Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,744 times

Advertisements

i live in cedar rapids iowa right now and im finishing up my two year degree in criminal justice.,.... im just not sure what place i would like to choose omaha or lincoln which has more offerings and things to do..... please let me know i like sports malls fun exciting night life............

i want to know about the cities and each of the colleges im goin to get my 4yr degree any type of info would be gr8 thanks....

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2007 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Omaha by far.

If you like Malls/shopping Lincoln has two malls I can think of. An old one on O Street and the fairly new Southpointe.

Omaha has Westroads, Crossroads (and the massive shopping area around Crossroads), Oakview, and Village Point, and Mall of the Bluffs in COuncil Bluffs. Omaha has higher end stores than Lincoln does and attracts many new retailers and restaurants that Lincoln won't get.

I can't really comment on Lincoln nightlife. I'm sure if you're a fun person you could do fine in either, but I would give it to Omaha again. My unlces lived in Lincoln and their going out usually consisted of going to people's houses to drink. That's not really nightlife going out to someones house and drinking next to some teenagers.

There are many bars/clubs in Omaha's Old Market Downtown. West Omaha also has some bars and dance clubs around 114th and Dodge.

For schools I'd still say Omaha.

Lincoln:
UNL (huskers. Eww.)
Southeast Community College. I think there's a community college in Beatrice south of Lincoln.

Omaha:
UNO
Creighton
Bellevue University
Metro Community College
Iowa Western

Omaha definanly wins in sports offerings.

Lincoln:
-Huskers Football (again eww)
-Husker Baseball and Volleyball are popular if they're winning.
-Saltdogs Baseball- I'm not sure what level of play this is but I know it's not affiliated with any Major League team.
-Stars hockey- Junior hockey. Again not affiliated with any major league team. It's 17 year olds playing hockey.

Omaha:
-Creighton Basketball- Plays at the Qwest Center and is #13 in the country for attendance. (Averaging between 15,000-17,000) A good team that usually makes it to the NCAA Tournament.
-Knights Hockey- The Omaha Knights are the AHL affiliate of the NHL's Clagary Flames. They're my favorite hockey team out of the 3 in Omaha. They play at the Civic Auditorium.
-Omaha Royals- The ORoyals are the AAA affiliate of the MLB KC Royals. They play at Rosenblatt Stadium.
-UNO Maverick Hockey- UNO's Division I hockey team plays at the Qwest Center. They are usually a good team too.
-Lancers Hockey- Junior level hockey like the Lincoln Stars. I don't get into that.

Plus Omaha hosts many other major sporting events that Lincoln won't get.

-2008 Olympic Swim Trials will be held at Omaha's Qwest Center.
-2008 NCAA 1st/2nd round Tournaments will be held at the Qwest Center.
-Omaha is also the annual home the the College World Series in June at Rosenblatt Stadium.
-Omaha is also a contender for hosting the Big 12 Tournament.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times
I live south of Lincoln and I would agree with DTO Luv. Lincoln has an attitude that is like we are the best city in Nebraska and everyone else is only second rate. The only thing Lincoln has for it is the University of Nebraska - Lincoln campus. They do have two other Universities there Wesleyan University and Union College. Both of these are private schools.

I would also agree with DTO Luv about the night life in Omaha as you are close to some casios that are in Iowa that you can go to if you like. In Lincoln they like to roll up the streets if you know what I mean around midnight.

The job market is better in Omaha as well. If you don't know someone in position or have a friend who knows someone in position in Lincoln then you will be out of luck for a good job. Your education and experience has little to do in Lincoln in getting the good jobs.

The shopping is also about 100 times better than in Lincoln. There are times when you shop in Lincoln and they don't have want you want in the store they tell you that they can get it out of Omaha and have it to you the next day.

Omaha is about twice the size of Lincoln so getting around Lincoln is easier than it is in Omaha, but you can still get across Omaha in about 30 minutes with traffic. 15 minutes to get across Lincoln with traffic.

Good luck and welcome to Nebraska.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:25 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Lincoln traffic has always seemed worse to me since there aren't that many big through streets, and the interstate pretty much bypassing the whole city of Lincoln. Some of my relatives in rural parts west of Lincoln tend to agree about Lincoln being more congested and slower moving than Omaha.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times
Well they are trying to make it better by working on "O" street and taking their time in working on some other streets so that the workers there can have some kind of job security. Plus the drivers in Lincoln don't know you need to stop for a red light and I don't they can read either as they don't know the meaning of the word STOP that is on these funny looking eight sided red and white signs.

I come from western Nebraska as well. From around Holdrege (Oxford). Where does your family hail from?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:04 PM

184 posts, read 902,103 times
Omaha hands down. People I know from Lincoln are either overbearing and patronizing or dead inside. Omaha is developing nicely into a little gem of the prairie, and the people are actually cool! I was only a visitor but I was amazed at the contrast.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,722 times
Heh heh... I'm an Omaha native... and I know many people from Lincoln. You must be a heck of a judge of humanity there Arrow ... because I can't tell a difference between Omahans and Lincolnites (only insofar as I can't sum either group up under one set of defining characteristics... our respective representatives span the spectrum).

Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 AM

35 posts, read 175,627 times
Omaha is a great place to use your Criminal Justice degree. Plenty of people assaulting and killing one another.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,744 times
keep the info coming what would be a selling point and what u guys like the best bout omaha that is why i should relocate there?

Old 02-13-2007, 04:36 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default Jds

JDS read the Omaha forum, just click on Omaha and you will see many threads on Omaha that I have started that gives almost unlimited data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska