U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM

35 posts, read 73,595 times

Advertisements

You know you're in a small town when:
*it's ok to park in the school lot with a gun hanging in the rack of your pickup's back window.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,081,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving South? View Post
*it's ok to park in the school lot with a gun hanging in the rack of your pickup's back window.
So that means Chadron is a small town since the college students there can have guns in the dorm? (not in the rooms but the gun closet is in the dorm). (sure hope the politically correct folks don't go about changing that one). Go into the parking lot of the dorms on the day students move in or out - many many gun cases being carried in/out... good to see there is still good old common sense and respect for 2nd ammendment at CSC. Go Eagles!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 3,011,495 times
My freshman year (at CSC) some kid didn't check his rifle in. It was in his closet in Kent.
He was showing it off to a buddy, said that it was unloaded, and the buddy accidentally fired it!

It went through the closet, across the hall, through the room across the hall and stuck in the mirror in the closet in that room.
My husband (though not at the time lol) had just gotten back to his room from brushing his teeth, was in the process of opening his door, when the shot fired across the hall just a couple of doors down from him.

~Erin

(Beyond a doubt, though, Chadron is a big town! )

Last edited by itsMeFred; 09-03-2008 at 09:10 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 03:19 PM

62 posts, read 112,823 times
When I lived in Los Angeles I picked up a copy of the book, “A Life on the Road: Charles Kuralt” with short essays about a number of topics. Kuralt’s essay about small town America was based on a conversation he had with the editor of the Shelton Clipper, Doug Duncan. Duncan had several definitions for a small town:

He told Kuralt that a person knows they live in a small town when:

* You are born in mid-June and your family receives gifts from local merchants because you're the first baby of the year.

* You speak to each dog you pass by name, and he wags his tail in response.

* You can't walk for exercise because every driver that passes offers you a ride.

* You write a check on the wrong bank and it covers it for you.

* You miss church on Sunday and the preacher sends you a get well card.

* Someone asks how you feel and spends the time listening to what you have to say.

* You don’t need to use your turn signal when driving because everyone knows where you are going.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:26 PM

35 posts, read 73,595 times
Default Small Town

Alexva,
I love it!!! Those are perfect and the honest truth! I grew up in a small town in Nebraska of 383 people, graduated in a class of 13, and like your email says, who needs turn signals???? We knew where everybody was going!

Thanks for the memories!!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,484,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving South? View Post
* you dial the wrong number and still talk for 15 minutes.
* you only need to dial 4 numbers to call somebody.
* you wave at everybody passing on the street
* you know the name of everybody in your class
* you drive "main" time after time after time.
* everybody thought you were cool for dating somebody from another town.
For me, the waving at everyone, knowing the name of everyone in my class (even with it having 130 students in my class-consolidated district made up of four towns), and driving on main for time were experiences of the small town. The town I grew up is near a larger city, which has its plusses and minuses. I have no regrets with growing up in a small town of 2,000 people. Glad that I did not go to high school in Sioux Falls where the class size would be 300-400 people and overall high school numbers are 1800-2200 students. Mine was around 450-480 students and was small enough to know a good chunk of the people in high school but large enough to offer a broad enough cirriculum. The pep rallies were rather interesting and comical at times. The memories of the orange and black in the late 1990s are coming back to me.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 PM

24 posts, read 77,238 times
Ah...this discussion of "You know you're in a Small Town when..." is very personally close to my heart as it was my father, Doug Duncan, that wrote this. What truly was ironic about this article is that he had this written for many years of living in Shelton, NE. It was one of those weeks "In A Small Town" that dad's news was light for the week so he actually published the column as "filler"
Then Charles Kuralt's staff calls like months before the story appeared on "On the Road with Charles Kuralt" Dad was like, yeah whatever, I'll beleive it when they show up to do this. So on the day they were to show to do the taping, they were like 2 hours late, so we went to lunch, and as a typical small town reaction goes, the entire town showed up that the restaurant he, myself and my mother were having lunch at, and said..."Hey Charles Kuralt's Bus is in town Duncan, you outta go get the story"

Dad, mom and I never said a word about this as we weren't sure it would happen. Little did our community know, they were their to do a story about "Life in a Small town" based on the article dad had written!

That was a huge day for my dad. He never spoke much about it, but I could see it in his eye's

Charles and Dad spoke alot after that, until dad passed away in 1994. The original document that dad had scribbled is with dad.

Just a little insight on this for you all

Life in a small town...it's a life that makes memories

Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 AM

1,823 posts, read 3,467,059 times
Thanks, I enjoyed that little insight.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:55 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,081,944 times
That was great... thats for sharing it on the forum.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 77,238 times
Dave1215,
Dad sold the newspapers he owned in Shelton & Gibbon, moved to Papillion (with mom of course...LOL) where he actually was the President of Times Publishing (which I am sure you are aware of being from Papio) from 89-94, until his death.

I have to say it brought back alot of memories when I read the quoted text from his "scribblings" on here, plus I've had a weekend of great reading throughout this site in the "Nebraska" area!

Anyway, it was fun to remember that all, and share a little bit of the memories at least! That was a full day of fun and enjoyment! So many stories from that day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska