U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 AM

14,735 posts, read 31,167,632 times

Advertisements

Anybody here live near Hemingford? I was watching an old 80's classic 'Children of the Corn II' and saw that it was filmed there . It looked like a really small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,162 times
The original Children of the Corn was also filmed at Hemingford. It is indeed a small town. (Though certainly not as small as many)
My husband lived on a ranch near there for about 8 years when he was younger...

Erin

Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 34,004 times
I am writing regarding the subject of the establishment of Motocross tracks in anyones particular area of the state of Nebraska, presently here in Sargent there shall be it appears a race facility such as this established within the not too distant future and I was wondering if anyone else has faced or is facing this situation?

Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,060,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Grant or Elwood or Arapahoe or Minden, Nebraska. Also lots and lots of flatland small towns in Kansas, such as Bird City or Sharon Springs or Wallace or Ellis. There are just so many . . . where to start????

Im going to go with Elwood.I lived there off and on for short periods..
Of time.Everyone knew who i was because i was related to so & so.
Its close to Lake Johnson and not far from Lexington.
Elwood is a true farm & hunting town.
Another choice might be Superior.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:34 PM

14 posts, read 34,004 times
Sounds to myself like you are talking about Sargent, Nebrasks and/or Custer County.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,387,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard68874 View Post
I am writing regarding the subject of the establishment of Motocross tracks in anyones particular area of the state of Nebraska, presently here in Sargent there shall be it appears a race facility such as this established within the not too distant future and I was wondering if anyone else has faced or is facing this situation?
We had one come in when I was in SC. They are REALLY loud and noisy, and throw dust everywhere - unless it is raining, then there are a lot of muddy sliding wrecks. I used to 'work it' on the ambulance every weekend. For that assigned duty we brought a case of drinks and parked near to the portolets. The racing went on from Saturday AM til late Saturday night, then from Sunday at noon til dusk. It was far enough out that the folks who lived 'nearby' could only hear a low hum - about 5 miles from any residence.

If you want to participate in it, it is a very expensive "hobby". We had folks from four states there most weekends, though, and they brought a lot of business in to the gas stations, motels, and restaurants. They can be 'sanctioned' point races, where there are teens and adults vying for real state, regional, and even national titles. ESPN came out tot he track for at least one sanctioned race, as I recall. As long as you don't live near it and are not noise-sensitive, it can be a boost to an economy. I didn't care for it too much - sort of like NASCAR, the only reason to watch it is the unbelievable wrecks! - but then I HAD to be there almost every weekend, so that may have skewed my attitude.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
Default I've seen the website

I've seen the website, and it's a good job that you and the second graders have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegirl938 View Post
Hi I'm from a small nebraska town and I moved here from Arizona believe it or not! A small town of 639 people! I love it! I'm pretty computer savvy and do websites and did our town website! Our town would probably work perfect for a story line! Welcome to the New Sargent, Nebraska's Website Sending the 2 finger wave!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,945 times
David City, NE and Butler county I think would work well for your setting.

David City is located in south eastern NE with a population of 2, 400 or so. The main business is agriculture or ag business (i.e. farm insurance, ag reality, livestock).

I've grown and left this place but it is always in my toughts. I think of sitting on the porch swing at night out in the country. Swaying back and forth listening to the corn and irragation pipes whisper and murmur. I remember the county fair and 4-H. Showing livestock and meeting the people I would call friends no matter where life would take me. I still try to go back to that fair every year, that's how much it meant and still means to me. I think of when tragedy struck (i.e a death, an end of a marriage, extreme illness) how the community pulled together to cook meals, send flowers, or simply pick up the phone. I recall working in the town cafe, "Northside's", listening to the farmers come in for a pre-field cup of coffee. They'd sit together for an hour or so bickering about corn prices, discussing equipment (John Deere tends to be the favorite around here), or praying for rain. And the kids of the community, they're the pride joy of all. People come together for all home games and even away ones. 4-H shows become the battle of the families, but all in good fun...most of the time. It's green and hopeful in David City butler county. And there is nothing like a Daivd City sunset over the pasture as the cows sweetly doze and nothing like a moon rise over the cornfields. Life is simple and that's alright

I hope this helps

Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,111 times
I didn't read all the posts, but you could look into Curtis, NE, its like 800 population when the college kids are there, one of the only tiny towns I know that has a college. The Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture, ya I went there for Vet Assistant (though not for large animal) they are definatly an agricultural town, very "country" there, cowboy hats an all. A nice little town, has some nice scenery, Love Wellfleet which is only like 15 miles from there and has a nice little secluded lake. Anyway, it seems very small town America to me.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,744 times
Default small town America

I was born in Russell, Ks 1953. There are many surrounding towns that will spark your interest. Bender Hill Lutheran church is near the town of Milberger, where I spent my childhood surrounded by many aunts, uncles and cousins. All were farmers, ranchers, and in the winter, carpenters. I could tell you a story which deserves a book. The title could be "Frontier Virtues"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska