Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:47 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,816,426 times

Advertisements

I have a small metal lathe and mill in my garage workshop. I have tried to get some of my friends interested in my hobby but although they are always asking me to make parts for them they have no interest in the hobby. Sooooo. . . I have decided I need to add a new set of friends LOL.

If there are any of you in the Lincoln area interested in getting together for a monthly coffee and bull session let me know via this forum.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 PM

536 posts, read 1,531,125 times
Sounds like you could be a machinist. Have you considered cnc machining? I am currently taking college courses in that right now. Am done with the lathe learning part now. Will be off for 2 weeks then start learning the manual milling then after that the real cnc programming classes then later on even more the cnc machining!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Ted,
I am not even close to being a machinist. I just like seeing chips fly and objects going in circles. I have a single stall garage with a Harbor Freight Mini-Lathe and Mini-Mill. Another must have tool is my Cummins 4"x6" Metal band saw.

I have thought about CNC but I think I will just be content with going to digital readouts and servo motors on the X,Y & Z axis on my mini-mill. The arthritis in my hands and elbows makes cranking those wheels a bit painful at times. I think I would enjoy just pushing a button.

Are you taking your classes at SCC at Milford? I think you are getting into a career with very interesting possibilities. There are new technologies coming into use all the time and knowledgeable people will be busy even if the economy does crash. In fact machine technology jobs may be even better than ever when a lot of those huge factories go under because of bankruptcy.

Let me know how your classes progress. Maybe I can pick your brain.

GL2

Old 10-11-2008, 11:04 AM

536 posts, read 1,531,125 times
Nope. If you notice my tag line, I'm in Wichita, KS...airplane manufacturing capital of the U.S. hence my entry into cnc machining as a major at the Wichita Area Technical College. I have a relative that earned a degree in gunsmithing only to end up doing cnc work due to difficulty finding a job in his wanted field.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 PM

I read your bio after I sent that reply Ted. Good luck with your career. I am 62 and retired. I envy you younger people with all the different career choices you have today. There are so many really exciting areas to work in now compared to the job market when I was 18.

GL2

Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,486 times
GunnLuvver,

Have you found some machining friends? I too am looking for people that are interested in Hobby Machining in the Lincoln area. Something not too business driven, I work at a machine shop and that is enough business for me.

I have a gaining interest in hobby CNC machines and hobby machining. I currently have obtained an ENCO 12x36 lathe that I had to work a little bit on. But am wondering if I should sell it and look to purchase smaller more house friendly equipment (sherline).

Anyways thought I would see where you were at.

Thanks,
Will Baden

Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,804 times
gl2 if you haven't found any friends I would be interested in have a chat with you sometime. I know this post is a year old but I live south of lincoln in hickman and working in lincoln. I have always loved metal working and have my own casting and milling setup. I have always enjoyed the hobby. Anyway if you get this I would love to chat and pick your brain.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM

mwit,
I hadn't checked back on this thread for quite a while. I moved into an apartment back in December and decided to sell all of my heavy machines so I wouldn't have to move them. So I am back to just a small bench top drill press for metal working stuff now. After I sold all my heavy stuff I found a second floor apartment over a 18x28 garage. However I am still interested in metal working and on the look out for machinery.Drop me an E-Mail Gunluvver2@yahoo.com and we can get together for coffee some time. Make sure you put Metal in the subject line so it doesn't go to the SPAM folder.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: