U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,651,993 times

Advertisements

I'm not really concerned about people knowing my middle name. I've published several real "in print" articles and give talks all over the the U.S. and world. All one needs to do is google me and they can find my info out pretty quick. There is nothing about my middle name that would bring a lawsuit. Also, I don't think there is a difference between CA and NE views on trusting the internet. I just don't really care if people know who I am. I'm not printing anything embarrassing, so have at it.

As far as your religious concern, well, that's pretty silly! I think your views of the midwest are pretty distorted. The reason everyone jumps on Mattden is because he tends to perpetuate this very distorted view. The idea that anyone would care at all that you don't go to church is pretty ridiculous. I also take offense to Mattdens' characterization of rural communities. I am from one of these "absolutist" communities and believe his claims are pretty ridiculous. Granted, my town was very very very small. I graduated with 20 people in my class...yeah that small. However, 19 out of 20 people went to college. Of those 19 there were 9 who went on to graduate school. I am weeks away from a Ph.D. in physics and will be going to law school. How does this fit his stereotype??

I grew up in a very small town and I haven't been to church in about 12 years. My views of religion are very evolved and complex. Most would probably classify me as an agnostic, however that term is somewhat over used in the mainstream. The point is I'm not a fundamentalist and most people in Nebraska are not. I certainly have no need for fundamental christian ideas and most Nebraskans don't either. Honestly, I can't say that I've ever run into someone preaching their fundamentalists points of view. Mattden continually makes off the cuff comments "like Nebraska is the most socially conservative state in the U.S." or "Lincoln is dominated by fundamental christians". He can make these comments because there is no way to cross check a subjective opinion. The idea that Nebraska is dominated by fundamental christians is just plane silly! I think once you live here a while you'll understand that your stereotypes of the area are rather misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 PM

36 posts, read 121,688 times
Matt P., I know where you live because I was navigating around the UNL website and discovered that you can look up people (out of curiosity, I researched you, to see if it really works)--and this displays people's addresses. I, for one, think that this is really odd--schools here do not do that (in fact, you can get sued here for leaking that kind of info)--as an undergrad, I led a team of researchers for two years on the subject of ID theft and fraud (hence, I am a bit paranoid in that area; I learned that you don't need that much info to steal someone's ID). So, when I see info being displayed like that, it irks me, I find it strange, so that it why I deduced that it must be a Nebraska, midwest trusting thing. I guess I deduced incorrectly. My apologies.

As for the religion thing, I guess that I might be wrong too--perhaps that people in the Midwest don't fixate on it as much as I was led to believe by the media's stereotypes. We'll see. However, I still think I would not mention that I am Buddhist unless outright asked. Do you think I will be outrightly asked?

Oh, is there a hip hop radio station there in Lincoln? I was reading about Lincoln in a brochure, and you guys seem to have a top 40 station, but no hip hop. Is this true?!! No offense, but god, I can't stand country music. I, like, DETEST it. The worst one I think every starts out with "I got a barbeque stain on my white T-shirt," or "I was sitting in a dark and empty bar"--bummer! I want to listen to happy songs, not depressing ones!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:11 PM

Cafe,

I find it hard to believe that anyone can be sued by displaying someone's name and address! Well, you could be sued I guess, but that doesn't mean the suit will be won. My God, what the heck is a telephone book??!! People's names are unbelievably simple to get and in turn their addresses are easy to get. All you have to do is go to an online phone book (or a real phone book) to get these things. So, UNL's website isn't displaying anything that isn't already readily available. Plus, I believe, a person can have his/her information removed from the public UNL displays, much like having an unlisted phone #. Now, if they were displaying account #'s or my social security number then things would be obviously different. I would be willing to bet that if you would give me your first and last name it would take me a whole 3 minutes to find your address. But that doesn't allow me to steal your identity. If that were true then all an identity thief would have to do is go pick up a free phone book from his local phone company.

As far as hip hop stations go in Lincoln, I have no idea. I pretty much hate hip-hop and really don't listen to it. I know we have some, but I couldn't tell you the frequency. I'm also a bit older (31), so my tastes are a little different. I guess I would rather hear about some guy spilling BBQ sauce on his T-shirt while drinking beer in a bar than about some "ho's thong" or her "milkshake". But to each is own. At any rate, there are plenty of stations in Lincoln for you.

One more thing on the religion thing. You have to remember that Lincoln is college town. As a result, there are thousands of thousands of people here from all over the world. I promise that you won't be the only Buddhist. And I promise you that no one will care what religion you are. Someone might be interested by it, but they certainly won't judge you negatively for it. If anything you'll get a, "oh wow, that's neat".

Old 03-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,677,571 times
It's in the smaller communities that people would judge you for not being a christian. I grew up in a town of 4000 people about 80 miles from Lincoln. My family was part of the church group, people who did not attend church were definately looked down upon. Nebraska generally is very conservative, but, Lincoln and Omaha are big enough that there's more diversity which makes everything more acceptible.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Misperceptions

I'm confused.

I thought all men liked hos in thongs and shakable milkshakes? God, and to think I've lived my whole life adhering to these misperceptions. LOL.

Earnie, that's the picture I got. I guess when I was thinking about the midwest, I viewed through smalled towns like the ones you mentioned. Now, I know to view Lincoln differently. It clears up a lot of my misperceptions, I suppose.

You'd be surprised as to what I can find out by just your name and address. I can find out how much you paid for your house, your tax bracket, your lender, your title company--and from there, it's really just a hop, skip, and jump away from all the info I need to damage your credit. There are so many methods to steal someone's ID--ok, I am paranoid. Who says an education does you good? LOL. I don't think you'll be able to find much info about me even if you know my name. All that info is under wraps. And you CAN be sued for displaying such info, if no permission was given.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Of course you can look up my home information. You simply go through the assessor's website, that's common knowledge to anyone who has owned a house. However, you can't determine my tax bracket and the loan information is sparse at best! You can make assumptions based on the value of my home, but that doesn't necessarily indicate my tax bracket. That said, what information did I suppy on this website that you couldn't gather from a phone book? You started with no more information than my first and last name. If you gave me your first and last name I could absolutely replicate the information you found out about me. So, why aren't phonebook companies sued?? Plus, with my name, address, and home information (from the assessor's site) how can you damage my credit? This is information that is freely available and this is information that I could find out about you too. Whether or not your school does it is irrelevant because this information is available somewhere open to public access ( i.e. a phone book). None of the things that are open to access are considered "private" information. Nothing involves anything that could damage my credit either.

I would also add that universities across the country supply students with common information such as name, address ,and phone #. Some may require that you login in with your student ID first, but nevertheless it is open to at least the entire student body. At any rate, all this information is available in any phone book or an online phone book and to my knowledge I have never heard of any lawsuits filed against phone book companies, or at least not any that weren't considered frivolous. A person's name and address are not considered private pieces of information. Names, addresses, property information, places of work, criminal court records, civil court records, college attendance and graduation records, and etc. are all considered public domain. Whether you like it or not this information is all freely available to the world and these things are just as freely available in California as they are in the midwest. And whether I supply my first and last name on the internet is irrelevant because a person could simply open a phone book and gather that information. That's really all my point was with this whole thing.

Anyway, I fear we may be a bit off topic.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:00 PM

Okay, Matt. I don't want to argue. What say we call the whole thing off? I'd rather learn more about Lincoln, anyway.

The apts. we were talking about--Lion's Gate & Tanglewood--I was looking at the pics, and the building looks like one big house--like a a mansion. How does this work? Are all the entries into the apts. inside? And are the hallways from one apt. to another also inside, like all the apts are in one building? Architecure here (as far as how apts. are built) is quite different. Everything is spread out, every entry is outside.

What are the supermarkets there? Do you have a Ralphs, Albertsons? Do you have health food/ organic grocers? Are supermarkets open 24hours? Do you have a 24hr fitness and/or Ballys?

Are there places you can to to learn to ride a horse? They smell pretty bad (actually, I've never smelled one before, but I would think they don't smell that good), but if I just spray them with some Febreeze or something, may be it would be fun to ride one. What other outdoorsy things are there to do? I'm not much of the outdoorsy type (I've never even been camping), but I think that I can learn to enjoy nature. I love the ocean, and that's nature. Can you go ATVing? That's fun. So someone mentioned that there's a lake somewhere around Lincoln. Is that far?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 AM

Cafe,

Okay, we'll drop the identity issue.

The Tanglewood apartment complex is made up of several large buildings (I would estimate 10 to 12 maybe). You access your apartment from the inside of the building. If I remember correctly Tanglewood also had a secure entrance. This apartment complex design isn't necessarily typical, but its not out of the norm either. There are a variety of apartment types in Lincoln and certainly you can find some that are consistent with what you have described. I would just check out apartmentguide.com or something equivalent.

We used to have an Albertson's, however Albertson's, in general, has undergone some significant downsizing and many around the midwest have been closing. We have plenty of 24 hour grocers though, in fact I would say nearly all of them are 24 hour stores. I would say Hy-Vee or Russ's Market are the two best in Lincoln. There is also Super-Saver, but its more of a warehouse type grocer and I'm not a big fan of that. And to make sure you're not misunderstanding me, these are chains...not individual stores. I don't want you thinking there are only 3 or 4 grocery stores in Lincoln! There is one on every corner, so don't worry. I'm not sure about the organic grocers. I know there are several in Omaha, but I'm not positive about Lincoln. I would imagine there are some in south Lincoln.

I'm not sure if there is a 24-hour Fitness or not. I use a gym downtown. There is no Bally's, at least that I'm aware. There are several 24 hour, or nearly all night fitness centers. You may also keep in mind that the student rec center has excellent facilities. In fact, they're the 2nd best in Lincoln...the best is the football team's facilities. Actually, at least as of a few years ago, the student weight room was the 2nd biggest in the Big 12 conference...again, the first was Nebraska's football team weight room. The reason I bring this up is that you'll have free access to these facilities if you choose to use them. If not then there are tons of gyms around Lincoln that surely would fit your needs.

Are you being serious about the horse thing??? Or are you just goofing around? I grew up in a rural area, so horses are all around and generally everyone has at least ridden one. In Lincoln though that is not at all the case and I have no idea where to find a place to do this. I'm sure there is some sort of place to do this, but I have no idea where. Same pretty much goes for the ATV question. Having growing up in a rural area I grew with all this stuff practically in my back yard, so I don't go out looking for the stuff in Lincoln, but I'm sure they are readily available if you look. If you haven't done these things then I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity. These things are really fun, so enjoy it.

There are many lakes around the Lincoln area and all are minutes away. Branched Oak, Holmes Lake, and Yankee Hill Lake are a few. Again, all of Lincoln can be driven in about 20 minutes and all of these lakes are within this bubble.

I would also remind you that Omaha is only about a 35-40 minute drive from Lincoln and there are an abundant amount of things to do there as well. It may help you a bit with your metropolis withdrawal. Omaha has more of a metropolitan feel to it.

So, for the record, I have made my final decision concerning law school. I will be attending in fall and I'll be mailing in my deposit on Monday. Now its a mad dash to finalize and defend my dissertation before August...only a few hundred more pages to go....woo hoo!!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 AM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Default cafe du monde, et all

I know you don't want to argue about the identity theft thing, and I actually find such concerns overblown. I saw a story on TV where the police said most identity theft is done the old fashioned way, e.g. taking stuff out of mailboxes, etc rather than on the internet. Whatever.

I do want to respond to Matt's comments about the phone book. When you get a land line, you have a choice of being listed or not, and if you choose to be listed, how you want your listing to read. You can have no address, just first initial and last name, etc. A bit different than a student directory that is open to anyone, even w/o a password. My kids have gone to college in the midwest (Minn and Indiana) and they don't do that at their schools.

In re: the religion issue: my DH is from Omaha; most of his family is pretty non-religious. No one ever seemed to care (except perhaps the family memebers who are religious). I have not spent more than one night in Lincoln, but as a college town, I doubt most people care, even if they go to church themselves. I do remember reading a college guide book that asked students at various colleges to describe a typical weekend. They all said similar things for Friday and Sat nights (party, drink, etc), but the U of Nebraska was the only one that mentioned going to church on Sunday. Again, whatever, it was only a survey, and not exactly statistically valid. FWIW

Old 04-01-2007, 06:02 PM

30,331 posts, read 16,828,950 times
Exclamation No Trader Joe's in Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe du monde View Post
<snipped>
What are the supermarkets there? Do you have a Ralphs, Albertsons? Do you have health food/ organic grocers? Are supermarkets open 24hours?
<snipped>
Cafe Du Monde,

The last time I visited Omaha, I remembered a couple of grocery stores there were Baker's Supermarkets and Hy-Vee. There was also a Cub Foods that I remember that was near my friends' house. Oh, and I remember an Albertson's or two as well. I would think that Lincoln has the same stores as Omaha, but I'm not sure, since I've never been to Lincoln.

However, being from California, I'm sure you've been to Trader Joe's (since they got their start here), and they're located in many other states, if you look at their website. Just be forewarned that if you're a Trader Joe's fan like me, there are NONE in the entire state of Nebraska (none in Colorado either, and lots of Californians are moving there all the time). I don't know if Nebraska has anything equivalent to Trader Joe's. Just thought you should know that ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or