U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-16-2007, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,212 times
For favorite food it actually "Technically" isn't "Nebraskan" food.

It would have to be a bowl ... well Anything from Mongolian Grill or a nice big Gyro from Nick's Gyros (Both in Kearney, NE.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-21-2011, 11:59 PM

11 posts, read 8,324 times
Hello all there. I am a Chinese and I lived in Omaha for three years. Now I lives in Beijing. I miss Nebraska a lot. My favorite Omaha restaurants include Old Country Buffet, Old Chicago and Apple Bee.

Unread 08-23-2011, 05:47 PM

4,180 posts, read 4,908,482 times
Hi, Camio! When are you coming back?

I love the beef here, and the deepfried Rocky Mountain Oysters, and the cheddar cheese balls. Plus the restaurants here REALLY know how to make bean soup; one of my favorites when it's cold outside. Oh, yeah, and sorry OP, but homemade runzas RULE! We bake our own bread and make our own yeast dough for the runzas out in the country - no Runza places out here...

Of course, being from the South, I make fried yeast doughnuts (glazed and filled) to trade for runzas! KrispyKreme ain't got nuttin on me!

Unread 08-23-2011, 05:48 PM

16,090 posts, read 11,397,499 times
Goose berry pie!

Unread 08-24-2011, 03:03 AM

11 posts, read 8,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Hi, Camio! When are you coming back?

I love the beef here, and the deepfried Rocky Mountain Oysters, and the cheddar cheese balls. Plus the restaurants here REALLY know how to make bean soup; one of my favorites when it's cold outside. Oh, yeah, and sorry OP, but homemade runzas RULE! We bake our own bread and make our own yeast dough for the runzas out in the country - no Runza places out here...

Of course, being from the South, I make fried yeast doughnuts (glazed and filled) to trade for runzas! KrispyKreme ain't got nuttin on me!
Hello Granny, Yeah I really hope I can revisit Nebraska in the future! I love steak too! A friend of mine who is a Nebraska native invited me to his place several times for BBQ. He was really good at that. I didn't know that I could finish such a big chunk of meat before that! A large piece of steak that was tender and juicy, plus some corn and a can of Dr. Pepper. Life is good lol :-). Very American, isnt it? Yeah I also like bean soup. I like the chili bean soup very much. I used to put crackers into the chili soup and I really enjoyed it.

Unread 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM

2,648 posts, read 3,258,016 times
Chicken Fried Steaks with a good side of fries served in a small truck stop at the junction of I-80 and Hwy 81 during the 1970's. The owner of the truck stop cafe had a small locker plant at McCool Junction and he made his CF Steaks fresh every day. After Bill died I haven't found a CFS as good anywhere in the country.

GL2

Unread 08-30-2011, 10:47 PM

394 posts, read 354,735 times
Gunluvver2- I do!

Unread 12-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Status: "America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, Roar!" (set 8 days ago)

2,970 posts, read 1,023,054 times
I grew up in the Scranton/WilkesBarre area of Northeastern Pennsylvania, so I'm no stranger to ethnic foods of just about any variation. While I never had much trouble finding decent places to eat in Nebraska, I'd have to say that very little of the local fare struck me as "distinctive". Nebraska "cusine", when I lived there (for about a year 2000-01) just seemed to be the ultimate "refinement" of American franchise culture.

With one exception ... the well-known Runza ... which I describe to friends back home as a holupki (Polish for stuffed cabbage roll) served baked into a bun. I'm looking forward to a visit to the old neighborhood some day.

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:43 PM

4,835 posts, read 2,519,499 times
Two things I miss about Nebraska...Runza and Spaghetti Works! I'd love it if someone would open a Runza here, but I need to lose weight so maybe that wouldn't be a good thing.

I thought I'd miss Godfathers (theres one in the next town but I haven't been there), but I found a local pizza place that's even better. Didn't think that was possible. LOL

Unread 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM

4,835 posts, read 2,519,499 times
I'm also a Dorothy Lynch fanatic. Thankfully they sell it here or I'd be buying it by the case when I go back for visits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska