U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:23 PM

30,217 posts, read 16,749,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
If you come to Nebraska one thing to keep in mind is that we do things differently in Nebraska that you do in Orange County it would be best that you adjust to the Nebraska way and not tell people that you do it a different way in California. You just might be told that if you don't like the way we do things in Nebraska then you should go back from where you come from. I lived in California in the Bay area and San Diego for a period of time and I just adjusted to how you did things there, instead of trying to change things and telling everyone how we do things in Nebraska.
My friend in Omaha lived out here in SoCal for a year, and we worked for the same company, which is how I met him. So many of our conversations centered on how things in Nebraska are so different and so much better than how things are done out here. Of course, to me, being a California native, I at first found that kind of attitude a little off-putting, but I tolerated it.

He was obviously unhappy and homesick, complaining about how expensive it is to live out here, the traffic, the crowds, how people aren't that nice, etc., until one day, I suggested that if he isn't happy living here, why doesn't he move back to Nebraska? And a few months later, he did! He and his family have been out here to visit a couple of times since then. They say California is their favorite place to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 AM

36 posts, read 121,544 times
Dennis, LOL. Glad you agree about JanB's comments. I thought I got stupid there for a second when I could only make sense of perhaps 2 sentences. It was like reading a cryptic comment, except I don't think it was cryptic in intention. Perhaps he/she will come back and enlighten us all.
As for your friend from Omaha, I can totally see that happening. People on this board have said something to the effect of NE not being so different from S. Cal, and I have an exaggerated view of the differences, but I have my doubts. I think it'll be a whole different ball game. I hate the cold, cattle and horses smell (never been on a horse, don't hunt, the only live animals I've been around are in nice cages in the San Diego zoo) I dont like football (the Huskers seem to be THE state pastime, I was just on the site, and apparently, the team's stadium has sold out all their seats in every game since 1962, which brings me to the question: why not petition for a professional NFL team?) Anyhoo, this is looking bleaker and bleaker, but I'll keep my head up, my optimisim in tact, and hope for the best. I'll have to just remember to go get them cowboy boots and hat, which I think might look pretty cute on me. There's the silver lining!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
having reread MattDen's first post I'll have to kind of defend UNL. (I can't even believe I'm doing this because I HATE that school.) The campus isn't too spread out. It's a big university (25,000+) so it's not going to be small. The campus is right Downtown so it's within walking distance to the Haymarket (bars, restaurants) and other stores around Downtown. There isn't any "run down" part of Lincoln either. If you're coming from Southern California you'll probably have seen much worse.
Why do you hate the school?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:13 AM

673 posts, read 3,747,896 times
I dont think I have seen more then a few people wearing cowboy boots here in Lincoln, most people here in fact go out of their way to try to emulate the fashions they see in magazines.

I knew a few people who relocated to Lincoln from Southern California and mainly their comments were that Lincoln was old. I would agree Lincoln is not a modern city at all. Alot of Lincoln has an industrial, blue-collar feel similar to what alot of rust-belt (Ohio and Indiana) is like.

UNL students because they are mainly from smaller towns, like to act they are very fashionable. I am often shocked at people who dress up to go to a
7am class in formal clothes. Basically the reason why they are so formal is alot of people who go to UNL have lived in towns of 500 people and want to put on as good of an impression as possible so it can overly-formal and stuffy.
Basically alot of people here go out of their way to put on a good impression, sometimes it goes to far!

I have to say in regards to the friendliness, I have lived in 4 states and Nebraskans are not rude but not friendly people either. In regards to the football team its an obcession around here and there is no way to ignore that.
I would say a majority of conversations here start with the football team.

I think you will be suprised although UNL is a very conservative campus, it is also fairly diverse. Alot of the reason is tuition is less expensive here then alot of other states and international student tuition rates tend to be lower then other states.

The one thing about UNL is the fact that the campus is very spread out.
It doesnt have that busy feel like alot of other universities campuses have either. The university could use alot of renovations though, especially the university library which is not impressive at all. The university library is what one would expect for a college of 5,000 students not over 20,000 students.
University of Nebraska also has frequent shuttles around campus and in the adjacent area which is good because the university is one of the least pedestrian friendly I have seen.

The one thing about UNL is the area just south is the downtown area which is where the state capital is, around 10 coffee shops and a few dozen restaurants. Downtown area is okay, I would give it an average grade its nothing impressive. The small apartments are between 250-350 dollars for the most part in the downtown area. Downtown Lincoln however is very pedestrian unfriendly, its not as well-kept as a majority of downtowns either and some vacant storefronts.

The neighborhoods North, East and West of the campus however have alot of vacant storefronts, lots and generally not pleasent areas.

Last edited by MattDen; 02-19-2007 at 02:40 AM..

Old 02-19-2007, 02:14 AM

482 posts, read 2,037,714 times
Well MattDen is from Colorado for one thing and they are trained from birth in Colorado to hate the Nebraska Husker football team. So this hate is implanted in them from day one. The Nebraska University system is a very good University. They have many programs that are known world wide for it's excellence in education just like most of the universities we have in America. I am sure that once you get settled in and give it a few months you will be just like one of us loving your time in Nebraska. If not then guess you will be just like MattDen, which makes me wonder why did he even come to Nebraska in the first place and why does he stay if he hates Nebraska as much as he seems to hate it. Nothing is stopping him from leaving and going back to Colorado. Nebraska will still be here with him gone.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,193,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe du monde View Post
Why do you hate the school?
I don't like the huskers. They make us look backwards. Come on their called the CORNhuskers.

Also I think you're being a little dramatic. You aren't going to be walking around sharing the sidewalks with horses, cows, or chickens. Lincoln is a city. Not LA but it is a city. Even if you were in a really small town of 200 you wouldn't see animals walking around either. They're kept on farms not out with the people.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 AM

475 posts, read 2,037,332 times
Quote:
Even if you were in a really small town of 200 you wouldn't see animals walking around either. They're kept on farms not out with the people.
My wife said in some small towns in North Carolina they had chickens/pigs roaming around.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Question 1) What does everyone have against Matt Den? He seems pretty impartial to me, and is a good at listing facts on this thread.

Question 2) What is outside of Lincoln? Say, I hop on a freeway (do you have freeways??? Or are they called highways?? Or maybe just "roads?")
and drive west, out of town...what will I find? Are there rivers? Lakes? Farms? Forests? Fields? Mountains? Are there any good sized cities or towns west of Lincoln? It will be so odd to be driving in a place with no lights. The only time I experienced that was on the way back from Vegas, driving throught the desert, we got off on an exit called Zzyxx cause the guys needed to ****, and I swear to god, that exit was so friggin spooky cause there were no lights anywhere. I'm used to driving on very illuminated freeways, and I could have sworn a place like that existed only for murders and god knows what to happen. It will be strange to be a in place where I can see the stars clearly, and hear the crickets at night. It seems very peaceful, and when I think of that, I get the feeling that I might like it.

And no, I wasn't trying to be dramatic in saying that I will see horses and chickens walking around town. I just assumed that thats how Nebraskans spend their time, on account of all the farms and from the info of a brochure I got, on account of the "Big Rodeo" and all the places you can hunt and fish and do all the outdoorsy things. I am kinda looking forward to that I think--it'll be different, but not in a bad way. Who knows, I might enjoy it.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM

475 posts, read 2,037,332 times
Quote:
Question 1) What does everyone have against Matt Den? He seems pretty impartial to me, and is a good at listing facts on this thread.
He is not impartial... he definitely has an agenda to smear Omaha and Lincoln, and Nebraska in general. And what facts?

Quote:
Question 2) What is outside of Lincoln? Say, I hop on a freeway (do you have freeways??? Or are they called highways?? Or maybe just "roads?")
and drive west, out of town...
Outside of Lincoln you'll find farms, cattle ranches, progressively smaller towns... some manufacturing. Interstate 80 is only major freeway running across the length of the state (although it's very well maintained). The largest cities west of Lincoln are Grand Island and Kearney... along with Hastings, they refer to these as the tri-cities... with a combined population approaching 100,000. You'll find a couple of small malls in these towns, Kohl's, Best Buy... basic needs retailers... nothing particularly upscale, not alot in the way of cultural activities... but not devoid of entertainment/attractions either. Certainly, there is much to take from the state's agricultural heritage/history... from this region in particular (some great museums).

Unfortunately for Nebraska's image... I-80 runs along the Platte River valley, which is extremely flat, and relatively featureless... leaving most passing through assuming that Nebraska is topographically boring. In truth, if you venture off the interstate, you'll find Nebraska has some very diverse scenery (see sampling of pictures below)

If you head east, you'll come to Omaha, which surprises many... not only do we have running water... but you'll find a downtown with steel and glass highrises, a vibrant cultural scene, a world class zoo, 5 Fortune 500 headquarters, etc, etc. Here you'll find most big city amenities, assuming you can't find what you're looking for in Lincoln. See the 'Omaha' section within this forum for more information.

Some scenery from around Nebraska...

Butte country in western panhandle

Dismal River, one of Nebraska's National Wild & Scenic Rivers
http://biocycle.atmos.colostate.edu/~marek/archive/wpix/dismal_1a.jpg (broken link)

Fine Sand Hills beaches of Merritt Reservoir in north central Nebraska
http://pictureomaha.com/gallery/valentine/pic1.jpg (broken link)

Nebraska National Forest
http://www.chillihistoryproject.com/images/HalseyNF_b.jpg (broken link)

Snake River Falls near Valentine, NE in north central Nebraska

Near Scottsbluff National Monument in western Nebraska

Middle Loup River among the Sandhills
http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/DSCN5726sm.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 AM

673 posts, read 3,747,896 times
One of thing of note: The sandhills region of North-West Nebraska is basically next to the Black Hills of South-West South Dakota. The Sand Hills, Valentine area are around the same distance to Lincoln as is Denver. In fact, Valentine is in Cherry County and its a 2,000 square mile county with about 2,000 people, also its well over a hundred miles from Interstate 80 the main interstate going through the state.

Downtown Omaha is about 45 minutes east of Lincoln on Interstate 80.
The Omaha suburban areas are 30 minutes east and have alot of impressive shopping. A vast majority of the shopping and cultural amenities except the zoo and arena are actually in the Western suburbs of Omaha.

Alot of Lincolnites just do their shopping 30 minutes up un-crowded Interstate 80 instead to navigating the often high-traffic volume, stop light every few blocks to get around Lincoln the main street South 27th is one-lane each way in parts of the city.

They have three-blocks along Howard Street in Downtown Omaha which has some restaurants and a few coffee shops in Downtown Omaha. However, very few people tend to be down there which is good if want fast-service but can be a disadvantage if your used to a vibrant urban environment.

Personally, other then that area almost everything is in West Omaha which is closer to Lincoln anyway.

I know that they have two large "life-style" outdoors malls in West Omaha. One off 168th and Dodge and another one going up even close to Lincoln on Interstate 80 and Highway 370 (I believe). In fact that the best farmers market in the state is at the outdoors shopping devolopment at 168th and Dodge. They also have malls off 144/Center, 102/Dodge and 72/Dodge and they will have a new outdoors oriented mall behind UNO around 66/Center so those are six shopping, restaurant corridors. Lincoln has two malls (one indoors at 60/O and 27/Pine Lake is an outdoors shopping mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or