U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:48 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,672,868 times

Advertisements

Best chinese food: Hunan's in Hastings, have to get the collosal crab rangoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 AM

10 posts, read 35,117 times
The Beef and sweet corn..... yum, yum....

Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM

292 posts, read 859,503 times
The things that stand out to me in regards to food in Nebraska are: Corn on the cob, rhubarb pie, Dorothy Lynch salad dressing which is made in Columbus,(people come and buy cases of it when they leave here!) Bing Candy bars, and I do love Runza Hut food! LIke what was mentioned, you can bake them yourself! I have a recipe where you use cresent refrigerator rolls on the top and bottom and it's super easy. I'm pretty sure you can find that online!
It seems almost all the churches have their own cookbooks they do for fundraising and I tell you, they are my most favorite recipe books! Well that was until I changed my way of eating to more natural.
We can easily find someone to sell us a cow to butcher for beef here and in the summer different ones have different things from their gardens that they willingly share with everyone! We plant more for this reason!
There is becoming more and more of the hispanic people coming to our area and I believe we can thank them for the better produce departments I see in the grocery stores. Hispanic people generally (I'm sure not all but many) buy loads of fresh produce. We can learn from that!
Home made cinnamon rolls, Kolaches, (polish) are two other things I think of when I think of Nebraska food. I know of a place that does their own sausage and that's really good too! Polish sausage, sauerkraut and dumplings! Yummy!
Gosh, I'm starting to get pretty hungry here!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 45,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
OK everyone sound off. What is your favorite food from Nebraska?
Garlic steak, with a side of sweet corn!! Both 'home grown'

Myst

PS.. Dang, now I'm hungry!! ahaha

Old 05-24-2007, 01:01 PM

5,006 posts, read 13,836,661 times
Well, where else besides Omaha can you get runzas?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,672,868 times
They're all over Nebraska, there's also one in Fort Collins Colorado and I believe a couple in Kansas and Iowa somewhat close to the Nebraska border. They have a website that will tell you all the locations.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 9,405 times
Has anyone heard of Evening With Friends restaurant in Milligan, Nebraska? It's a very small town, but they have one great home-cooking restaurant that serves up a Sunday buffet that's worth the drive from Lincoln! Last Sunday we enjoyed at least 5 different meat dishes (fried chicken, roast beef, ham, shrimp, liver & onions, & catfish) and sometimes they have roast pork & sauerkraut, too. The price is very reasonable compared to the "big city". Plus, where can you go where the drink (tea, lemonade, or coffee) is still included in the price of the meal? I recommend you check it out!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 PM

422 posts, read 1,069,360 times
Mmmmmmmmm, I would have a hard time keeping my diet if I moved back to Nebraska. My mom makes pretty good runzas too! No one here in Minnesota has a clue what they are so I try to make them sometimes when I have friends over. Not as good as mom though =(

Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 PM

89 posts, read 349,623 times
You are all really making me miss Omaha now. I LOVED the Rice Bowl chinese restaurant...not a normal touristy stop, but definitely loved and very well used by the college student population. As for old Market area, I loved the Ice Cream at Ted & Wally's. They were a staple for a first date!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,194,400 times
I LOVE Ted & Wally's. Bailey's Irish Cream is the ice cream flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or