U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. Looking for a little guidance. I am looking to move to Valentine, but I want to make sure that it seems as if the city would be right for me, and that I'd be right for the city.

I've lived in Omaha for all of my 22 years on the earth, and I've felt trapped in the wrong place. I love the outdoors, love the country, and especially appreciate the attitude of those I encounter in rural Nebraska. While I've always lived in Omaha, I have plenty a time out state. I've helped family with cattle branding for 5 years, and have gotten to enjoy just roaming the Sandhills on foot (making sure not to get too lost). I've also spent a great deal of time in Valentine (tubing, canoeing, hiking, viewing, walking downtown, etc). I simply love that place.

While I have tasted the Sandhills life, I am still stuck with relatively little knowledge of what living out there is really like, and like it or not (well, I don't like it), I was still raised a kid in the suburbs. I'm not sure if I'm painting a picture of ideals in my head, not really knowing what I'm getting into. I love the ruggedness of the area, and the close proximity of a multitude of outdoor recreation options. Everyone always seems kind and the type of people who would help no matter what. I get the sense that there is a real 'community' there, although I'm not sure how one gains entrance to it.

I myself am looking towards a career in Law Enforcement or possibly something in the telecommunications infrastructure fields (I have a dual major). I don't expect to make a lot of money (obviously, I'm still pursuing a Law Enforcement position, lol), have no problem shoping for clothes at Bomgaars/Alco, and don't mind the harsh winters in Nebraska. I'm mildly outgoing (especially if I have something to talk about) and am the church going type. I don't mind hard work, and am sick and tired of the live and let live attitude in Omaha. I want to be part of a community, where people care about each other, know each other, and look out for each other.

One of the best pieces of advice I've heard is to read the newspaper of anywhere you think you may want to live. I've had a subscription to the Midland News for a while, and have learned a lot.

Do I seem prepared? Does Valentine sound like it would fit me, and would I fit Valentine? I 'feel' like its the place for me, but too many times, outside perspective opens up questions / issues you simply can't find on your own reflection. Thanks in advance for reading my ramblings...

Last edited by ThunderLightning; 09-18-2008 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,629,641 times
I'd say go for it, if its what you really want to do. It sounds like you can handle it and you realize what living in Valentine entails. I'm guessing you're best bet would be to get a job in law enforcement, but there might be a telecommunciations job as well. Heck, maybe you can catch their naked bandit that is running around town.

There are a few members on this forum who have lived or live in the Sandhills, so they can give you a real good perspective of life there.

Here are a couple previous threads on Valentine, probably won't tell you anything you don't know, but might be worth a read:
Valentine, NE questions
Does Valentine have any jobs?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,168,635 times
Reading your post, I would say you have researched the area quite a bit already and spent some time in the area as well.

Would you fit in? I believe so, you have knowledge of the area, the lifestyle, and what the area has to offer to you inparticular. I am not sure what jobs in the telecommunications field our area has to offer to you. And law enforcement might also be hard to get into also, but I have no knowledge of either in what opportunities exist either.

But with all things considered, I say go for it. You sound to be the type of individual who is outgoing and willing to get involved in the community you live in, you would be welcomed with open arms I am sure.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM

947 posts, read 3,240,708 times
i would say go for it

You seem open minded and ready for a change.

A change of scenery and location always does wonders for a person and can really motivate them to do things.

Save up a few bucks and go for it!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
A lot of good information about Valentine on this thread and the others tpabes posted. Thanks! I have recently interviewed for a position stationed in Valentine and am currently deciding what to do if offered. I am a 27 yr old graduate student at UNL. I will be finished with school in early spring and could possibly be in town working by Feb or March. I was born and raised in a small town but have spent the last 9 years in Lincoln. I know this could be a culture shock for me. On top of that I am a single male. This is one of my major concerns about making a commitment to a job in a remote town with (I would assume) very few young professionals like myself. Advice from friends tell me I'd be very lonely in a place like this. I just wanted to get some opinions from people that know more about the area. Are there any local employers attracting younger people to the community? If so, what are they? School? Hospital? Finding someone isn't priority for me but I know I'm not getting any younger.

Also...I've tried finding information on a community/wellness center in Valentine but haven't had any luck. Is there anything that offers a fitness facilty? If not, are certain school facilities (gym, weight room, etc.) open to the community at any times? Thanks for any help!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:22 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,389,033 times
The Community Development folks are working on a fitness center for Valentine; the best person to contact in Valentine for amenties is Mike Burge, the Director. He is very friendly - of course, everyone I've met in Valentine is! - and would be happy to direct you. They are trying to attract business to the area, as well as to keep their younger workers and attract more. But Valentine is wide open in terms of finding your niche there, in employment, in recreation, and even in church activities.

We moved to Cody (40 mi west) and go to Valentine once a week or so. There is not a whole lot of "city life" but if you don't mind a limited amount of grocery or other shopping, don't mind stores that occasionally close for lunch, and love the area, I don't see a problem. The Midland News folks are really nice and helpful. The only problem I've found here so far is that everyone here already knows what, when and where everything is, so they don't explain things really well ahead of time - like what route the parade will take, or where certain things are being held. But folks are happy to explain things and help. The LE guys I've met are very professional but very friendly too. All in all, a perfect place to live - but don't tell anyone else. Not all change is good! LOL

Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM

117 posts, read 479,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Heck, maybe you can catch their naked bandit that is running around town.
Not really pertaining to the original post, but they finally caught the butt bandit!

JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - News - Nebraska (http://www.journalstar.com/news/nebraska/doc492c280d3a79d181392724.txt - broken link)

He He He...

Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM

94 posts, read 296,406 times
Just wondering butt..... when they checked him in did they do a butt print?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:56 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,389,033 times
Jeez. I figured it was kids, not a 35 YOA male! Good grief.

Rumor has it that he has an accomplice. Would that be someone who watched his butt?

Butt prints! I asked the same thing - are all butt prints, like fingerprints, individual? Has anyone the courage to check?

Other places have armed robberies, armed home invasons, and drive by shootings, Valentine has a butt bandit... ROFLMAO

Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 AM

1,821 posts, read 4,629,641 times
I think part of his punishment should be a butt-spanking. With one of those old fashioned paddles with the holes in them to create less restistance. It would be a fitting punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska