U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 PM

2,094 posts, read 2,659,455 times
Quote:
Nebr. humidity is as bad if not worse then NY
I think you mean eastern Nebraska's humidity, yes?

"Humid" in western Nebraska is when it's over 50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,234,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I think you mean eastern Nebraska's humidity, yes?

"Humid" in western Nebraska is when it's over 50%.
Exactly. We're expecting over 90 degrees and humidity in the 80-90% range in the next few days. The humidity in NY is considered low if it's in the 50% range.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,234,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
jeepejeep, I lived about 25 yrs. of my life in Nebr.and now 4 yrs in NY and Nebr. humidity is as bad if not worse then NY. Alot of the country in up-state NY reminds me alot of Nebr. The big difference will be property taxes and the cost of living.I have to say the winters are alot worse here in NY. I can't wait to move out of this state myself, just waiting for something to sell here. They can have the high taxes here, it's crazy. We are looking into, WV or Nebr. I always liked Wahoo, Nebr., very nice small town but in the middle of Lincoln and Omaha, if you would need to commute. Good-luck, GenG1022
What part of NE did you live in? My understanding is the panhandle/west is way less humid than the east of NE.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,640 times
Avoid Hastings lol, I live here in hastings and im moving, honestly there is nothing here, so many businesses keep closing cause they dont get enough business, the mall is practically empty (though many places moved out to the strip mall near walmart). Jobs are around, but it seems hard to get them, cost of living seems fairly high for this area though its not the worst. I'm considering moving to Lincoln or one of the areas near by there,but still looking.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 50,636 times
I'm guessing since you're coming from NYC, your definition of "small town" is much looser then most of us might suspect. In Nebraska, a "small town" is about 10,000 or less. In the middle of nowhere. You don't get concerts, nice colleges, variaty in restaurants, not even a Starbucks, Best Buy, not even Kmart. You are lucky to find a movie theater with more than two screens.The nearest major city can be hours away. For my family, even moving from a small town (10,000) in northern PA to North Platte, NE (24,000) was a huge shock because it's so isolated. And North Platte is the eighth largest city in the state!

I don't know you but I'm guessing you will want to stick with Lincoln or Omaha, small towns compared to NYC. These cities still have the variety, ethnic, food, entertainment, employment, recreation, shopping, etc., but none of the heavy traffic or pollution. Grand Island is a good city, too, although much smaller than Lincoln and Omaha. Kearney is a very nice city too, but the farther west you go, the more isolated you become.

Here in North Platte, there is not a whole lot to do in the immediate area, although we have a man-made lake here, a fairly nice park. Lincoln is three hours east, Denver is four hours west. My family likes to camp in Wyoming in Snowy range, about four hours away. The sandhills, an hour north, are quite pretty, and Lake Mcaunahey (sp?) is an hour west. As far as cultural experiences, we have the Nebraskaland days (the biggest festival in the state) every summer, which is a pretty fun. Also the local playhouse puts on some of the old Broadway plays (there's some genuine talent here). The people here are pretty friendly, but it's hard to get into their "social circle" because they're not used to outsiders (just be friendly and outgoing, give it some time, and you'll be fine). The schools are decent, although the North Platte high school is sometimes referred to as "drug-mart" . Hershey High School is about 20 miles out of town but is much smaller and I think better, a lot of people send their kids there instead. There's not a whole lot of shopping here, if that matters to you, only Shopko (kind of like Kmart), Walmart, and a mall with about 15 stores. We have a nice six-screen first run movie theater.

Compared to NYC, though, there really isn't much to offer. It will certainly be an adjustment. Some people love it here, others hate it. I like small towns AND cities, but Kearney and Grand Island are closer to my ideal towns. But if you still want the luxuries of a larger city, Lincoln and Omaha are going to be more up your alley (although Grand Island is getting there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska