U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2007, 08:30 PM

69,179 posts, read 58,353,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
I always seem to get the respect that I give others-live and (hopefully) learn.
Oh, give me a break! I was talking about poor service in a restaurant. Restaurants are supposed to treat their customers politely. All we did was (gasp!) ask for a table. We were told they couldn't do that right now, seems someone was on break or something. We left.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 AM

482 posts, read 1,618,141 times
pittnurse70, I know the feeling as this has happened to myself and family as well. They had an area that was closed off and empty and they had people waiting for a table. I was wondering why so I asked and was told that they had three people who did not show up for work and they did not have enough people so that they could wait on the people properly like the manager wanted. We waited for a table for about 15 minutes. When we were seated we were given very good treatment, plus they gave us some cake, pie or ice cream for our understanding and waiting. I have also been given terrible service by the waiter. The individual did not get a tip for the terrible service either. I had one waitress bring me a hamburger with french fries she dumped the french fries onto the table, said that she was sorry and picked up the fries, then put them back on my plate. When we were leaving my wife asked if I was going to leave a tip I told her that the tip for the waitress was to find a new job, but I did not say this to the waitress, I just left bidding them all a good day. Yes I did go back maybe to see if this was just a one time accident or not. The waitress was no longer working there and the service was much better.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:41 PM

I think everyone has had poor service in a restaurant at least once or twice. When it happens while on the road, so to speak, it gives you a bad opinion of the whole town. I do think restaurants should give these young adults who are the primary workers in them a little PR training. Some of these employees say things to customers that we were taught never to say to patients in nursing school, such as "I'm tired", "we're short staffed today", etc.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,736,563 times
Default Oh please!

The idea that a few bad experiences by individuals in a small town does not mean all of the small towns in Nebraska are rude! In fact, Nebraskans are renowned for their politeness! I don't really care about what you think of their service and standards in restaurants. These are tiny towns, often less than 500 people, and their standards can't possibly be compared to a major city. Of course they don't have the selection or 5 star catering service that you would find at an upscale establishment. You also might think twice about labeling these "service" jobs as their primary jobs in these towns. They are not. These jobs are being worked by highschool students or people with very little education. The jobs in rural areas are not centered around the service industry. They are centered around the ag industry. They don't expect tips and they probably charged about $5/person for your food. Its a different lifestyle and an entirely different set of expectations. Adjust those expectations and pay attention to how many people do truly polite things (like holding the door, saying hello, and generally being pleasant) and you'll be impressed. The waiters at a restaurant in a city are being polite to earn a tip...they could care less about you.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
[mattpoulsen;485890]The idea that a few bad experiences by individuals in a small town does not mean all of the small towns in Nebraska are rude! In fact, Nebraskans are renowned for their politeness!
I don't really care about what you think of their service and standards in restaurants.
Well la-de-da to you to! So much for "renowned politeness".

Quote:
These are tiny towns, often less than 500 people, and their standards can't possibly be compared to a major city. Of course they don't have the selection or 5 star catering service that you would find at an upscale establishment. You also might think twice about labeling these "service" jobs as their primary jobs in these towns. They are not. These jobs are being worked by highschool students or people with very little education.
So what? They are still supposed to give good customer service.

Quote:
They don't expect tips and they probably charged about $5/person for your food.
Wrong on both counts for any sit-down restuarant I've ever been to, in Nebraska or any other state.

Quote:
Its a different lifestyle and an entirely different set of expectations. Adjust those expectations and pay attention to how many people do truly polite things (like holding the door, saying hello, and generally being pleasant) and you'll be impressed. The waiters at a restaurant in a city are being polite to earn a tip...they could care less about you.
Apparently, you did not read my original post, nor the one you are railing at me about, very carefully. I did not say all small towns in Nebraska are rude. I was talking about Ogallala, not some town of 500 people. I don't know many towns of 500 people that have restaurants. Ogalalla is a tourist town! And I stand by what I said about giving good customer service. That is their job!

Last edited by Katiana; 03-22-2007 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Fix quotes

Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,136,476 times
I am here to defend the town of Ogallala, when we were on our way to Colorado for our vacation, our van broke down. I never seen so many nice people go out of their way to make us feel right at home.
We had to stay at a motel until they were able to get our van fixed, the motel staff was very polite, and went beyond making us feel welcomed. The restaurant across the street, they had two and we ate at both, had very good service, and we talked with the servers, they also were very polite and felt bad for us.
The service we got when getting our van fixed was better then any service we have gotten at where we live. I would say Ogallala is a very nice town with great people. I think either you or some one else was caught off guard, and not all days are good for anyone. We love Ogallala, and plan on stopping in when we head west in June. I hope you have better luck next time, I think they deserve another chance. Yorkie

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 03-22-2007 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: turned around letters

Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
[COLOR="IndigoI would say Ogallala is a very nice town with great people. I think either you or some one else was caught off guard, and not all days are good for anyone. We love Ogallala, and plan on stopping in when we head west in June. I hope you have better luck next time, I think they deserve another chance. Yorkie[/b][/color]
We drive regularly from Omaha to our home in Louisville and have to go through Ogaalla. We have stopped there again. It's just as I said yesterday, bad experiences give you a bad impression about the place, no matter what.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,736,563 times
Default Pittnurse

Pittnurse,

I was kind of responding to the whole thread. The initial post was referencing an experience in Laurel, NE, which is a small town. And even though Ogalala is a town over 500 people it is still a small town on national standards. It most definitely has a small town feel. I also promise you that the Ogalala economy is not sustained by the tourism industry. They are blue collar people who don't get too worked up about nuance and restaurant protocol. I agree that they should give good service, but if they don't then just don't leave a tip. Everytime I get bad service in Denver, Minneapolis, or Washington D.C. I don't assume that everyone in that city is rude. My point is the reason you may think those in Ogalala are being rude is that your expectations are defined by your experiences with those in the service industry in larger towns. But again, someone at "Spago" is being uber polite because they are waiting for the $20 tip. Now, if you're broken down on the side of the road I promise you'd rather have someone from a small Nebraska town drive by you!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:02 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,943,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
What is the worst town in Nebraska you have ever been too? and Why?

For me it has to be.....Laurel, Ne.

Why? We could not find a cafe' that was open at 1:30 p.m.. the truck stop was open, but who wants to eat there.
We ended up at the Pizza Ranch. that was a waiste of money. We had the buffet Which was old food that was there for a while. We asked if they could make some fresh pizza they said yes they would, but it took 45 minutes.

Also the poeple in town were very rude and unhelpful. Next time we are through that way we will just drive on by and stop at Hartington,Ne.

What are some of your worst towns you have been through?
I don't know if it's any different know, but North Bend, NE used to have the worst of the druggies and dealers from fremont move there... I might be wrong on that town, but I really haven't met any decent people from there..

Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
QUOTE=mattpoulsen;487194]Pittnurse, was kind of responding to the whole thread. The initial post was referencing an experience in Laurel, NE, which is a small town. And even though Ogalala is a town over 500 people it is still a small town on national standards. It most definitely has a small town feel. I also promise you that the Ogalala economy is not sustained by the tourism industry. They are blue collar people who don't get too worked up about nuance and restaurant protocol. I agree that they should give good service, but if they don't then just don't leave a tip. Everytime I get bad service in Denver, Minneapolis, or Washington D.C. I don't assume that everyone in that city is rude. My point is the reason you may think those in Ogalala are being rude is that your expectations are defined by your experiences with those in the service industry in larger towns. But again, someone at "Spago" is being uber polite because they are waiting for the $20 tip.
Quote:
Now, if you're broken down on the side of the road I promise you'd rather have someone from a small Nebraska town drive by you!
Than who?

My expectation is defined by this: if someone takes a job in a restaurant, be it in Ogallala or NYC, they are supposed to give the best service they can. They are supposed to talk politely to the customers. If the restaurant is open, they are supposed to seat you in a reasonable length of time, not tell you the hostess is on break and you can just wait. It doesn't matter whether it is a blue collar town or whatever. I grew up in a steel mill town in Pennsylvania, believe me, I know what a blue collar town is. Do I expect decent, polite service in the restaurants in my hometown? Yes, just as I expect it here in this little suburb where I live now, in downtown Denver OR ANYWHERE ELSE inclucing Ogallala. The people in Ogallala, Beaver Falls, PA or wherever should get worked up about restaurant protocol if they are working in a restaurant. I'm not referring to someone offering me their arm, pulling out a chair for me, pouring my drinks a certain way. I am referring to speaking politely to the customer and providing the service they are in business to provide: a meal for which I am paying.

Perhaps Ogallala is not just a tourist town, but a restaurant just off the interstate is in the tourist business. Gas is usually more expensive in Ogallala than anywhere else else in Nebraska, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska