraska. There isn't really much to see outside of Lincoln and the Omaha-Papillion area.
That's the craziest statement I have heard on this forum (and I'm the Papillion advocate)... if metro folks would get outside of Lincoln/Omaha and see what the rest of this state has to offer they would be suprised. This entire state from far west to central to east has so much to experience. We've taken week long vacations and not even left the state, but put on tons of miles venturing to all the things to see and do.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,984,281 times
Quote:
I am from Lincoln, Nebraska. There isn't really much to see outside of Lincoln and the Omaha-Papillion area. We have a joke here in Nebraska that there are more cows than people. I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
There are more cows than people. Five to one, or something along those lines...
And speaking as one who lives on a large ranch, there's something to be said for the superiority of the company of bovines vs. humans.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,376,039 times
Quote:
I am from Lincoln, Nebraska. There isn't really much to see outside of Lincoln and the Omaha-Papillion area.
Are you kidding me? Like I said before, I love my grandparents farm, sometimes even more than Omaha because its so peaceful. Its also really beautiful out there, much better than concrete, glass and brick.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 PM

212 posts, read 874,174 times
I have only been to these cities in Nebraska: Lincoln, Omaha, Papillion, Beatrice, Wymore, and maybe some others that I don't even remember. I'm not saying that Nebraska is boring, it's just that I like big cities with people everywhere, and that would be Lincoln.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM

4,178 posts, read 10,352,407 times
That is so sweet. (No I'm not being sarcastic. It really is sweet.) Ah jist want to hug your neck for that!
"Big cities". Nebraska. Somehow those two identifiers are oxymorons to me!
Big cities are, to me - Las Vegas, New York, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas/Fort Worth, Washington, DC - even Seattle, Albuquerque, and New Orleans. There aren't any big cities in Nebraska, any more than there are any in SC. Sorry, alligatorboy.

I like living in a place where there are more cows than people. At least if a cow disappoints you, rips you off, lies to you, or attacks you, you can cut her up and serve her for dinner, and no one thinks it odd. A cow will never try to sell you drugs or get you busted for DUI just because you needed a ride home. And a cow will never say to you, "I'm bored. Let's go tip some humans." TIC

Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,063,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
That is so sweet. (No I'm not being sarcastic. It really is sweet.) Ah jist want to hug your neck for that!
"Big cities". Nebraska. Somehow those two identifiers are oxymorons to me!
Big cities are, to me - Las Vegas, New York, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas/Fort Worth, Washington, DC - even Seattle, Albuquerque, and New Orleans. There aren't any big cities in Nebraska, any more than there are any in SC. Sorry, alligatorboy.

I like living in a place where there are more cows than people. At least if a cow disappoints you, rips you off, lies to you, or attacks you, you can cut her up and serve her for dinner, and no one thinks it odd. A cow will never try to sell you drugs or get you busted for DUI just because you needed a ride home. And a cow will never say to you, "I'm bored. Let's go tip some humans." TIC
I understand what you are saying SCGranny, but Omaha and Albuquerque are almost exact in size, and with Lincoln very nearby and as stated to be soon represented as part of the Omaha metro definition, Omaha/Lincoln - council Bluffs will be about the same size as Oklahoma City and just a bit smaller than New Orleans...

Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM

90,351 posts, read 115,785,881 times
Ya, Omaha is a big city in many ways. DH grew up there and the stories he tells are of a very urban lifestyle, even in the 50s and 60s when Omaha was smaller. Taking the bus downtown, the big downtown stores (his Mom worked at the old Brandeis in downtown), museums, theaters, the zoo, all that stuff makes it a city.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:37 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,876,689 times
Alligatorboy,

I recognize you like the city life and that's great. However, from an outdoor and nature perspective pretty much everything there is to see is OUTSIDE of Lincoln and Omaha. Don't get me wrong, I lived in Lincoln for 10 years and now live in Omaha. However, nearly all of the interesting natural sights to see are in "outstate" Nebraska. Just to name a few, have you ever been to Scottsbluff National Monument, Lake Mac, Fort Robinson, Chadron State Park, the Niobrara River Valley or the Sandhills? In fact, Fort Robinson and Chadron State Park were both named as some of the top state parks in the United States.

Yes, Omaha is metropolitan area and has the things normally associated to city life, but that hardly means all the things to see only reside there. That's like saying the only interesting things to see in Arizona are in Phoenix or the only interesting things to see in Alaska are in Anchorage...kind of silly really.

The fact that you've only been to 5 towns in Nebraska pretty clearly tells me you haven't experienced any of Nebraska. Also,the Omaha metro is over 3 times the size of Lincoln, so to put Lincoln in the same category as Omaha in terms of "people running around" is a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska