U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,370,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalynn View Post
I am also looking at moving back to the Johnsons Lake area within the next 4 years. Lexington is my hometown, but I would never move back into it.
The only thing that bothers me is the dues from the NRD and the taxes being so high.
We are also looking at finding a few acres between Johnsons Lake and Elwood.
Does anyone know about the Gallaghers Canyon area by Johnsons Lake, I was told they are starting to build in that area, beautiful area.
The farm I grew up on was situated at the edge of Gallaher's Canyon. I agree it is one of the prettiest areas (but I might be a little prejudiced ). There have been some very nice homes built in the area in the past few years. About the time we moved away (2001), there was some land next to our old farmstead near the water that was being subdivided. Perhaps that subdivision is moving along. I do know that quite a few people were looking to move out of Lexington city limits and out of town a ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,164,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Thank you all for all the great information. Is it true that Nebraska is second only to Minnesota in the amount of lakes within a state? I think I read that. I would have never thought that.

Really? Now that is something I have never heard before. I know that are many lakes through out the sandhill area of the state as well as in the panhandle. And I would not even want to guess the number of man made lakes in this state.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,252,255 times
Having been to both Lake Mac. and Yankton, I would vote for Yankton. South Dakota taxes are better then Nebraskas, and Lewis and Clark Lake is really very huge -- but then I have never been to either ocean, so bear that in mind
The last time I was at Lake Mac. the water levels were very low, in order to get to the water we had to drive out about 50 ft beyond the piers. Plus there isn't a lot of shops around there. Yankton is much better about that.
Good Luck in whatever you decide --- you will do well to spend time in all the places mentioned prior to deciding where to move.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,331,051 times
Nebraska is indeed second only to MN so far as lakes. In fact, some will say that if every little farm pond were included (which some of MN's lakes are of similar size) we actually surpass MN.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:25 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,022,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Nebraska is indeed second only to MN so far as lakes. In fact, some will say that if every little farm pond were included (which some of MN's lakes are of similar size) we actually surpass MN.
I was really surprised when I read that. That's an interesting fact that I don't think anyone really knows.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:29 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,022,435 times
Lewis and Clark Lake looks beautiful. I checked some real estate listings and it seems the SD side is more expensive than the NE side? I was interested in westrern NE because I understand the humidity is tolerable. I'm assuming the Yankton area is humid? But regardless, that area may be out of my price range Checking some listings, the price of a building lot near Lewis and Clark was more expensive than a house right on the water at Midway Lake. Must be a reason?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,164,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Lewis and Clark Lake looks beautiful. I checked some real estate listings and it seems the SD side is more expensive than the NE side? I was interested in westrern NE because I understand the humidity is tolerable. I'm assuming the Yankton area is humid? But regardless, that area may be out of my price range Checking some listings, the price of a building lot near Lewis and Clark was more expensive than a house right on the water at Midway Lake. Must be a reason?
I can understand the SD side being more expensive, probably due to a couple reasons. A bit more convienent for travel into Yankton and shore line on that side of lake is more likely to have better access to lake itself due to terrain.

Humidity wise, you are correct, it will get humid in this area compared to western NE.

Such a price difference is probably due the money in the area. Not saying Ogallala area is poor, but you would find more higher paying jobs in the Yankton area than there. Two pretty much different towns for sure.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 AM

20,767 posts, read 35,748,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post

I think Wisconsin may have more. Vilas County in Wisconsin has about 1500-2000 lakes! This is just in one county alone.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,331,051 times
Take it up with Nebraska Game and Parks.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

370 posts, read 1,157,013 times
Lake McConaughy and Lewis and Clark are two different lakes--topography wise. L&C has more high bluffs and some may say more scenic. Mac has the sandy beaches. Mac is suffering from low water levels, but snow pack in the Wyoming Rockies improved last winter, bring the water up a little bit. But, there is still a lot to go, and until the politics of water get under control, don't expect McConaughy to return to pre-drought levels for quite some time.

Yankton is a larger town than Ogallala, but you are further away from bigger cities. Ogallala is a 3 hour drive from Denver and 4 hours from Lincoln--right down I-80 in opposite directions. It is a little light on shopping (no Wal-Mart or other big retailers), but North Platte, Scottsbluff, Sterling, Cheyenne and Kearney are all 2 hours or less away.

Ogallala has a very nice hospital and good medical infrastructure. Not sure how it compares to Yankton.

There are plenty of other nice lakes in Nebraska, like Calamus or Merritt, but you get further away from civilization. I would not recommend Johnson. Most of the lake lots are on leased land, they have serious water quality issues, and overcrowding on and off the water.

If you have any specific questions about McConaughy, post 'em and I'll try to fill you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska