U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:18 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,021,854 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any opinions about living by the lake year-round, lets say in retirement years? I understand it's the number 1 tourist attraction in NE. I'm sure the summers are crazy there then. I'm not particularly found of crowds. I would hate to find out that I'd rather stay at home than enjoy the lake all summer. What's Lemoyne like? I'm assuming Ogallala has everything you need in town? like shopping and hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 PM

475 posts, read 2,034,905 times
Maybe the #1 lake... but it's not nearly as popular since it's levels have fallen in recent years... suffering from reduced snow melt in the Rockies. I'll let others comment on the specifics of the lake and the Ogallala area.

I'm not sure, coming from California... I'd want to retire to the Nebraska plains... might be a bit of a shock to you. Perhaps you should look for a lake community in Nevada or somewhere else in the mountain west.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,623,839 times
I really don't know much about living by the lake, but yes the lake is still very busy in the summer and Ogallala has necessities shopping and a small hospital.

If you interested in lakes in Nebraska, there is Johnson Lake south of Lexington. It is busy in the summer, but it is not as busy as McConaughy or Harlan. Lexington would have your hospital and a little more shopping than Ogallala. Lexington is my favorite town in the world, but if your just doing your shopping there it is okay. Another lake to consider is the Calamus up in Burwell, Nebraska. It is less busy and people have some nice homes up there and it is a nice lake. However, shopping is limited (you can get still groceries and stuff) and also your medical is limited.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,679,161 times
Besides, I think the Henry Doorly zoo is the number 1 tourist attraction in Nebraska. But I also know nothing of living on McCounaghy, sorry, though the Skating could be nice during the winter. Maybe you could live in that giant lake that they are making north of Omaha

Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 8,369,954 times
I've lived in both Ogallala (Lake Mac) and Lexington (Johnson Lake). There is really no comparison between the two. Johnson Lake is kind of a mud puddle compared to Lake McConnaughy. I haven't been there in recent years, so I'm not sure how much the lake level has fallen. I thought it was back up after the past two years of snow/rain. It's such a huge lake, though, there should still be plenty of water. What is really nice about McConnaughy is that it's a sand bottom, so none of that muddy sludge you get at Johnson Lake. You can walk out in the bays til the water is chest high, and still see the bottom. Also, although McConnaughy is busy on holiday weekends, it's such a big lake that the rest of the time it seems pretty empty. There are some pretty nice year-round homes that have been built in recent years on the south side of the lake. It's much more crowded on Johnson Lake in the summer.

As far as towns go, Ogallala does have the basic necessities; however for a mall or more extensive shopping you'd have to drive to North Platte or Denver. Lexington doesn't have much (except a packing plant - pretty smelly) and a Super Wal-Mart. Lexington used to be a very nice town before the packing plant came to town. Between that and the rendering plant (both within the city limits ), it pretty much smells no matter which direction the wind is out of. Also, Lex is a lot more humid than Ogallala.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,021,854 times
Thanks to everyone for the input thus far. I read that Lake McConaughy was nice, nice sandy beaches and clear. That's what peaked my interest. The NE plains? I think anywhere I move will be a shock. I live next to the ocean and the weather here stays about the same year-round. But, I'm pretty sure I'll have to retire out of state. Just about all of my NE experiences has been in Omaha. I did drive there once from CA. I entered from SD. Drove through Valentine and Ainsworth during the day, ate dinner, by the time I was leaving Ainsworth it was getting dark. So I drove the rest of the way to Omaha at night. Valentine to Ainsworth? did I get an idea of what the plains look like? Big lake in Omaha? is that a new housing development?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:58 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,163,720 times
There is a bit of difference between the area around Valentine and Lake Mac. Not a whole lot but some. I have friends with a cabin on Lake Mac, have stayed there a time or two. Sure the lake gets its visitors during the summer, but there is plenty of room. The 4th of July can be a bit crazy no doubt. Ogalala is nice. Like what was mentioned above, its not a major hub for the area, North Platte to the east is your closest bigger town for more to offer. But then Denver is just down or should say up the road to the southeast, about 2 hour drive if memory serves me still.

As far as Omaha and their big lake, I do believe that is still in planning stage and could be years before it is built or never. And more than likely it will be public also with no housing on the lake I could be wrong.

Johnson Lake is nice, its been years since I have been around it. Mud puddle not exactly, I think the what was trying to be said that its very small compared to Lake Mac. And Lake Mac is slowly refilling, its at its highest level right at this time of year for the last 5 years, still a bunch of water for sure.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,163,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Besides, I think the Henry Doorly zoo is the number 1 tourist attraction in Nebraska. But I also know nothing of living on McCounaghy, sorry, though the Skating could be nice during the winter. Maybe you could live in that giant lake that they are making north of Omaha

Not sure on Henry Doorly being the state's #1 attraction. Its ranks in the top 10 but this state has a lot more to offer than just Omaha I can tell you that.

Googling, Pioneer Village in Minden seems to attempt to claim the #1 spot along with a quite a few others. The zoo is ranked high in some magazines for sure.

I don't believe you are referring to in your giant lake quote the one they were attempting on the Platte River as its been defeated and will never be built. No lake in that area of the state will ever compare in size to Big Mac in the west, not with the muddy beaches it will have.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:16 AM

94 posts, read 296,021 times
I am also looking at moving back to the Johnsons Lake area within the next 4 years. Lexington is my hometown, but I would never move back into it.
The only thing that bothers me is the dues from the NRD and the taxes being so high.
We are also looking at finding a few acres between Johnsons Lake and Elwood.
Does anyone know about the Gallaghers Canyon area by Johnsons Lake, I was told they are starting to build in that area, beautiful area.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:38 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,623,839 times
The giant lake on the Platte that would have moved Ashland isn't happening, Go Ne was referring to a different lake being built. It will be no where as big as the Mac. No lake in Nebraska will be as good as the Mac, but if the OP is looking to be closer to the city there is also Branched Oak near Lincoln.

Also, and maybe Sandhills can help me with this, there is a nice lake on the S.D, Nebraska border near Yankton called Lewis and Clark Lake. I don't know anything about homes, but have heard its a nice lake and it is big. Not trying to steer you away from the Mac, just trying to give you lots of options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska