U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 AM

94 posts, read 296,428 times

Advertisements

My cousin Chris has to take a class on how to live in New York, after being raised in Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 PM

86,890 posts, read 102,319,187 times
You never know what you will and won't miss till you leave. I say that from experience. That said, you won't know till you try it. I would certainly go out for a look around, see what catches your eye.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,441,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You never know what you will and won't miss till you leave. I say that from experience. That said, you won't know till you try it. I would certainly go out for a look around, see what catches your eye.
I agree. I plan on looking in a few places next summer (hopfully) then if I find something that looks promising, go back in dead of winter and see how it is then too. Experience both weather extremes. That should help with the weather part of the move. I think a place just has to have the right "feel". I got that when I visited Gillette WY but winters there are a bit much from what I hear.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 26,995 times
I grew up in Los Angeles, and moved to Dallas in my early 20's. We lived there until our middle 30's until we realized the city had gotten to big ,to fast. The corker happened one night when I had stopped after an evening downtown at a convenience store to gas up.

In the 15 minutes it took to get home and the 30 minutes until the news came on, I was shocked to see the opening story where someone had gone in apparently right after I left and robbed and shot the store clerk as well as a customer. All in the space of 45 minutes

We decided we couldn't take it anymore and moved to a small town of about 2,000 outside of Wichita in Kansas, raised our kids and never regreted the change from day one. Now the wife and I are moving to Nebraska, and I honestly like the Lincoln area, was up there yesterday looking about.

The best thing I can suggest is plan a few days to just look around, read the papers, watch the news, and just talk to a few people to get a feel about what communities might suit you. Over the years I've found midwestern folks to be of pretty solid stock and if you ask a straight question, you'll generally get a straight answer. You may not like the answer, but thats the risk one takes in asking .

Old 08-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I agree. I plan on looking in a few places next summer (hopfully) then if I find something that looks promising, go back in dead of winter and see how it is then too. Experience both weather extremes. That should help with the weather part of the move. I think a place just has to have the right "feel". I got that when I visited Gillette WY but winters there are a bit much from what I hear.
Even then, and this is speaking from experience, you won't know what you're going to miss until you miss it. Maybe it will be your great hairdresser. Maybe that little coffee shop where they know your name. Maybe the local paper. That sort of stuff. I have moved a lot of times, and even when I thought I hated a place, there were always things I missed. The new place may not be better or worse, but it will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt View Post
I grew up in Los Angeles, and moved to Dallas in my early 20's. We lived there until our middle 30's until we realized the city had gotten to big ,to fast. The corker happened one night when I had stopped after an evening downtown at a convenience store to gas up.

In the 15 minutes it took to get home and the 30 minutes until the news came on, I was shocked to see the opening story where someone had gone in apparently right after I left and robbed and shot the store clerk as well as a customer. All in the space of 45 minutes

We decided we couldn't take it anymore and moved to a small town of about 2,000 outside of Wichita in Kansas, raised our kids and never regreted the change from day one. Now the wife and I are moving to Nebraska, and I honestly like the Lincoln area, was up there yesterday looking about.

The best thing I can suggest is plan a few days to just look around, read the papers, watch the news, and just talk to a few people to get a feel about what communities might suit you. Over the years I've found midwestern folks to be of pretty solid stock and if you ask a straight question, you'll generally get a straight answer. You may not like the answer, but thats the risk one takes in asking .
There is crime everywhere. You can't escape it. Your description of midwesterners doesn't jibe with "Minnesota Nice", which is also extant in many other midwestern states.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is crime everywhere. You can't escape it. Your description of midwesterners doesn't jibe with "Minnesota Nice", which is also extant in many other midwestern states.
Crime is more apparent in some areas than others, but yes, in the context of crime in itself being in existence, I agree

I'm not familiar with the term "Minnesota Nice" is that a Prairie Home Companion reference? My own comparison is based upon personal experience over the years in comparison with other areas I've lived.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt View Post
Crime is more apparent in some areas than others, but yes, in the context of crime in itself being in existence, I agree

I'm not familiar with the term "Minnesota Nice" is that a Prairie Home Companion reference? My own comparison is based upon personal experience over the years in comparison with other areas I've lived.
No, it's not from "Prairie Home Companion"; it has been around long before that. It's a sort of passive-agressive form of behavior: speaking nicely to someone to their face, talking about them behind their back, etc. There have been books written about it.

Here is one thread from the Minnesota forum. There are lots more.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...ce#post4716261

Old 08-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Ah, well good thing I chose to move to Nebraska instead.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,886 times
So did you move to Nebraska? If so, where did you finally settle?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM

69 posts, read 166,643 times
jeepejeep, I lived about 25 yrs. of my life in Nebr.and now 4 yrs in NY and Nebr. humidity is as bad if not worse then NY. Alot of the country in up-state NY reminds me alot of Nebr. The big difference will be property taxes and the cost of living.I have to say the winters are alot worse here in NY. I can't wait to move out of this state myself, just waiting for something to sell here. They can have the high taxes here, it's crazy. We are looking into, WV or Nebr. I always liked Wahoo, Nebr., very nice small town but in the middle of Lincoln and Omaha, if you would need to commute. Good-luck, GenG1022
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or