Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,870,644 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know, esp as a Mod how bad Omaha gets bashed on this forum, and its mostly because people are tired of hearing about it. They honestly do not know anything about the city. But Nebraska gets bashed too. And Nebraska is NOT just cornfields. Scottsbluff is great!

But as an urban planner, I know what Omaha, and Nebraska have to offer.

Lincoln is an awesome city, that has a small town feel, but has a great university, and a huge population, 245,000 is something to be proud about, and the population is growing good too. You also have the nation's second tallest capital building. A great set against the skyline. And Lincoln has a good nightlife, esp with that great University of Nebraska right near the downtown, which benefits the city like you wouldn't believe.

Omaha is approaching 500,000 and a metro of 1 million. Omaha has a great skyline, I mean come on, any city would wish they could have a tallest building like Omaha's, let alone a skyline with a population like that! That is awesome. The riverfront is awesome, the convention center is by far one of my favorites, and that zoo is just great. Old Market, that is something you do not find very often, esp in a city of Omaha's size. Heartland of America park is nice, and it is a great set for Omaha's skyline, esp with the fountain. Gene Leahy Park (spelling) has some of my favorite views of the skyline.

Nebraska is NOT just cornfields. It has a diverse landscape that many people refuse to see. Scottsbluff like I said before was awesome. And Snake Falls and Smith Falls were incredible. Those waterfalls looked great, and was in a neat setting. The SE part of the state had some great parks, and nice little cities along the river with some great festivals going on. Nebraska City was very nice.

Nebraska has a great state park system too. It was one of the best in the nation in my opinion. And Lake Mcconaughey was a great area for boaters and swimmers. A lot of people camping out on its awesome campsites, and a lot of windsurfers too. In a way, it reminded me of a very small version of Lake Erie. Lots to do there.

I created this thread just to let people know, there is so much to Nebraska, but you have to do research. It is just like any other state, you must do research to find out what really lies behind its national reputation. And let me tell you, Nebraska left a great impression on me. I tell many here in Cleveland of what I thought of Nebraska, and I get stares like I am some crazy person who doesn't know what they are talking about.

And if I didn't get the job at a Columbus firm, I was planning on checking out some firms out in Omaha. A city that is growing, has a great future ahead of it, and so much to do.

Nebraska truly is a great state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I created this thread just to let people know, there is so much to Nebraska, but you have to do research. It is just like any other state, you must do research to find out what really lies behind its national reputation. And let me tell you, Nebraska left a great impression on me. I tell many here in Cleveland of what I thought of Nebraska, and I get stares like I am some crazy person who doesn't know what they are talking about.

And if I didn't get the job at a Columbus firm, I was planning on checking out some firms out in Omaha. A city that is growing, has a great future ahead of it, and so much to do.

Nebraska truly is a great state!
As a planner there are quite a few places to work in the Omaha area... planning is taken very serious by many cities in the area, some counties, and the private sector. Many private firms in addition to the public sector...

Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
As a planner there are quite a few places to work in the Omaha area... planning is taken very serious by many cities in the area, some counties, and the private sector. Many private firms in addition to the public sector...
I know I could find a job in Omaha, but I was offered a job in Columbus. I even did research before the move. Columbus just has more development going on, and its close to home too. Just remember though, Columbus is also a larger city than Omaha too. The development dollars in Columbus are being spent like crazy, which is good, and that is one reason I plan on moving there. Plus, I was offered the job in Columbus, I would have had to go and look for one in Omaha.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,651,267 times
Thanks for all of the compliments, it feels especially good coming from an out of stater, and I would have repped you too, but I can't, hope your job goes well in Columbus.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,129,772 times
Thanks for the kind post!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,184,548 times
Default ..

Wow, thanks Ohio traveler!

Even though the population ration is way off, the type of people that live in Nebraska and Ohio are very similar..

We are viewed as innovative and very hard workers..

Thanks for your thoughts..

Old 08-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
Wow, thanks Ohio traveler!

Even though the population ration is way off, the type of people that live in Nebraska and Ohio are very similar..

We are viewed as innovative and very hard workers..

Thanks for your thoughts..

I have seen that too. Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,895,554 times
Good posts and thread, Traveler87. I also think highly of Nebraska and have a positive opinion of Omaha. I enjoy my visits to Nebraska, including Omaha. The people are friendly and the scenery of the towns, cities, and countryside have its hidden gems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska