Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 19,705 times

Advertisements

I returned to college att 44yrs and I am getting a degree Teaching English as a Second language (ESL). Can anyone tell me if there are opportunites for ESL teachers in Nebraska? I currently live in New York City and I am really eager to leave. NYC is noisey, very expensive and has the population density of a beehive. I know Nebraska is amazingly beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
I returned to college att 44yrs and I am getting a degree Teaching English as a Second language (ESL). Can anyone tell me if there are opportunites for ESL teachers in Nebraska? I currently live in New York City and I am really eager to leave. NYC is noisey, very expensive and has the population density of a beehive. I know Nebraska is amazingly beautiful.
Nebraska has a lot of Hispanic. Some rural tTowns that have meatpacking tend to attract, plus South Omaha has a very high first generation Hispanic population. So you could choose rural or metro.

Also, the Omaha area for some reason has a very high concentration of Sudanese. Those that fled Sudan and entered the US.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 PM

16 posts, read 103,085 times
I work for a community college in Nebraska and they are always looking for instructors with ESL experience, both for community ed and credit-based classes. Our ESL is primarily with spanish-based languages.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM
mjm

19 posts, read 53,165 times
I often see ads for ESL teachers in the Grand Island area. The local paper is called The Independent. They have a decent website. The town is probably about 25% Hispanic, so the need is definitely there.
I have a friend that helps with ESL students from Sudan, and there is need in that area as well.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times
Orwell,

From looking at your reputation I see that you now have a -7. I for one don't care what you teach, but it looks like people in Nebraska do care. Sorry that they feel this way, but English language is the offical language as stated in our State Constitution and this article has not been changed that I know.

Good luck in your job search.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I'm not sure why the (-7) reputation score. I checked out your posts and nothing is at all inflammatory. I'm not sure why English as the state language has anything to do with this. Orwell is attempting to teaching "English as a Second Language", so he/she is trying to teach those non-English speakers English...isn't that what "English is our official language" purists would want?? At any rate, if your -7 score is because you are trying to teach ESL then people need to get a life because that's ridiculous!!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
The minus 7 rating has little to do with the OP's profession. There seem to be other things involved. So let's just concentrate on providing the info he's asking for. Thank you.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:26 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
You could easily get a job in ESL in Omaha. There is a large Spanish speaking population. I know Union Pacific uses quite a bit of ESL in the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska