U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM

47 posts, read 132,699 times

Advertisements

Recently when I have been driving I noticed that a lot of people seem to be going faster than me, even when though I am driving at the speed limit.
Has anyone else noticed that some people seem to be going faster than the speed limit? I don't know what the big hurry is, and why people would do something like this when gas is horribly expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,297,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyfan View Post
Recently when I have been driving I noticed that a lot of people seem to be going faster than me, even when though I am driving at the speed limit.
Has anyone else noticed that some people seem to be going faster than the speed limit? I don't know what the big hurry is, and why people would do something like this when gas is horribly expensive.
I'm surprise that you have just noticed this. Assuming that you are serious and not being a smart aleck. As a person who always (always) drives the speed limit myself I can tell you that people seem to think a speed limit is just a suggestion. Even though they are breaking the law, people who would never consider stealing or raping or commiting child molestation won't blink an eye at breaking traffic laws. It's some kind of sick thrill. Personally, I don't get it. Either you break the law or you don't. And yes, I think that speeding is just as bad as child molestation because I am a very black and white kind of person. LOL

Anyway. Keep up the good work. WHile they are pulled over at the side of the road by Officer Friendly for breaking the law you can smile and wave at them as you go by.

20yrsin Branson

Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm surprise that you have just noticed this. Assuming that you are serious and not being a smart aleck. As a person who always (always) drives the speed limit myself I can tell you that people seem to think a speed limit is just a suggestion. Even though they are breaking the law, people who would never consider stealing or raping or commiting child molestation won't blink an eye at breaking traffic laws. It's some kind of sick thrill. Personally, I don't get it. Either you break the law or you don't. And yes, I think that speeding is just as bad as child molestation because I am a very black and white kind of person. LOL

Anyway. Keep up the good work. WHile they are pulled over at the side of the road by Officer Friendly for breaking the law you can smile and wave at them as you go by.

20yrsin Branson
Yes, I did just notice this. Remember though, I haven't had a driver's license for very long.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM

872 posts, read 2,601,269 times
When making sure you are following the speed limit, I hope you aren't purposely in the left lane to try to slow down those behind you - even the speeders, if the majority of other cars are speeding, since this would then consitute the "normal and reasonable movement of traffic." I do know state troopers (in Nebraska as well as in 2 other states) who have warned or ticketed those who felt it was their duty to slow down drivers by driving at or below the speed limit in the left (PASSING) lane or who incorrectly felt it was their right to continually drive in the left hand lane (rather than move to the middle or right lane when not attempting to overtake other cars). If the LEO determines that it is actually the slow driver (even one maintaining the speed limit) who is impeding traffic flow, they can warn or ticket you. It is rare, but I do know it has happened.

Section 60-6,131 Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic

Section 60-6,193(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

--------
And since no one is speeding because that is the law, then I'm sure they are ALWAYS turning into the correct lane when turning at an intersection (i.e., if turning left, then turning into the appropriate left lane of the street rather than swinging immediately over to the right because the store you want to go to happens to be on the right hand side) because that is also the law.

Section 60-6,159(2) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle and, after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection, as nearly as practicable, in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered.

-------------
And something that many drivers seem unaware of, especially in downtown areas: Left turn on a red light onto a one way street is okay in some instances.

Section 60-6,123(2)(c) Except where a traffic control device is in place prohibiting a turn, vehicular traffic facing a steady red indication at the intersection of two one-way streets may cautiously enter the intersection to make a left turn after stopping as required by subdivision (3)(a) of this section. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection...

Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
When making sure you are following the speed limit, I hope you aren't purposely in the left lane to try to slow down those behind you - even the speeders, if the majority of other cars are speeding, since this would then consitute the "normal and reasonable movement of traffic." I do know state troopers (in Nebraska as well as in 2 other states) who have warned or ticketed those who felt it was their duty to slow down drivers by driving at or below the speed limit in the left (PASSING) lane or who incorrectly felt it was their right to continually drive in the left hand lane (rather than move to the middle or right lane when not attempting to overtake other cars). If the LEO determines that it is actually the slow driver (even one maintaining the speed limit) who is impeding traffic flow, they can warn or ticket you. It is rare, but I do know it has happened.

Section 60-6,131 Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic

Section 60-6,193(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

--------
And since no one is speeding because that is the law, then I'm sure they are ALWAYS turning into the correct lane when turning at an intersection (i.e., if turning left, then turning into the appropriate left lane of the street rather than swinging immediately over to the right because the store you want to go to happens to be on the right hand side) because that is also the law.

Section 60-6,159(2) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of such vehicle and, after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection, as nearly as practicable, in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in such direction upon the roadway being entered.

-------------
And something that many drivers seem unaware of, especially in downtown areas: Left turn on a red light onto a one way street is okay in some instances.

Section 60-6,123(2)(c) Except where a traffic control device is in place prohibiting a turn, vehicular traffic facing a steady red indication at the intersection of two one-way streets may cautiously enter the intersection to make a left turn after stopping as required by subdivision (3)(a) of this section. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection...
Good post. I'm sure some drivers will learn something from this.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 PM

370 posts, read 1,159,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post

So what happens when it is the Trooper in the left lane running 74 MPH?

Yes, I know they do that so they can get a clear moving radar run of oncoming traffic...

Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,194,948 times
Where exactly are you driving at and noticed this?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:12 AM

226 posts, read 916,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsin Branson
You think that speeding is just as bad as child molestation?

So should child molesters get a ticket?

People speed because the speed limit is set too low!

If the state legislature (or whatever agenency it may be that assigns the speed limits) would wake up and take action (i.e. raise the speed limits) then you wouldn't have as many speeders...

But if you want, you can move to Reno, NV... Here everyone drives like 5 mph under the speed limit... And when I drive the way I used to in Omaha (10 mph over the speed limit, rapid lane changes, etc) they get all freaked out and think that I am the one who can't drive good...

I cant wait to get back to Omaha... only 175 days and counting

And just because someone drives fast doesn't mean that he or she drives bad, bad drivers are the ones that drive stupid, the ones that don't check blind spots, the ones that don't properly yield, you know who you are...

Don't get mad at me because my reaction time is 5 times faster than yours and I can drive cities like NYC and Chicago!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM

79 posts, read 180,423 times
What most of you traffic speed limit breakers need to realize is this, which was posted by Buffy888 is one of the laws you attempted to use as an example of why others should move over for your convenience, it's the LAW, STUPID! Here it is: Section 60-6,193(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. Speed limits are there for our safety, not for anyone's convenience and it's just plain selfish and selfcentered to think you are a better driver or just plain "better" than anyone else and should be allowed to break POSTED speed limits. Sheesh!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:48 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,249,514 times
I have checked the three vehicles that I drive on a regular basis for the accuracy of their speedometers. I used stopwatches and mile marker sign posts on I-80 (they are exactly 5,280 feet apart) there are also three radar sites on streets in the Lincoln area that I have compared speedometer readings.
At 60mph on the speedometers of the three vehicles:
Vehicle one was actually going 55 mph.
Vehicle two was actually going 57 mph
Vehicle three (my Vulcan 900 motorcycle) was actually going 52 mph.
Checks of the three radar sites were in 45 mph zones and at 45 mph indicated on three vehicle speedometers they were all going slower than 45 with variances close to the stopwatch calculations.

At an indicated 75 mph on my motorcycle on Interstate 80 I am usually the slowest vehicle on the road.

Dennis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska