Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 AM

46 posts, read 137,530 times

Advertisements

Thanks Alot for info SC Granny. It ismuch appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have seen several snakes since moving here to Cody in the Sandhills last year. A bull snake in a ditch outside of town, a rattler (abt two feet long) that a delivery guy pulled up in his vehicle and showed off, that he'd killed not far away on the road, and two days ago a 6-foot king snake that was half-in, half-out, of my water trough getting a drink.

I've heard stories about rattlesnake dens on ranches that are close to the river, where the families go out every spring and try to slaughter them all. They never seem to be able to. There are a lot of 'snake stories' here. But my property is pretty high and dry, with no water access other than underground and here on the edge of town. We keep things clipped and clean around the house; the water trough sits under the fence from the corral into the pasture and draws all sorts of critters from the pasture; deer, raccoons, birds, turkeys, etc, so a snake is not surprising. Having lived in SC, where all but two of the poisonous snakes in North America live, there is a dearth of snakes here, in my opinion! I used to turn up stepping stones and find copperhead nests, water moccasins were in all of the waterways and would hang out in the trees and drop into your boat, and I had slain more than one rattler in my own yard there. My cats used to bring me baby rattlers and copperheads when they were finished playing wiith them. So here - hmm, not so scary. At least rattlers warn you.

As for health care, they are very fast and efficient as well as proficient, and very inexpensive by comparison to the South or Northeast. They also treat you like a patient, not an income or a bother, which is really nice. While the ambulance might take awhile to get to you, there are EMTs all over the Sandhills who will come in their cars to stabilize you until the ambulance comes.

I don't understand about the 'not fitting in' - to me that is totally subjective. Yesterday was our town festival, and I not only announced the parade but worked hard with volunteers that I was asked to recruit to put on the barbeque. I have helped out with the HS drama club and get involved in fascinating conversations with folks from all walks of life. The thing is that we didn't move here to be social or to make friends, assuming it would just be one big retirement community - we came here and respected that most people have their own jobs and lives, and like us want to be left alone to enjoy them. But when we need each other we can depend on each other, and that is wonderful.

So when you move, give a holler! Gordon isn't that far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 17,129 times
Fried snake with rice is nutritious.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,470 times
I lived in Garden County and never recall seeing snakes in town. I did see them somewhat regular during the summer when they would sun themselves on the roads. No, I never tried to run them over either. Mostly they were gopher, bull and rattle snakes. There was one time when hiking a dry wash in the canyons south of town where I pretty much jumped four feet back and almost out of my boots when I stumbled upon a rattler all coiled up and ready to strike. As I jumped back I looked down as he/she struck at my shin and was within an inch or so of making contact as it's body was fully extended. Fortunately I was a hair quicker as the adrenalin got going through me pretty quick.

As far as health care goes I'm of the opinion that more people die while under the care doctors and would be better off left alone. I think if your rugged enough to live in Alaska, Nebraska should be a cake walk. Don't let the fear mongers steal your dream and make you dependent on a health care system that will only rob you of your health and retirement income faster than you can thank them for doing so. Trust your gut, eat simply and don't over indulge, stay away from the stress inducing cities and you will likely outlive most the city dwellers anyway. When your time comes at least you will go knowing you have lived your last years with a clear mind and hopefully a functional body not drugged up on toxic medicines that only mask the symptoms and don't get at the cause.

Fred and Granny have already outlined the particulars if emergency care is needed. No offense to doctors....they are just cogs in the wheel of a broken system that exist primarily for the benefit of the pharmaceutical companies. Sorry if that offends anyone. Many doctors and nurses are well aware of how this works. I have two nurses in my family and good health has been an interest of mine for 30 plus years. I have read dozens of books on health and medicine so what I have to say is not just opinion or the first words off the top of my head.

The mind is more powerful than most people think. So if you believe that you have to live near the best (and high cost too) hospitals then that kind of fearful thinking will program your subconscious mind to make that a reality. If you believe that you are in control of your own health and welfare then you will program your subconscious mind to make that a reality. The reason for this is because your subconscious mind is like a blank tape that just records what you put into it and plays it back later when certain thoughts trigger it. If you thinking you might die of a heart attack because you have shortness of breath and your so far out in the sticks in the middle of winter and there is no way to get to a hospital quickly....then one day it may just happen because that's your program.

Plant yourself a little garden, enjoy the fresh air, blue skies, the song of the meadowlarks, and the sound of wind blowing through the tall-grass when you have a chance and it will do more for your health than being close to any big city hospital can do...and that's no lie. One more caution...don't over indulge in too much of that tasty grass fed beef they raise up there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska