U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM

2,583 posts, read 7,017,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduncan View Post
Dad sold the newspapers he owned in Shelton & Gibbon, moved to Papillion (with mom of course...LOL) where he actually was the President of Times Publishing (which I am sure you are aware of being from Papio) from 89-94, until his death.

I have to say it brought back alot of memories when I read the quoted text from his "scribblings" on here, plus I've had a weekend of great reading throughout this site in the "Nebraska" area!

Anyway, it was fun to remember that all, and share a little bit of the memories at least! That was a full day of fun and enjoyment! So many stories from that day!!
I subscribed to one of the Times Publishing weekly papers during the timeframe your dad was President (and I still have that subscription). Your dad wouldn't recognize the area now....
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:52 PM

943 posts, read 2,348,040 times
Everyones definition of a small town is different.

Ord is definately small, with about 2100 people.. but we've got a ncie grocery store, hardware store, Dollar store, several banks, several places to eat and tons of places to shop. So, its like a small town with some medium sizedtown amenities.

I've lived in a North Dakota town of 14,000 people in the NW corner of the state. It had TONS of stuff, but it "felt" small town to me, 'cuse everyone knew everyone.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:01 PM

24 posts, read 76,536 times
Radio...you've also got MISKO'S that is an awesome store!!!

I played lots of baseball in Ord in my day, and still do some hunting up that way with a few buddies from North Loup, Ord and up more Burwell way! I have to say, that getting OUT of Lincoln (even though I love it here) is wonderful to feel open, see the rolling hills, let the hair down a bit and enjoy the great outdoors!

Go Chants! :-)

Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduncan View Post
Radio...you've also got MISKO'S that is an awesome store!!!

I played lots of baseball in Ord in my day, and still do some hunting up that way with a few buddies from North Loup, Ord and up more Burwell way! I have to say, that getting OUT of Lincoln (even though I love it here) is wonderful to feel open, see the rolling hills, let the hair down a bit and enjoy the great outdoors!

Go Chants! :-)
Ok, I forgot about Misko's.. lol. Dean Misko used to be half owner of KNLV-AM/KNLV-FM here in Ord

Some small towns have a "big" town feel. Some "big" towns have a small town feel.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM

24 posts, read 76,536 times
Yeah...at least to me anyway, Ord and Misko's kind of goes hand in hand, might not be on the scale that Cabela's is to Sidney, but to any small towner from those neck of the woods, you SHOULD know about Misko's for sure!

Sad thing is all the Kearneyites think it is a Kearney original...NOT so.

No, Ord is a nice community, very homey feeling, at least that is my perception! Even if the High School mascot is a chicken :-)

Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM

2,146 posts, read 2,945,310 times
I've got a cousin that moved to Ord with her little boy, about a year ago. She's a nurse at the hospital. So far as i've heard she enjoys it.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:00 PM

1,823 posts, read 3,440,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
Ok, I forgot about Misko's.. lol. Dean Misko used to be half owner of KNLV-AM/KNLV-FM here in Ord

Some small towns have a "big" town feel. Some "big" towns have a small town feel.
Ah yes Misko's. Yes, most people in Kearney don't even know of the Ord store. My dad used to do mechanic work for Dean, interesting guy.

Things going good in Ord, RadioBroadcaster?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Ah yes Misko's. Yes, most people in Kearney don't even know of the Ord store. My dad used to do mechanic work for Dean, interesting guy.

Things going good in Ord, RadioBroadcaster?
Things are OK, could be better, could be worse.. as I like to say.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,737 times
Please don't flame me. This is going to sound really bad. But remember its a perspective thing!

I am from Omaha/Bellevue and I am going to UNK in Kearney, and I think Kearney is a small town. I could not live here my whole life. But I've driven Hwy 30 to GI, and going through Gibbon, Wood River, and the other small towns along hwy 30, I really don't know how people live in such a small town. I could never imagine driving into town to go grocery shopping.

I think K-town (as me and my friend from Lincoln call it) is a great college town, but both of us think we could never live here fulltime.

And another thing, people in Kearney drive SLOW AS HELL! It takes people like 15 minutes to drive across town, when I can do it in like 5. :O

Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 AM

2,583 posts, read 7,017,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre181 View Post
Please don't flame me. This is going to sound really bad. But remember its a perspective thing!

I am from Omaha/Bellevue and I am going to UNK in Kearney, and I think Kearney is a small town. I could not live here my whole life. But I've driven Hwy 30 to GI, and going through Gibbon, Wood River, and the other small towns along hwy 30, I really don't know how people live in such a small town. I could never imagine driving into town to go grocery shopping.

I think K-town (as me and my friend from Lincoln call it) is a great college town, but both of us think we could never live here fulltime.

And another thing, people in Kearney drive SLOW AS HELL! It takes people like 15 minutes to drive across town, when I can do it in like 5. :O
You are right it is all perspective... its funny, I know a few kids from Omaha/Papillion that are going to Chadron (even smaller than K-town)... they love the smallness of both Chadron and the outlying towns - love the idea of driving "to town" to get the stuff... when they come back to the metro they say they go crazy. One of the kids said she just became a small town girl (never been out of Omaha prior to that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska