U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,168,353 times

Advertisements

The wife and I have had the pleasure of attending many 4th of July celebrations across the state. I am not sure what one specifically stands out in my mind since they all have been enjoyable. Perhaps you have one that stands out for you and would like to share it with us. Who knows maybe some of us need a new place to go or try this year.

Some that stand out in my mind.

Gretna, we spent it down there last year with wife's brother celebrating his new home, what a fireworks display they had and will be back there on July 18 of this year for it again.

Rising City, for such a small city they put on a show. The person who used to be in charge of it passed away a couple years back but pretty sure it continues on each year.

Seward, what can you say.

Neligh, nice get together there in past years, nice little parade.

Valentine, oh yea, get together with friends and have a great time.

There has been many more, but will stop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Ralston is probably my favorite one, but you mentioned some I have not gone to...

Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 AM

94 posts, read 296,382 times
Every year we go to the Sumner parade, such a fun parade to go to, the kids come home with bags and bags of candy. Then we go back to Lexington to my parents house and have a large celebration all day. They live close to the park that has festivities through out the day. There are cake walks, dunk tanks, food booths, small games for kids. Then at supper time we grill and have my moms home made chocolate cake, people show up at the house on 4th of July for they know the cake has been made, and there are several types of homemade ice cream on hand.. They started making the ice cream this past weekend. I think what makes it so special every year is that we all come home on that day, cousins, brothers aunts and uncles. It just seems like every year it grows and gets a more special memory each year.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Here is a list of the places that have commercial permits for firework displays (from today thru the end of July). The list covers the entire state.

NE State Fire Marshall 2008 Firework Displays

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

370 posts, read 1,158,910 times
Ogallala puts on an amazing display for such a small town. They spend over $30,000 on the show each year.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 AM

94 posts, read 296,382 times
Not sure what Lexington spends on the one they have there. Every once in a awhile the volunteer fire department will have water fights and those are so fun to get involved with.
So between the parade in sumner, the park activities in Lexington, my moms homemade chocolate cake, the bbq at night, then the fireworks, it just makes for one great day in Nebraska!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,732 times
Honestly?
My favorite has got to be Haigler, NE.

There's no official display. (we're talking a town of less than 200, afterall). But it's a close-knit community, so people tend to just end up piling their loot together and setting it off to impress everyone's kids.

There'll be some in front of the bar. A few just up the street by the park and a few more a couple blocks over by Co-Op's parking lot. The observers tend to gather in a centralized location and sit in their lawn chairs.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,629,294 times
I don't know if you watch NTV at itsMeFred, but the Road Less Traveled is coming to Haigler next week!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,340,732 times
Oh rats!
Because we're on satellite, our "local" stations are in Kansas! Including PBS. I'll have to have someone tape it for me when it's on.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:48 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,629,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalynn View Post
Every year we go to the Sumner parade, such a fun parade to go to, the kids come home with bags and bags of candy. Then we go back to Lexington to my parents house and have a large celebration all day. They live close to the park that has festivities through out the day. There are cake walks, dunk tanks, food booths, small games for kids. Then at supper time we grill and have my moms home made chocolate cake, people show up at the house on 4th of July for they know the cake has been made, and there are several types of homemade ice cream on hand.. They started making the ice cream this past weekend. I think what makes it so special every year is that we all come home on that day, cousins, brothers aunts and uncles. It just seems like every year it grows and gets a more special memory each year.
I'm guessing you went to the Sumner parade? I ended up going with my family and I knew the amount of candy they would get, but I was suprised when that guy gave out stuffed animals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or