U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 AM

696 posts, read 1,495,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagrammy View Post
the absolu te worst place to live in nebraska is MADISON NE. With it's crooked cops and stupid city council it is the worst place to live in nebraska. City council men violating city ordnances and cops given a do not touch list. then the 2 good officers and most educated more then the chief of police being put on a leash. THIS TOWN HAS NOTHING TO OFFER ANYONE BUT FRUSTRATION.
This is SOP for any small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,641 times
Hi there all I am relocating to NE next year. Can anyone tell me about Table Rock by any chance and The job market from experience in Lincoln? To any one with teenagers how are the schools in Lincoln? We currently live in Denver Colorado which is an ever growing city. We are moving to settle down and retire and Nebraska to us is a " Well kept secret". Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,399 times
I grew up in a small town in SE South Dakota, right on the NE boarder, so I hope I'm not out of line in talking about this.

My father was a highly intelligent and educated man, and received nothing but respect. I think this is because he was very hard-working and never, ever, talked down to anyone.

I believe that a big issue is the fact that small towns and their people are being pushed out. They want to preserve their way of life, but with manufacturing going overseas (remember the company towns?) and farms being replaced by agribusiness they are aware of it. So I'm not surprised at seeing some defensiveness (I would not call it rudeness) toward people from the cities. You will find if you get off the Interstate that most of the people have hearts of gold and a lot of the food is very, very good if you are a meat and potatoes man like I am. The best steak I ever had in my life was in a tiny place called Tea, South Dakota. They knew how to raise beef!

After years in the big city (I am retired), I would love to live in a small town again, but I fear that it would not be nearly the same, with poverty growing and the young people moving out. Recall that most of this country was rural even fifty years ago. It is a terrible shame to watch the decline as--excuse me--the federal government continues to encroach on our lives.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,828,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxt View Post
I grew up in a small town in SE South Dakota, right on the NE boarder, so I hope I'm not out of line in talking about this.

My father was a highly intelligent and educated man, and received nothing but respect. I think this is because he was very hard-working and never, ever, talked down to anyone.

I believe that a big issue is the fact that small towns and their people are being pushed out. They want to preserve their way of life, but with manufacturing going overseas (remember the company towns?) and farms being replaced by agribusiness they are aware of it. So I'm not surprised at seeing some defensiveness (I would not call it rudeness) toward people from the cities. You will find if you get off the Interstate that most of the people have hearts of gold and a lot of the food is very, very good if you are a meat and potatoes man like I am. The best steak I ever had in my life was in a tiny place called Tea, South Dakota. They knew how to raise beef!

After years in the big city (I am retired), I would love to live in a small town again, but I fear that it would not be nearly the same, with poverty growing and the young people moving out. Recall that most of this country was rural even fifty years ago. It is a terrible shame to watch the decline as--excuse me--the federal government continues to encroach on our lives.
Tea, SD is actually a suburb of Sioux Falls now

Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM

79 posts, read 180,348 times
Worst? Easy answer= BASSETT

Pedophiles, druggies big time, drunken cowboys who will get your daughter or wife drunk and then date rape them and think it's funny. Those who are "decent" folks bury their heads in the sand and won't face the scum that rule their little town. In a town the size of Bassett there is the chance for the populous to stop this from happening but the complicity menatality there ignores all this disgusting happenings.

If I believed that retribution was my right, I'd knock off half this town for some of the things they have done and smile about it.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM

76 posts, read 197,895 times
I live in Exeter, Nebraska and it is wonderful! We have two great bars/restaurants that are run by couples who can cook anything! And, they make super cocktails for reasonable prices. Exeter boasts a well stocked grocery store with a deli/catering service. We have a bank, lumberyard, post office, car dealership (the only one in Fillmore County....Erdkamp Motors), two heating and plumbing businesses, an attorney, an chiropracter, a massage therapy office (opened two days a week), Horizontal Boring (which employs over 200 people and works all over the U.S.), three well attended churches (the Catholic Church is a registered Historic Site and has been newly refurbished...just gorgeous!.... and the Congregational is newly built), a huge Coop with towering grain elevators newly built.... etc..etc....oh, and of course, a Casey's!

It's a little "slice of heaven" and I am so glad I don't have to face the hustle and bustle of city life anymore!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,573 times
Default Why are you so haughty & arrogant? This is NEBRASKA.

We've lived here for about 4 years and although we continue to keep a partially open mind about the state, Lincoln is no question a bit peculiar and haughty. This is a matter of our perspective, but so far, from our experiences being outspoken and optimistic people, the residents here are way too reserved to have any kind of openness about them. Add stubborn to the equation and you have the makings of perpetual ignorance. Contrary to what some say about Nebraskans being "real" and "not pretentious", this is a town that strictly adheres to the status quo & if you are even the slightest bit out of the ordinary, you will have the choice of either remaining who you are versus conforming to the dumbed-down, robot-like character that's so prevalent here and dealing with the cognitive dissonance if you're truly your own person with your own thoughts. I would like to think the rest of the state has people that don't play shady, passive-aggressive gossip games like the cowards in Lincoln. We can't wait to get somewhere more down-home and less pretentious.

Last edited by JC Denton; 11-01-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 27 days ago)

12,313 posts, read 7,458,312 times
For the record, I lived in Nebraska for just about a year, over the winter of 2000-2001 (a mild one): my home base was Omaha, but for several months, I held down a courier route that took me to Norfolk and back every business day.

Other than the occasional "town grump", I encountered very little hostility or stand-offishness. And of the smaller communities I saw on a regular basis, I remember Oakland, the "little Swedish village" as the friendliest.

BTW, I am a graduate of Penn State .... was very favorably impressed with the way Nebraska had developed its own program, and was delighted to see the Huskers join the Big Ten. As for PSU's current troubles, there is more going on here than meets the eye.

Are Pennsylvanians embarrassed about Penn State now?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM

736 posts, read 1,663,742 times
Laurel,NE Still is #1 worst town.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk........Man.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,032,134 times
I've heard that Hazard, NE has it out for Richard Marx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or