Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 20,254 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Lincoln in August to attend UNL. I couldn't get into the on campus housing so now I have to look for a place nearby. I really don't want to have to drive and would prefer to live in walking distance to the school; however, I was scrolling through other posts about living near the school and some people mentioned there are "iffy" areas. I don't know anything about the neighborhoods and can not come early to check out apartments in person (work issues). I wanted to know if anyone knows of nice apartment buildings offering studios/efficiencies or 1 bedrooms? What about the Haymarket area? Also, How about places near the Capitol?

Some places I am are considering (Please give me your opinion about them):

Centerstone
- 100 N 12th St
Haymarket Lofts - 311 N. 8th Street
Rochambeau - 1234 K street
Sky Park - 1301 Lincoln Mall
The Grainger Building - 105 N. 8th Street
The Hardy Building - 335 N. 8th Street
Georgian Place - [SIZE=-1]139 N 11th St

If you can think of any others please let me know.

[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 PM

29 posts, read 219,039 times
I recently came across a map of downtown Lincoln apartments. It's called Downtown Living Guide. I tried to attach it as a pdf, but it was too big. You can just Google "downtown living guide lincoln" to find it. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:09 AM

3 posts, read 20,254 times
Hi Beachy Keen thanks for the post...I did look at the Downtown Living Guide and several of the places I listed are from there. However, my dilemma is that I want to make sure the place is nice in real life. Some of the sites don't even have pictures.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 AM

43 posts, read 137,545 times
You may also want to look at the downtownlincoln.org website and click on downtown living which gives a listing of the various apartments/condos available in the downtown area, as well as pictures of the properties, and if they have websites. http://www.downtownlincoln.org/downt...rchresults.asp

I also noticed your other post about coming from PV. I think the biggest thing you are going to miss would be the ocean mountains and weather out there. I have been down to the PV Estates/South Redondo Beach area many times (and will be back down there in a little over a week), I love the area down there in the South Bay!

Hopefully that link helps... not sure if you have already visited it yet or not... can't tell too much about the area around there... I live a couple miles north of there in the belmont area.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,821,331 times
I understand Lincoln is now one of 37 cities around the country that GOOGLE has available on their "street view" website. I use GOOGLE satellite mapping all the time but I haven't spent much time on "street view" as of yet. Maybe there are others reading this that can tell you more.

Lincoln has some nice areas close to the University but there are several neighborhoods that you might want to avoid. If you are single with no kids you can find tons of nice places within walking or better yet biking distance of UNL.

Good luck,
GL2

Old 06-22-2008, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 69,672 times
Try this...

http://www.haymarketlofts.net/

Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM

21 posts, read 69,672 times
Here's another one. You can search on the price range. Some of the pictures are that good, but there are some pictures.

Downtown Lincoln Association | Downtown Living

Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 AM

300 posts, read 1,175,102 times
Malness - I'm from Lincoln and have lived here all my life. I don't personally know each place you listed, but I can tell you what I've heard. I will try to touch on the neighborhoods also.

Most of the "iffy" areas that are mentioned are south of 'O' Street. As a rough guideline, "iffy" parts start around J steet and continue south between 9th street and 27th. Of course, there are areas in this grid that are safe and there are areas outside of this grid that are just as, if not moreso, unsafe.

Lincoln is a real hit or miss city when it comes to apartments. While the places you mentioned are nice, they can not only get pretty expensive (I dont know if that's a concern for you or not) but they can also have waiting lists.
I wouldn't suggest any apartments close to the capitol or the police station, atleast not right away. After you get settled down and start to understand and see more of the neighborhoods, you can pick and choose which apartments (and neighborhoods) are best.

Haymarket Lofts are extremely nice, but they have a waiting list. As do The Grainger Building and The Hardy Building. Last time I heard, it was over a year. You can try, but I'm pretty darn sure you won't be able to rent there. The Haymarket though, (Which is where these three places are located) is a very "yuppie" area. It's pretty safe compared to south of downtown and there are a bunch of things to do.

Sky Park is also considered extremely nice. It may be alittle farther than you like though. It's roughly 12 blocks from campus, which doesn't seem like much until you walk there in winter. The neighborhood is considered pretty nice for this area. I don't know if I, being a woman, would walk around alone at night, but I don't think that I would freak out if I had to. Does that make sense?

Centerstone and Georgian Place are both pretty nice as well. They are both located in the heart of downtown Lincoln and there may be waiting lists for them as well. They are both relitively old buildings that have alot of history to them. Very beautiful architecture. Being in such a busy area, these apartments are pretty safe. You may have an run in or two with a drunkie, but you shouldn't have any bigger problems than that.

I don't have any knowledge of Rochambeau, I'm sorry. I do know though that 12th and K St. isn't the best area. It certainly is not the worst, but I, personally, wouldn't live there.

It may seem like I'm trying to make just south of 'O' St. out to be this not-so-safe place. That isn't totally true. I know alot of people that live around these areas and are more safe than I am. But since you are not going to be able to check these places out before you move, I am just trying to tell you where you have to be aware. Pretty much, if you have common sense and keep your eyes open, you shouldn't really have any problems.
A few blocks may be incredibly safe and seem like paradise, while just a block away there's drug deals and crap like that going down. It's incredibly hit or miss in this area of Lincoln.

Our busses are pretty good for college students, as there are stops all over downtown. The problem though is they stop running at around 6pm (I think) and don't run on Sundays. (I haven't taken a bus is so long. I don't know if they run on Saturdays. I can't remember.)

I would stay away from Vine St around 25th. It is decently close to campus and so it houses students, but it has a rep for being a dangerous part of Lincoln.

I wish you luck with your search!! If you need any more info, you can PM me and I will try to help you if I can.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM

29 posts, read 219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Malness - I'm from Lincoln and have lived here all my life. I don't personally know each place you listed, but I can tell you what I've heard. I will try to touch on the neighborhoods also.
Thanks for all of your information! I am not in Lincoln yet, but may be soon.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 AM

34 posts, read 103,983 times
also check out some Lincoln apartments on apartments.com or rent.com I know they are listed on both and include pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska